The NASA MSL Rover Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eagandale4114, Aug 5, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

In just a few hours NASA will attempt to land a car sized rover on mars.

NASA TV link.

2. macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Watching the coverage

NASA engineers uses Macbook pro on the control room.

3. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Curiosity has landed

Good job!

4. macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

"Curiosity" is ironic, since they already know what's on mars... things that will rattle religion and mainstream history.

5. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Nasa just released some sweet new pictures of their findings on Mars:

Attached Files:

• pic.png
      pic.png
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
  6. macrumors 65816

juanm

I'm at the restaurant, and there's a guy just behind me complaining about the quality of the pictures, and how cheap it was for NASA to put such a bad camera on the rover, considering how inexpensive DSLR are these days!!
    :rolleyes:

7. macrumors member

Yup.... NASA spent $2.5 billion on Curiosity, and went with cheapo cameras. Makes sense :D

8. macrumors 6502a

cerote

Sure their network can handle images of that size. Screw the 14 minutes or so it takes for the 64x64 black and white images to get here.

:rolleyes:

9. macrumors 68020

LizKat

They put their money where they had to, making as sure as possible they could get the darn thing safely where it was supposed to end up in order to do its piece of the work. Their entire budget is tiny compared to what we slopped into Iraq to get back what we got on that investment, which was... let's see... well I wouldn't want this thread to end up in PRSI.

They have other more sophisticated cameras aboard anyway. They didn't need fancy ones to phone home about a safe landing. :)

10. macrumors regular

alfistas

Blimey...

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

It's probably not a joke, unfortunately. Not half of all "failed" mars missions actually failed in the slightest.

12. nishioka, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

macrumors member

I'm sure they had more pressing things to worry about - more responding to the idea that if only NASA had loaded Curiosity with $800 DSLRs that would have satisfied the person in the quote. :D

You'll get no argument from me about the budget.... it's worth watching Neil deGrasse Tyson's testimony on the matter. Out of every dollar in the federal budget, half a penny goes to NASA. We're doing this now, what could we do if we simply doubled that and gave NASA one whole penny out of every dollar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmKlA_UnX8c

13. macrumors 65816

juanm

Yes, I was tempted to go to his table and tell him about transfer times, wavelenghts, and more generally how the point wasn't to go there to take pretty postcard pictures. but I didn't bother. It got me thinking, however, into how important it is to have a component of "public domain" and how adding some eye candy and PR can make that public opinion, represented by individuals like this one don't feel cheated by scientific endeavors and discoveries, and that one of the points of the mission is actually to take pretty postcard pictures

14. macrumors newbie

Glad to see the landing was successful.

I am a big follower and supporter of space exploration programs.
    It is just too bad the budget keeps getting cut and progress is not as fast as I would like it to be.

And I'd prefer they didn't just focus on finding life.
    If they did find microscopic organisms on Mars, or something more significant, it actually might hinder further development on that planet. Then we'd have to worry about contaminating a virgin environment, or vice versa: one day bringing contaminants back to Earth. On the other hand, if life is not found on Mars, we'd be free to pave over what we want, mine minerals, etc. -- no tree-huggers acting on behalf of Martian life.

15. macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
    This really is an awesome thing. That rover should be able to unearth (unmars?) loads of very important and interesting findings.

The longevity of the Spirit and Opportunity rovers still astounds me.

What's got me excited more than anything, though, is the Cassini-Huygens probe that's been orbiting Saturn. It's fly-bys of Titan and Enceladus are revealing things that are truly amazing, but most of the world is yawning, I fear. Even this Mars rover won't impress the masses. Unless Snooki shows up or something. :rolleyes:

16. macrumors 601

Tilpots

McKayla is not impressed.

Can't get enough of that tumblr. Hopefully by Sochi...

Ready for Curiosity to get moving. Imagine the threads if it took this long every time you upgraded OSs.:D

17. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Annoying isn't it?

But if they changed 1 specification then it would involve months of testing.

18. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Years of testing! :D

19. macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

The cameras look good to me! :D I've been excited about this mission since to was announce and look forward to years of science!

20. macrumors 6502

Wow!

[​IMG]

21. macrumors G5

Macman45

^^

That is impressive...I just hope Curiosity is fully mobile and can conduct all the exploration planned. So far, things seem to be going really well.