Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
...sort of. I finally got a hold of my own name as a domain and spent the last couple days populating it with some content.

Here it is.

Basically it's more of a landing page so if someone happens to search for my name (eventually this will be a top hit), they can easily find me and some of my websites.

And on a related note, This is my first site on MediaTemple. So far, I love it. It was so easy to get SVN running on it and their admin tools are very organized and easy to use. Their 24/7 phone support is awesome. I called late in the evening 3 times and I had a support guy on the phone within a minute each time. They were all very knowledgeable as well. Now I just have to migrate my other sites over to MT. The experience so far with their new GS service has been really great.

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
...sort of. I finally got a hold of my own name as a domain and spent the last couple days populating it with some content.

Here it is.

Basically it's more of a landing page so if someone happens to search for my name (eventually this will be a top hit), they can easily find me and some of my websites.

And on a related note, This is my first site on MediaTemple. So far, I love it. It was so easy to get SVN running on it and their admin tools are very organized and easy to use. Their 24/7 phone support is awesome. I called late in the evening 3 times and I had a support guy on the phone within a minute each time. They were all very knowledgeable as well. Now I just have to migrate my other sites over to MT. The experience so far with their new GS service has been really great.

Amazing Work.

You do a really great job and are a fantastic designer.
haha, whenever I find myself in a like 'designers block' i find myself looking at some of your designs for inspiration...

Enjoy MT, I've been using them to host all of my clients for a few months now, and I'm moving my site over there, well the live version, as soon as I finish it (on that note, am I crazy or does it seem more challangeing to develop a website when you are also the client). Anyway great job

cooper

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
Amazing work! Everything is really clean and pleasing to the eye. I wish my designs came out like that. They start out like yours in my head, but they don't quite materialize as nicely. :D

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
you might want to read this webhosting talk thread about the MT grid servers. i had them for about a month before leaving in disgust at how bad their service is, even after the customer service manager gave me 2 free months. their (gs) product has massive problems with downtime and slow load times.

Being a previous Dreamhost customer, I think I can manage a few rough bumps of a new platform. :D

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
i think a few rough bumps is fine. i think that having my sites out for hours at a time, and super slow downloads is in the realm of them being incompetent morons. do a search and you will see many, many, many blog posts and forum threads about it. they were talking about fixing it with some kind of server upgrade but even after that there are still massive problems, then i left. maybe in a year or two it will be OK.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
I checked out your Devianart and its pretty cool. I even downloaded Stattoo, but where did you get that desktop picture on the Rust Boy Website?

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I love the whole idea for a personal site. The graphics on the left immediately tell me something about you, the text in the middle helps people find how they want to connect with you, and the stuff on the right is useful. It flows left to right from personal to utilitarian and visual to text and unstructured to structured. It makes sense (to me) and it looks cool at the same time.

I have a question about the images on the left. I'm a Photoshop newbie and I'm wondering how you processed those images to get that look. I don't even know the terms to describe it (but I'll take a shot). The colors look saturated and the gradients look artificial like the color palette was flattened. The Oakley glasses only have a few colors despite the highlighting along the top front edge. Almost a rotoscoped look where the colors have been drawn over to make them look more like cartoons. The Xbox controller has the same look.

I'm asking because I like the look and I'd like to learn how to do something similar.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
I love the whole idea for a personal site. The graphics on the left immediately tell me something about you, the text in the middle helps people find how they want to connect with you, and the stuff on the right is useful. It flows left to right from personal to utilitarian and visual to text and unstructured to structured. It makes sense (to me) and it looks cool at the same time.

I have a question about the images on the left. I'm a Photoshop newbie and I'm wondering how you processed those images to get that look. I don't even know the terms to describe it (but I'll take a shot). The colors look saturated and the gradients look artificial like the color palette was flattened. The Oakley glasses only have a few colors despite the highlighting along the top front edge. Almost a rotoscoped look where the colors have been drawn over to make them look more like cartoons. The Xbox controller has the same look.

I'm asking because I like the look and I'd like to learn how to do something similar.

The imagery was pretty simple. Basically cut out all the elements (sources were mostly from photos). Then I used the burn and dodge tool to create more pronounced highlights and shadows. I also gave each element a drop shadow of various weights and sharpness depending on the type of item. And of course adjust the colors/contrast where necessary.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
You really have a lot of talent :cool: I love the colors, graphics, but most of all I love the layout. Its different but completely makes sense! :)

Good to know that your liking mt. With so many people trying to make affiliate money on hosting, its hard to tell who is the best host. I'm torn between mt and small orange.

sepu

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
that is a very nice site ! Congratulations. Excellent work as well.
I have a question if you dont mind answering.
how did you do those previews on images ? it looks something similar to lightbox ? its a javascript code ? or ajax ? do you have any site or something that you could share with us on how to achieve something like that.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.