The move is official

Discussion in 'Community' started by King Cobra, Jun 25, 2003.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

Tomorrow we finally move. All the stress that my family and I have faced has come down to this day, June 26. It will be the last 8 hour road trip we will have for moving our possessions back and forth.

Our house is in Sweden, Maine, and we bought it over a year ago. We have had to take several trips up and down from NJ to ME since then, totalling approximately ten thousand miles of driving. The task has been all but easy.

For those that remember, back in the subzero, wintery January in Maine, we had a problem with our pipes bursting, because an expected fuel delivery for our heat did not arrive. This has been repaired under our insurance.

Lack of support from several other companies has added to our hardships. One in particular, Bluedog, failed to deliver a water softener after months of our asking and patience. I would expect that once we have a water softener installed, and after Mr. Bluedog has finished checking his build up of voicemail each weekend, Bluedog will literally turn blue in the face.

A more critical incident with Bluedog occured when he failed to fix a small leak in our kitchen ceiling a matter of months ago. As a result, the ceiling ended up on our kitchen floor. Again, our insurance came to our greatly needed aid.

Other companies have surpassed my parents' expectations. We hired a company, A+ plumbing, to restore our resulting kitchen ceiling floor disaster with a fresh ceiling. The expected job completion date was farther than the actual time of replacing the ceiling by several days.

Even with all of these positive and negative experiences, we experienced positives and unfortunate hardships of our own. One of our most dangerous challenges has been moving our small billiard table up flights of stairs in its parts. The transportation of three cut slices of billiard bed slate, each weighing at least 150 pounds (or about 68 kilograms), was not fun, but it was successful.

Pot plants from our home in NJ were also being transferred, but not all of them stayed packed tight. One particular trip up involved carrying many plants, some small pot plants, in our recently cleaned corvette. A simple slam on the breaks caused one pot plant to tip forward, spilling a variety of soils between the driver and passanger seat.

Needless to say, that was the past, and our last trip up will be soon. What will not be soon, though, is central air for the heat that will bear down on our area. Speaking from experience, it gets both hot and cold around our property, about 250 meters above sea level.

I will be offline from Macrumors until I have more free time to visit the forums again. Wish our family the best of luck. We will need it.

(4000)

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Transporting pot plants is a difficult task, especially since they're hard to conceal and transporting that many over state lines is probably a federal charge - trafficking and intent to deliver. I suggest putting a false wall in a moving truck.

Oh, wait, did you mean potted plants??

:)
    pnw

3. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Geez, what's up in Sweden, Maine? I've been to Maine and well, it's, uh, quaint I guess. Felt like time was standing still.

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    it might have taken a few less trips/time if you'd used something a little larger than a vette to move in....;)

i hear maine is quite nice.
    good luck.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

make sure you put some laundry detergent in the back with the plants and watch out for sniffing dogs.

iJon

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

wow, good luck with that move. that's some pretty nasty karma you've had lately. i hope things turn around.

by the way, you've shown me a bug in the forums. you made a link your location and it causes your post user info to take up about half the browser window... mind putting a space in it or something?

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes, it is going to be very annoying, that glitch happens for mine too. :p

Eh, I'm sure I will get a PM soon telling my my profile has been locked or something, I just hope they will be nice the first time around.

That could be pretty malicious tho.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Welcome to New England, King Cobra! I hope that your move will go smoothly. What part of Maine is Sweeden located?

9. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I've never heard of Sweden, Maine. Well, good luck with everthing!

10. job macrumors 68040

job

did anyone else notice that KC is not listed in the members list?

do a search for his user name, it's not there. look at the top ten posters. he should be just above scem0 but isn't.

i'm confused...

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a strange find indeed. Maybe King Cobra will explain his missing presence in the members list! :confused:

12. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That is strange how he isn't in the member list. I also noticed that he's no longer a Demi-God. But, that could just be that his subscription ended.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it could be that he changed his email address, and has to re-activate his account via email confirmation.

same happened to ambitiouslemon a few months ago i believe.

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

it happened to scem0 too, i think, heh. i hope he is not tendering his resignation :(
    KC, that is.

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

scem0 confirmed it again??? dang!

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Either he's changed his email address, and it hasn't been "activated" to his account, or he's let his demi-godness lapse & he is no longer.

As for the move, good luck man. Keep us posted on any interesting updates. ;)

17. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

The last few days have been rough. Now we have phone problems, and we had to suffer for a short while in a house without air conditioning and in the blistering heat and humidity. Before I had an AC put in my room temp. my room was a solid 30ºC (at least 86ºF) for several hours.

And it's just my luck to catch a cold and sore throat 42 hours before we move. I had to see a doctor. Add that to the overheated environment, and the sum makes for a bearly livable environment.

To clear up a few things in this thread, yes, I did change my email. Yes, I did put a link in my "location", but it is removed.

No, my moving has nothing to do with scem's account. At least nothing that I would mention in public. :p

I am in the memberslist.

JesseJames, your post reminded me of something I want to post. I’m not sure if you know what Sweden, Maine is like, and it’s pretty hard to explain. So let me put the town in the perspective of the following anaolgies:

You know Sweden, Maine is isolated when it is illegal to build anything but homes and farmlands anywhere in the town.

You know the town is often traveled because you have to visit another town to eat out or to buy things at a supermarket.

You know the town is quiet when a driver is arrested for honking his horn at a tourist.

You know the town is a millionaire’s resort when tourists are stared at quietly with a telescope.

You know the town is vacant when you have to own a property with no less than 2.5 acres of land.

You know that you have entered a backstreet in Sweden, Maine, when the road immediately loses pavement, unlike the traditional slow to a crawl before you realize you are in mud.

You know the town is very isolated when you can use your cell phones for everything except its intended purpose.

Expect to be started down by home owners if you ask to have an alarm put in your house, even though there are less than 300 people living in the town.

There are no speed limits in Sweden since there are also no traffic lights in the town.

You’ll know when you are entering the center of town when you steadily drive pass two road signs in under four seconds.

You’ll also know you’ve hit the center of town when you come up to a white house with a garage door and a light on the corner of the gutters. That house is the town’s firestation.

You know that you’ve entered the mountainous region of Sweden, Maine, when you find it takes an extra 10 minutes to cook a live, wild turkey.

You know that the town is dark at night when there are no streetlamps anywhere in the town.

It’s easier to look for a street in the town than it is to find the town on a map.

You’ll know that you’ve set a record for the highest percentage of people in one house within the town by inviting 15 of your friends over to your house in Sweden. That comes out to around 5% of the town.

And, finally:

You know that you are in New England when you enter the town, not the country, of Sweden, Maine.

My Demi-status doesn't expire until mid-July. No more 68040 for a while.