The mouse Apple should've made or atleast made it an option.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ITR 81, Dec 18, 2003.

1. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

It's the Apple Mouse basically but has intergrated 2 buttons and a scroll wheel.

To find out more about the this optical USB mouse go to:

www.macmice.com

They say they will be at Macworld so if you go you can try them out for yourself.

Looks like a good product even though it's not made by Apple.

2. smada macrumors member

theyre also planning to come out with a wireless version at macworld. if they do, im getting one. no questions.

3. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Only 1000 made, and only 400 left as of this writing, at 40 bucks each.

Well...if it were wireless....;)

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Has anyone used one of these, or know where they have a good review? I've never seen a review of one of these. They do look very good, if they were wireless.

5. ITR 81 thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually they just recently came out.
    Their first mouse ad is in MacAddict's Jan 04' edition.

[​IMG]

So far they are USB only but I bet if they prove popular we'll see a wireless ver. shortly.

They probably won't get reviewed until sometime after Macworld since they will have booth there as well so folks can play with them.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If it were wireless and had a blue light I would be all over one.

7. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

that's the first good-looking mac mouse alternative i've ever seen. wireless? bring it on.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The best looking Mac mouse I have ever seen has been the Kensington Studio Mouse, it is amazingly beautiful and unique, but unfortunately its wireless version uses RF instead of Bluetooth. :(

9. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

10. Kid Red macrumors 65816

They still make those?

11. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

yes, are they're freakin' swell.

12. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Isn't that the store owned by the infamous jack campbell?

I've never personally dealt with this company but have heard enough bad things to make me stay far away. I personally wouldn't even consider ordering from there. But thats just me. You'll have to search around and form your own opinion.

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Just out of curiosity, have you ever actually spent a long, and I mean extended, period of time with a multi-button mouse and scrollwheel in OS X? I would never, ever go back to a one-button mouse. There's too much functionality at stake.

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Are there any good multi-button bluetooth optical mice out there for OS X? I just haven't found anything that seemed very impressive so far. I love the Kensington but it is RF and so is most of the Logitech stuff it seems. I've seen lots of Microsoft mice, but I've heard they are pretty choppy.

15. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Me too.

16. ITR 81 thread starter macrumors 65816

"Kensington Studio Mouse" is what I use as well and I recommend to everyone I know. I have the USB ver.

Well I the the macmice mouse can only go so far in copying the Apple mouse before Apple gets pissy. I'm sure us can hack it and put a Apple logo under it's shell and change the red leds to blue ones.

17. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

yes, i have use a two-buttoned mouse with scroll wheel, it was actually my GF's kensington studio Mouse... while I think the funtionality is good... I don't think it warrants to lesser aesthetic appeal of my Apple Bluetooth Mouse and powermate... I next to always have one hand on the keyboard for shortcuts and the like as well...

so... one for mouse, other for shortcuts and powermate. it's the way I work and it's so efficient...

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I like one-buttoned mice, but price is the main concern here. There is no way I'm spending $70 on a mouse (Apple's wireless mouse). If Macmice can make a $40 (or lower) BT mouse, then I might consider it.

19. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

In all honesty, for about 85% of my Mac use, I use my stock One-Button mouse. It's just that it looks so cool and is a neat feat of engineering. Otherwise, yeah, I use a logitech two-buttoned scroll wheel.

20. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

yeah, i think any other company that produces a wireless mouse and not use the built-in bluetooth available to all powerbooks will be shooting themselves in the foot...

21. mms macrumors 6502a

Two button mice are the best. Those contexual menus make everything easier and I can't live without a scroll wheel. Although I personally prefer trackballs, I would be willing to give it a try if it is as good as the Apple mouse in terms of tracking.

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

Damn straight.

I don't like scroll wheels all that much. Too much finger work. (There are much better finger exercises than spinning a wheel. :p)

Plus, often, I click above or below the scroll bar to jump a whole page and skip areas of a page I don't want to read. So I don't need the scroll wheel.

Although I can see the beneficial functionality of a two button mouse (and I deal with those quite often at college, and I have at my H.S. fairly often as well...I know what they're like), I like the simplicity of one button. And, actually, if you think about it, you don't get things done too much faster with a second button. You still would have to use option-click or command-click for some Finder shortcuts, in which case a four button mouse would be sufficient.

