The movie "First Descent"!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macartistkel, Nov 26, 2005.

1. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Looks dumb. Sorry, that's just my opinion. Hope it is good for your sake, since you seem to be excited about it.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. macartistkel thread starter macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Ahhh....its a documentary more than a movie anyway! And it has several of my favorite riders in it too! Hannah Teter will take a gold medal home for the US at the Winter Olympics for sure next year! I just love any snowboarding films though....I am also a huge fan of Warren Miller films--now those movies are awesome!!

Oh well, I will be at the theaters on Dec. 2nd for sure either way it turns out!! :)

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

We saw the trailer for this on TV last night... there are only two words to describe what these snowboarders are:

In sane.

It looks kinda cool, but I have to say that this doesn't seem worthy of a theatrical release, in the same way that Step Into Liquid didn't seem worthy of a theatrical release. It's going to do a LOT more business on DVD and on a premium network (HBO or something) than it will do in the theatres.

5. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Stunts like that deserve to be seen on the big screens such as those in movie theaters. This is where you get to appreciate the the hight, distance and shire size of the mountains and jumps that they make. I for one am just amazed at the stuff that those guys can do. I wouldn't be able to walk of a mountains that they simple ride off from. You have to admit guys that it takes real guts to do stuff like that, and it sure gets the adrenaline pumpin' in your blood.

6. macartistkel thread starter macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Probably true! I just hope it releases in my town ro I will have to drive wherever to see it. I am not just saying this because I love the sport so much or that my career goal is to work in the youth action sports and snowboard industry, but I think great snowboarding and skiing films can be appreciated by people who do not even participate in the sport. The footage is amazing to me and I love the stunning scenery most of all.

To comment on Lacero's post again, I do not think this movie looks dumb at all---maybe a little IN SANE in some parts ;) ---any footage of some of the best known pros in a place like Alaska cannot suck whatsoever! :)

Well I am taking my board to get waxed today and I will be out on the slopes by the end of next week hopefully!! This movie pumped me up! :)

7. macartistkel thread starter macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Thank you, I was writing about appreciating this sport while you were typing your post!! I AM SO PUMPED UP and like I said, going right now to get my snowboard waxed!!

I just wished I lived around BIGGER MOUNTAINS, but I will be going out west at some point in the next couple months!! :)

8. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i saw the preview to this movie the other day and am also interested in seeing it. i board too and am lucky enough to live just a few hours away from lake tahoe and usually try to make it up there every weekend during the season to do some boarding. and i can't wait for this season to start! :p we just need more SNOW! :)

9. macartistkel thread starter macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Hey r6girl, YOU ARE VERY LUCKY and at least you get to ride on real snow!! I rarely get that...its all fake snow makers and riding on ice for me (but I still love getting to do that much!!). I will be out in Cali in early Spring though, but at Mammoth Mountain. I get emailed the snow report from MM every day. I am so jealous about you west coasters!! :)

10. Megatron macrumors regular

First Descent looks like it's going to be pretty amazing.

Might I make a recommendation: For a really good snowboarding DVD - check out "Pop" - the scenes are incredible, especially this ridiculous long range jump by Travis Rice - and the soundtrack that they set the DVD to is amazing.

Here's to getting a lot of snow this year!

Gotta go get my board waxed up.. :cool:

11. macartistkel thread starter macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I will definitely check out Pop--thanks for posting the suggestion! :)

And I dropped my board off tonight finally for a tune up and wax!! Looks like I'll be ready to ride in a couple of days! :cool:

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

gah, when i saw the thread title i thought it would be a descent movie! i mean, doom got one (an excellent one) so why shouldn't descent? :(

:p:p:p:pjust kidding:p:p:p:p

13. Megatron macrumors regular

Macartistkel - what mountains do you usually board at? Bristol is pretty far south - about as south as you can get in VA right? I'm from northern VA - so most of my boarding I do in pennslyvania, although I've gone to Snowshoe in West Va a few times - that place is great!

14. macartistkel thread starter macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

THIS MOVIE/DOCUMENTARY is AWESOME!! :)

I have waited for weeks and Amazon FINALLY shipped me my copy yesterday!! I love it...its inspirational, kick ass, and seriously made me super happy the whole time watching it!!! :)

ANYONE can appreciate this movie, not just snowboarders and skiers!! :)