Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who is your favorite Mythbuster

• Total voters

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
One of the best shows on TV and it doesn't have a dedicated thread so I thought it was time for one. Its like watching evil geniuses mixed with Macgyver and a dash of Mr Wizard.:)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Very true! Mythbusters is one of my favorite shows, especially that Kari Byron..... mmmm that makes the show worth watching just for that quality ;)

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Very cool show. I'd definitely agree that it's one of the top shows on the tube.

It's hard to pin down 1 myth that would be my favorite, but the escape from Alcatraz Island is one of the best IMHO.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Mythbusters is FANTASTIC.
Seriously, the best show I've seen for a while. I could watch HOURS of it, and I sometimes do! :)
Imagine if they could combine Mythbusters and Good Eats. Oh, wow. *drool*

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Are the mythbusters a remake of ghost busters?
No.

One of my faves is the episode where they build the James Bond-style ejection seat, then try to convince people to sit in it. :D

Also was fun to watch Jamie shoot a .50 cal into the swimming pool.

Another hilarious one was watching Adam vomit into the water when they dropped him into the whirlpool...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Are the mythbusters a remake of ghost busters?
via wikipedia,
MythBusters is an American pop science television program on the Discovery Channel starring special effects experts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, who use their skills and expertise to test the validity of various rumors and urban legends in popular culture. The show, narrated by Robert Lee, is filmed primarily at M5 Industries — Hyneman's special effects workshop — and in the surrounding San Francisco Bay Area.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I liked the cat burglar episode. Trying to climb an air duct, or getting around lasers.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
man, i love this show. really enjoy when discovery does a marathon, and puts like 20 episodes back to back. even if i have seen them before, i still watch again.

can you imagine how cool that job would be. wake up, drink coffee, go to work, build stuff, and then blow it up. and get paid for doing it. wow, just wow!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Just some back round.
wikipedia said:
M5 Industries (M5i) is a visual effects company located in San Francisco, California whose primary focus is special effects props for commercials and film, stop motion animation, and animatronic puppets, they also extend into prototype development and various display projects.
M5 Industries has produced special effects for many commercials, such as a motorized 7 Up machine that shoots soda cans at people and a remote-controlled shoe for Nike. The company's previous works date back to The Right Stuff (1983).
The company was founded by Jamie Hyneman, co-host of MythBusters with Adam Savage on the Discovery Channel. The show is taped primarily in the M5 shop.
The name M5 is a misnomer. The company originally intended to be named after MI6 which provided James Bond with his gadgets in the movies.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Excellent show...very entertaining. We've missed a lot of episodes over the years though, so we've now got our TiVo working over time to find the ones we've missed.

Their application of the scientific methods (specifically thoroughness and use of controls) often leaves a lot to be desired, but that's partly a function of the difficulty/expense of the experiments and partly a function of the limitations of keeping the show reasonable. (Jamie and Adam have complained about that a little bit in the past.) It still bugs me when they don't test things as thoroughly as they could have, but it's still great TV.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I was surprised by the one where they test the trucks to see which one goes farther on one tank of gas. One with the tailgate up, one with the tailgate down.

I can't believe tailgate down won. :eek:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I was surprised by the one where they test the trucks to see which one goes farther on one tank of gas. One with the tailgate up, one with the tailgate down.

Or in that same thread, windows down AC off, or windows up, AC on.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia

FWIW, I get better mileage when I drop the tailgate on my truck. Which I generally do anytime there's no loose crap in the bed.

I wanted their jobs up until the episode with the dead pigs in the Corvette. I definitely did not envy them that day.

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
well, someone has to say it...

I think that this show is trash. They always do an absolute half-@$$ed job of everything, yet somehow they "prove" it true or false. More than that, they often seem to outright contradict their "proven" answer.

To me, nothing is more infuriating that the dissemination of horrible scientific method.

sorry:eek:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I enjoy the show, but it's definitely not always the most rigorous scientifically, but they try...

My most recent favorite was the gas cylinder one. Watching it go through the cinder block wall made me remember all the times I didn't handle cylinders with quite the respect that they are due.

I've also enjoyed the couple of episodes of Good Eats where Alton Brown does "Myth ... ummm ... Smashers."

B

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
FWIW, I get better mileage when I drop the tailgate on my truck. Which I generally do anytime there's no loose crap in the bed.

I wanted their jobs up until the episode with the dead pigs in the Corvette. I definitely did not envy them that day.

Ooh, I remember that one... made me sick :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.