The New BMW 6 Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by sethypoo, Feb 21, 2004.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

This is, by far, one of the sexiest, smoothest, and sophisticated cars I have ever seen. Someday, I will own one. Someday.

Until then, does anyone know when it might be released? I've searched the BMW USA site, and I can't find a release date for this car. Anyone know?

Here's a link to the site: The New 6.

So, is this a car's car or what?

Attached Files:

2. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Another pic:

Attached Files:

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Absolutely gorgeous car! I love it! Haven't heard when its going to be available though.

My mom has a 3-series, and she's looking at "upgrading" to a 5-series. BMW's are beautiful cars.

EDIT: According to a BMW press release, the new 6-series will go on sale March 26, with a starting price of just over $69,000.

4. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

BMW's are beautiful.

I just found that press release, too. $69,000!?! I had better start saving.

Is your mom getting one of the 2004 5 Series's sedan's? I had a good, in-person look at one of those. They are very nice.

5. job macrumors 68040

job

I don't really like the trunk cover. IMO the front looks like a stylized Pontiac, but remember, it's just IMO. ;)

Overall though it's a nice car, although I'd rather go for the Mercedes CLK500 (around $50,000) or the CLK55 AMG (a bit more at $70,000.)

I can't wait to see the new 1-Series from BMW though. That line looks like it has a great price/performance ratio. Of course the new Mercedes C55 AMG, with a 390+HP V-8 also looks quite nice. :p

6. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

You have a point with the Pontiac thing. However, Pontiacs look more "plastic-y". If you think that the front of the 6 looks like a Pontiac, then do all other BMW's look like Pontiacs too? Food for thought.

Do you have any links to any pics of the 1 Series?

7. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

I just Googled the 1 Series. Silly me.

Wow, around $23,000 dollars? For a BMW?!? Cool!

Still want my 6 though.

Here's picture of the 1 Series:

Attached Files:

• p3l.jpg
      p3l.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
  8. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

More 1 Series:

Attached Files:

9. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Another 1 Series:

Attached Files:

10. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

That's the one she would like to have. She says that it's out of the price range, but I imagine she'll end up getting it. She had her 3-series for over a year before she let me drive it. Can you believe she didn't trust her own son! ;) :D

The 1-series looks nice as well. It's good to see that BMW is going to have a vehicle in the lower price market.

God I love BMW's!

11. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

is that 1 series BMW's own competitor to the Mini Cooper S? Looks like they're about the same size.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I hope the 1 series doesn't look as much like a hightop sneaker on 4 wheels like the Z3 hardtop coupe looks.

13. AhmedFaisal Guest

Ugh, as ugly as everything else that idiot Bangle designed

What happened to BMW? They used to be the ones that defined the style of the decade, now they are copycats of US car makers like Pontiac, Dodge etc.. What happened to clear lines and rugged teutonic understatement? Sorry to say but these new cars they made are FUGLY as hell! BMW used to stand for Bayrische Motorenwerke now it stands for Bangle muss weg! My entire family switched to Mercedes.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

14. Judo macrumors regular

I thought it stood for Bavarian Motor Werks.

My dad use to have one of the old 6 series. Nice car.

15. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

u guys have to check out bugatti veyron..they are realeasing a limited edition soon. fastest car ever.full stop. check this
    cheers

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think you might want to clarify that as "Fastest (U.S.) street legal production car", and that title currently belongs to the McLaren F1. I wonder what Gordon Murray will do for a possible next road car... :cool:

17. iGav macrumors G3

the Bugatti Veyron has supposed to have been released for a while now... it's becoming abit of a standing joke in the Motoring press, but I guess that's what happens when you do your talking first before actually building the thing :rolleyes:

The last thing I read was that they were considering releasing 2 versions, one detuned (225MPH) and the 250MPH version. It was still suffering from severe high speed instability above 200MPH, it was still too heavy and you can't actually do over 200MPH without calling Bugatti first and getting them to send out a man to temporarily remove a limiter and give you a set of special tyres which can actually handle the 250MPH top speed... :rolleyes:

As for the fastest 'production' road car... well it's very difficult to quantify 'fastest' really isn't it...?

The McLaren F1 may have the highest top speed... but it ain't no where near the most accelerative, that's the Ford RS 200 Evolution ;) it ain't the fastest a round the 'Ring' that's the Radical SR3 ;) and on a wet B Road it's the current Porsche 911 Turbo that rules when it comes to sheer A to B performance.... and both the Enzo and Carrera GT will pummel it into the ground either around a race track and on the average road...

Fastest is a relative term...

18. Interiority macrumors member

Re: Ugh, as ugly as everything else that idiot Bangle designed

I admit I had my reservations about Chris Bangle's designs when I first saw the new seven series, but after a bit of time and having seen the new five / six cars - everything is starting to make sense. I would have a 6 series tomorrow if I could afford one, and wouldn't be surprised if in a few years we were talking about Chris Bangle as the Jonathan Ive of the car industry...

19. job macrumors 68040

job

Slightly wrong... ;) :p

Chrysler, yes Chrysler, is releasing a $400k supercar that can beat the McLaren F1, the Porsche Carrera GT, even the new Mercedes/McLaren SLR.

The new Chrysler has a quad turbo V-12 (in part built by AMG.) The car is the first car ever to have an estimated 0-60mph time under 3 seconds at 2.9. The thing is sick.

:D

[I honestly think that the new Chrysler looks a bit like the Carrera GT, but that's just IMO.]

http://www.chrysler.com/autoshow/news/2004_01_05_chrysler_me_four_twelve_19536.html

20. job macrumors 68040

job

Possibly, although I think the 1-Series is going to be the luxury cousin to the Mini. There isn't any real point in having an in-house competitor, especially when BMW builds the new Mini anyways. I believe the hatchback is based on the Mini chasis, but they also have a 2+2 1-Series in the works.

21. cubist macrumors 68020

Re: Ugh, as ugly as everything else that idiot Bangle designed

I second those sentiments. The whole line seems to be switching to styling inspired by a mixture of the 1973 Cadillac Eldorado with the Auburn Boat-tail Speedster. Ghastly.

edit: Nothing like Jonathan Ive. Ive: clean, simple, elegant. BMW: busy, cluttered, splashy, clumsy.

22. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I think I know the one you mean and I believe it was called the M-coupe. (It was the "M" version of the Z3 but, like you said, with a hardtop. Almost looked like a 2-door wagon.)

Sethypoo, I can totally understand your infatuation with these cars. Very nice vehicle. As far as the controversial trunk styling is concerned, I think it's okay on the 5- and 6-series models. It's a bit much on the 7-series, though.

I can't believe nobody posted pics of the 6-series convertible. In my opinion, one of- if not the- nicest 4-passenger convertibles around.

Squire

Attached Files:

23. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

The corvette Lingenfelter does 0-60 in 1.97 sec, with a top speed of 240mph, all for the low low price of $165K. I know its not truly a production car, but neither is the chrysler ME four-twelve at this point. They're still trying to figure out whether it'd be feasible to make this thing.

24. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Here's another 6-series convertible pic and the press release from BMW's site:

http://www.bmwusa.com/joy/buzz/news.htm?article=38

I'm not sure when it goes on sale.

Squire

<Edit: According to one site, it "...goes on sale in the UK from March 2004 alongside the acclaimed Coup? variant." Cool.>

Attached Files:

25. job macrumors 68040

job

Re nicest 2-door/4-passenger cabrio: I still think the CLK looks better. :p ;) :D

Attached Files: