The New Al. 15" Powerbook Hd

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mashinhead, Oct 21, 2003.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    I was considering getting a new powerbook, and i want the BTO 5400 rpm drive, but waiting for 10 days for it to ship is a problem for me (i can get to an apple store). Just how big is the difference between the 5400 vs. 4200 rpm drive???? Is it a noticable difference? If anyone knows anything about this please let me know ASaP. Thanks
  2. Xero macrumors 6502

Dec 2, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Main Pro with 5400rpm HD: Copying many or large files from another drive or to another spot on the same drive is going to be noticeably faster. Also if your working with a lot of video/audio editing, a faster drive might better suite you.

Main Con with 5400rpm HD: Your battery life will be a bit shorter with the higher powered HD.

So basically, if your a power user and will be using the PB mainly at a desk, then get the 5400... but if you plan on using the battery a lot, and going mobile a lot, then get the slower drive and longer battery life.
  3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    I love the 5400 RPM drive on my PowerBook and I really don't notice any significant drain on the battery with what I usually do with it.
  4. 512ke macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2003
    Think about returns

I apologize that this slightly off your topic, but if you get the faster drive from Apple I believe that your Powerbook will be considered "built to order". It's my understanding that this will make your Powerbook harder to return. Maybe it's worth getting the slower drive in order to keep a return (albeit with a 10% restocking fee) possible, just IN CASE you get one of those rare Powerbooks with problems... Just a thought...
  5. Viv macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2003
    Normandy, France
    Drive performance is all ways a problem on laptops.

I got the faster drive on my 15Al and it rocks.

To get the slower drive after we all waited so long for the processor speed bump would be like buying a fast car and then disconnecting a few of the spark plugs (';)')
  6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Have you checked this thread

This topic has already been coverd to some extent in '80gb 4200 vs 80gb 5400??? '

so you might want to have a look on that thread;)