(Oh, and I used to use a Kensington four button + trackball for about a year. That was HELL, since LITERALLY 5 to 10% of the time I clicked a button on that damn thing, the computer didn't respond. That s*** didn't happen with any other mouse as often, except maybe the MacAlly iBall bondi blue :mad:)

Even with a four button mouse for shortcuts, I think the "livable" factor depends not on how much functionality you devote to the mouse, but on how often you want to use strictly keyboard shortcuts.

For example, I want to delete a selected file from my desktop. (1) Drag to trash + (2) File menu > Empty Trash + (3) Confirm - takes about three seconds. There is also the likelyhood of misclicking. In contrast, (1) click + (2) command + delete + (3) option + command + shift + delete - takes about one second. There is less of a likelyhood of misclicking, since only one mouse operation, the click, is required.

Basically, the preference of a one or two button mouse comes down to the force of habit of how much someone knows/wants to use key commands. I wouldn't be surprised to meet a one button computer user, who relies on key commands more often than the two button mouse user.

23. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

misclicking is a problem, but there is much less likelyhood that you will press command+shift+delete by mistake... (that is the shortcut to empty trash)... I also turned off empty trash confirmation BECAUSE you'd never press that combination by mistake anyway.

24. ksz macrumors 68000

The Great Mouse Debate is not going to end anytime soon and nor should it. It's a matter of how well the human interface device is adapted to a user, and how well the user adapts to the device. Computers are all-purpose machines which means they make possible a boundless set of use cases. Some use cases - and users - are better served by one button, other use cases are better served by different configurations.

Before the Context Menu was invented and widely adopted, there was little justification for the 2nd button. Before the popularity of the Internet (and more specifically the shift to reading magazine, newspaper, research, and other articles online), there was little need for the scroll wheel.

But when you're using a highly object oriented application or operating system, it is a natural and effective evolution of the human interface to support context menus directly. And when reading long articles or even browsing forums such as this one, it is again a natural extension of the human interface to support direct scrolling. Several of these are leisure activities where it's enjoyable to sit in a relaxed position, hold a cup of coffee in one hand, and read the online newspaper and whatever else with the mouse - without the inconvenience (and time) of having to maneuver the mouse pointer into up/down scrollbar icons or having to drag the thumb, both of which require you to take your eyes momentarily off the text you're reading to make sure the mouse pointer is properly situated.

Further, when there are scrollable text boxes embedded within other scrollable text boxes, or simply multiple scrollable document windows, it's more efficient to just drag the mouse into the view (anywhere in the view) and begin scrolling.

Things change quickly in the information age. It's a dynamic world and what is true and sensible one day can become outmoded and outdated the next. I find the 3-button scrollwheel mouse to be indispensible to the way I work. I lose nothing; if I want to use only one button, I have that choice. If I am working with a rich OO application or reading documents, I find the multi-button mouse is far better adapted to me. And that, after all, is what any human interface device is supposed to do -- to adapt to you.

Memorize and use keyboard shortcuts?? Two-key shortcuts are okay (CTRL-F for find, Command-C for copy, etc.). But three-key and four-key shortcuts (can you still call them shortcuts if they require 3 or 4 keys)?? That's like fingering the chords on a piano. And what are all those symbols for Shift, Option, and Command keys?? And what's the difference between Shift-Option-<X> and Command-Option-<X> and Command-<X> and Option-<X> and Command-Shift-Option-<X>?? Forget it. I will use the mouse, thank you.

25. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

you could have a five button mouse... but that mouse will only provide you with 5 functions... what i am trying to say is that, you will have to resort to shortcuts one way or another in the long run...

so instead of simply pressing apple-v to paste, your going to move your hand to the mouse, find the cursor, move up to edit, click, find paste in a contextual menu and click again, (or release hold if that is what you prefer). give me a break...

having a single button mouse is the easiest, most efficient way... having a second button is confusing for a new user and TBH, i don't see a big enough advantage in it for apple to change its tradition and years of user conditioning...