The Mystery Of Dalaro

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Feb 23, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

The 2nd car ad that has recently caught my attention (after the über-retro Golf ad), this is the latest slot for Volvo's new S40, imagine Mercedes 'Lucky Star' campaign, and a little bit of BMW Films all mixed up in a lo-fi docu style... ;)

http://www.news40.volvocars.co.uk/flash/default.asp

I just received my free DVD this morning, and I quite like it... ;) the car ain't bad either... it's right up there with the Audi A4 for design... ;)

2. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Got my free dvd last wednesday, is it really a mystery or did they all just get given cars for participating in the documentary??

The car is nice though, a big improvement over the rapidly ageing current S40 which they're now selling as the S40 Classic. Looks smaller than the old version as well, but is that actually the case or is it just the design?

*edit* Anyone know when some new BMW films will be released? Surely they need some new ones for the 7 Series, 5 Series and the X3? I remember seeing an interview with some actor (Unfortunately i can't remember who it was though) and he was on the set of a BMW film with the 5 Series in, but that was months and months ago, before the 5 Series actually went on sale IIRC and yet it still isn't out yet!

3. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Hmmmm, y'all get a different S40 than we do, huh? I definitely like its looks over the old one. Dumb question: does saloon = sedan? Sort of related - have you seen the new A6? The pix of the "European model" are fantastic.

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Saloon = Sedan, Estate = Stationwagon, but not sure what you guys call a hatchback ( 4 doors + boot (trunk) access to car interior....??

I must say I do like the new S40, it's VERY audi A4... but if you look at the interior, it has a very innovative thin, narrow centre console, with all major functions controlled by just 4 dials, apparently the boss at Audi when shown this for the first time was alittle miffed that Audi (the interior design leaders of the car industry for the last decade) had been beaten to the idea, and on asking what the final production version would actually look like, was gobsmacked to be told from Volvo's Guy Burgoyne that this IS production... heheheh

5. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

The A6 is very nice, I really like the new grille on it. Will the A4 be getting the new corporate nose any time soon?

I think the Audi styling at the moment is really up there with the best, the cars have a nice "face", I'm trying to think of a word to describe their appearance...mellow? Understated? etc..

6. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

We call it a hatchback too. Although there is some stigma associated with that for some reason, and they are generally not very popular / available. One recent addition is the "new" Chevy Malibu "Maxx" which is sort of a cross between a hatchback and station wagon, but is not being billed as either! Often, you see "three door" instead of "hatchback" or "five door" instead of "wagon" for marketing purposes, I guess.

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

it could well be added when it hits it's mid-life facelift cycle.

The new A3 was designed with the new grill in mind, (have a look at it's snout and lurking there is the new grill waiting to be unleashed) so that will be an easy enhancement, and the new grill appears on the new A8 W12.

It's very '30's Auto Union is that grill... I love it, very distinctive, but undeniably stylish.

Audi design is the best in the business, stylish, modern, contemporary, minimal and coherent I can think of no other car company in the world that matches its quality of design, not even Ferrari, but that's because Pininfarina has lost the plot recently... *cough Daewoo cough* :eek:

8. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Just had a look in the new issue of Auto Express and they have a picture of the A4 with the new grille..as I was reading it in a shop though I didn't actually catch when it's due out, will be able to find out tomorrow as Auto Express drops through my letter box on a thursday.

Do you think the A2 will be dropped soon? Thats the only Audi I'm not a fan of, doesnt suit the rest of the range IMO.

9. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

That head on shot, that's the money shot baby!

I really wish we had the range of models and marques available to us here in the US that y'all have 'cross the pond. A2s, A3s, SEAT, Skoda, A Classes, 1 series (although that one should be coming here), Euro spec Hondas, not to mention the high efficiency diesels. Wow, lucky us, we get Kias and Hyundais and Daewoos and garbage domestic Chevys, Fords, Dodges, and Pontiacs. No class, no style, no substance, no reliability, and nearly no power, unless you want a Mustang or a pickum up truck :rolleyes:

10. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Well we also get Kia's, Hyundai's and Daewoos..no one really buys them though!

The Ford range they sell here is almost totally different to the US one as well, I don't think you get the Ka (This one below is the one I drive)
    [​IMG]

StreetKa
    [​IMG]

, Fiesta, Mondeo and Galaxy - just the Focus and the Maverick (which is the Escape in the states I believe). You get the pick up trucks instead and the bigger cars!

11. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I love the A2... it's how a contemporary Mini would be.. Issigonis would be proud. ;)

The BMW Mini is just a retro pastiche, all style, zero innovation.... Issigonis would be twirling in his grave... :rolleyes:

It's a great car, very innovative, very stylish and now with the new engine, very fast as well.... much better than the Merc A Class.

I doubt it'll be trashed anytime soon, it'll be a travesty if it is.... :(

12. Interiority macrumors member

I remember reading that the A2 was the only Audi / VW model that didn't actually pay for itself... and that it was unlikely to be continued in future. I love the styling though.

The new S40 looks like a quality piece of design work, especially the centre console. I can see myself thinking about a new V50 estate when it comes to the UK later this year. The DVD is cool as well... sort of a Swedish X-Files.

Not sure about the new Audi nose though... Perhaps OK on the A6, but the A8? I thought they'd already achieved perfection...

13. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

No, we don't have the Ka, although Car and Driver has reviewed it a couple of times. Sounds like a sweet ride! The Mondeo was here (as the Contour) but it was discontinued several years ago. I think that when Ford acquired Jaguar and they planned on using the Contour/Mondeo platform as the basis of the S and X types Jaguar stipulated no more Contour for the US. From what I remember though, that Contour seemed like an excellent car.

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

looks just dandy on the A8 to me... ;)