The mysteries of the November Election...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Oct 3, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Let me preface things by stating I am currently hung-over, so forgive any resultant lack of concise thought...thanks. That said:

Reading or watching News about the upcoming Election, through articles, polls, commentary and from discussing such topics here at MR, one gets the idea that this will be a very close Election come November.

To myself personally, it seems rather ridiculous that things would be this close, as Bush has a verifiable track-record that would seem to preclude any re-election chances.

On the other hand, Bush does have a powerful spin-machine behind him and a rather complicit media in general combined with a traditionally lazy electorate.

An important difference however, is much of the grass-roots canvasing going on in States around the Nation. One of my best friends currently works for such an Organization. It is well-funded and well-organized (receives funding from Soros) and motivates relatively untapped demographics for voting and for Kerry. There have been quite a few National news stories about the effects of such efforts - a sizeable increase in new Democratic voters in many swing states. Stories told to me by my friend seem to reinforce the fact that there is a mobilization of previously apathetic voters of a rather unprecendented scale.

These realities do not seem to be reflected in polling data, or in traditional media coverage of the Election. With that in mind, do you feel that this Election may prove to be much different come Election time, with this somewhat unrecognized voter mobilization?

Also, is there a concerted Republican activity to counter this at a grass roots level? I have not heard of one, but am curious...

Finally, any opinions on what an independently-funded partisan Voter mobilization means to our Election system? Kerry may be at a disadvantage financially coming into the home strech vs Bush, but with organizations such as this, the effects are somewhat mitigated. Nevertheless, is this a good trend for domestic Politics? Is it fair?

Opinions? Comments?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Isn't the attempt to co-opt the churches the Republican version?

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Frankly, with the state of things, I'm not surprised you got drunk.

According to the people I have spoken with, there is a very large amount of new voters registering simply to defeat Bush. There may be a few people who care enough to vote for Bush when they wouldn't normally, but most of them were already planning to do so. The polls are taken from people who have previously voted, they are not reflecting the new voters. Also, I think some people may be using the close poll numbers to get people actively wanting to defeat Bush.

Some people actually do want to vote for Bush. I know it's hard to believe, but it's not just a vote against Kerry. They think, despite the problems, he is doing a good job against terrorism no matter what anyone else says. They don't mind that he's not a good speaker, and actually identify with his "down-home charms", forgetting his privileged upbringing and questionable past. They believe what conservatives say about Kerry, more than actually listening to what Kerry himself says. They are afraid of living in a Vegetarian, Godless, French/Liberal world of gay marriges and no guns.

Some people you just cannot reason with. They claim that we are being hoodwinked and can't think for ourselves while spouting rhetoric without actually understanding what they are saying. Like Windows users. Michael Moore is bad, but they'll be damned if they will watch his smear film.

Not much you can do other than to vote in droves against this man, even if your alternative is John Kerry.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Exactly. He's got Karl Rove trying to convince everyone that war is peace, freedom is slavery, and ignorance is strength.

He's also got the huge right-wing media machine that has been building itself up ever since that egg-sucker Reagan got rid of the Equal Time rule. And the rest of the media simply seems too cowed to blow the whistle on Bush's lies.

God bless George Soros and MoveOn.org (and similar organizations). Without them, the aforementioned right-wing media would be in a much better position to help Bush steal the election again.

Can't speak for anywhere else, but in Ohio the Democrats have been registering new voters in a 3-to-1 ratio over Republicans.

Well, frankly, I don't like the idea of 527s, primarily because in the hands of people like Rove & Co., they can be used to disseminate disinformation instead of truth. And that sure as hell doesn't help the democratic process.

OTOH, liberals have finally gotten smart enough to use the same tools for truth, and as Al Franken says, we've been takin' it, and takin' it, and takin' it, and now we're fighting back -- the important difference being that liberals don't have to lie about Bush's record, they just have to show it for what it is.

In the final analysis, partisan independent political organizations are kind of like A-bombs. Everybody would prefer they didn't exist, but since the other guy does have 'em, you've gotta have 'em as well.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah I don't have time to pull the links for you right now, but the GOP has not been idle in the face of increased voter registration. The strategy is to 'suppress the vote' in areas that tend to vote democratic.

Look in Colorado for example. One official there has ordered any voter registration forms NOT on 80# cardstock to be invalidated. Why? Because the local paper ran a voter registration form on newsprint.

Also, smear tactics tend to turn off the undecideds, so the more they are used the lower turnout will be.

We've seen how the felon's lists have been used.

We'll see road closures, voters turned away at the polling place, and all manner of other dirty tricks.

High voter turnout BTW, favors Kerry.