the movie they should make next is the Chronicles of Narnia

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Feb 29, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

Right when LOTR came out I started to think they should remake the Chronicles of Narnia into a movie, and have been saying that ever since. I think that would be cool, how bout you guys?

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Great books! :D But, as my mother always says "Some books are best left as books." There are books like Harry Potter that would not have had to be made into movies. Don't get me wrong, they would be great movies - but there are 7 books, right?

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Actually they have already made the Chronicles of Narnia into movies....awhile back.....not nearly as grand as LOTR though. I believe they should do The Space Trilogy (another 3 book set by C.S. Lewis: Out Of The Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength)

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

C.D. Lewis rocks.

How many of you all know of the connection between this man and J.R.R Tolkein?

also... i heard that they are currently making chronicles of narnia into a movie/s on the same level of lotr.

5. Opteron macrumors 6502

I was really hoping the Dune series would come next.

I know there was a movie made ages ago (I have it on LD,) and since then there has been 6 short films, 3 of which are based on the Children of Dune book. I just think The series diserves something as grand as the LOTR's books got.

6. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Books for Movies

His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman
    Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass.
    and
    The Gormanghast Trilogy - Merv. Peake
    (made more darkly and adult than the BBC did it) :)

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Didn't they teach together at Oxford?

The Narnian Chronicles are a bit to scattered temporally to make a good movie or series of movies. You have the beginning of the world in book 7(The Magicians Nephew) and then end of it in book 9.(The last battle) Then you have the Horse and His Boy which takes place during the last chapter of book 1.

8. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

http://www.narnia.com/

How about this?

To be honest, these would be quite interesting to see the reaction to, particuarly in "The Last Battle" and "A Horse and His Boy" - both with serious racial undertones (the portrayal of Arab-like people).

The Sliver Chair is by far the best book, though. Much more dark and serious, and much less of a children's book than the others...

9. thecow macrumors 6502

And they cut out so much from the 2nd movie and that book is about 7 times shorter than the 5th one. The 4th and 5th movies are either going to be 3 hours long or be drasticly cut shorter than the books.

10. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I read these books LOOooooong ago

I always considered the seven books more like a series, with connecting threads in some places. I doubt making all seven would be feasable. Maybe just "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe" and "the silver chair" and "the last battle." The other books seem more random and philosophical, and not meant for film. I dunno though. Like I said, its been a loooong time.

11. Steradian macrumors 6502

They were both in the "inklings", a kinda of group that met every-once and a while and critiqued each others work, it is said that the voice of C.D Lewis is what inspired the slow booming voice of Treebeard in the series.

Take a look ;) :p http://www.l-space.de/inklings.html#general

12. jwsellers macrumors newbie

Disney is way ahead of you

From The Guardian
    Narnia film on the cards

The plan is to have Shrek director Andrew Adamson do this.

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    What about Prince Caspian or the Voyage of the Dawn Treader? Two excellent adventure type books.

14. robotjustin macrumors newbie

disneyfied

Yulk. I love those books, and as a Catholic, I apppreciate their religious undertones.

Disney + Shrek director? We'll get farting fauns and New Agey earth religion songs.

Who manages this guys books?

At least Jackson, no matter what his religious leanings are, kept a lot of Tolkein's Catholic philosophies in the flicks.

Anybody but Disney!

:confused: :( :mad:

15. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Narnia books would be excellent, but I hope they treat them as adult movies (a la LOTR) and not childrens' books made for film (Harry Potter, most other Disney product).

I'd most like to see Asimov's Foundation trilogy on film. Might be to big, though.

16. hsilver macrumors regular

from nzoom site:

Hard on the heels of the success of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, it has been confirmed that another epic fantasy will be filmed in New Zealand.

New Zealand director Andrew Adamson, the man behind Shrek, will bring to life the C.S Lewis classic The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe with a budget of more than $150 million.

The Rings trilogy showcased New Zealand's landscapes and so will Narnia with much of it being filmed in the South Island's high country

It is scheduled to be released for Christmas this year.

Wonder what Mel Gibson thinks of Aslan?

17. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

I've read the first (by first I mean Magician's Nephew) and second (which was actually the first).

And I saw the movies.......which were like The Wizard of Oz almost. After that I have lost interest in them.

Personally, I think they should make a Lord of the Rings level Hitchhiker Series; yeah I know, that seems impossible. :p And anyway, I think they should stop making books into movies unless I haven't read them. :D

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Amen to that! Those are my two favorite books in the series. And the Space Trilogy's pretty cool too... (I'm re-reading it right now, as a matter of fact.)

19. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

That I would like to see. It would definitely take more than one film though.

20. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Well they are making the first one at least. Link

21. Tusk macrumors newbie

JRR Tolkien was also primarily involved with leading CS Lewis to Christ. I love the imagery at the battle of Helms Deep when Gandolf the White comes riding down the hill with his army behind him and the enemy is blinded by the light as bright as the sun.

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

23. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

yay for threads that have been brought back from the dead!
    If they were to make a new set of movies out of really good fantasy books, I would definitely either suggest The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series, by Tad Williams (I love that series- I've read it at least 3 or 4 times), or Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series.

24. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

they did do a TV miniseries of narnia a long time ago. i think it may have been british. i only saw it once when i was a kid, on PBS, so i don't remember much about it at all, other than that the books were split up into episodes. don't recall if it was one episode per book, or if they split them up further.

there's a book called the Inklings (Humphrey Carpenter) that traces the history of Lewis & Tolkein and the rest of their group -- pretty interesting, if you're into biography or literary history.