The New Creative Zen V- creative tries and tries again

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BrianSalts, Jun 20, 2006.

1. BrianSalts macrumors regular

More info: http://www.spheredesigns.net/blog/?p=216

Honestly, I don't know what to think of it. But being an ipod owner I know that I won't be switching any time soon.

Post your thoughts here- rants, confusion, hate, etc.

:D

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think it looks too bad, very iPodish though.

I won't be getting rid of my iPod for it anytime soon though

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Creative is not so creative anymore... they seem to keep missing the beat... a year ago it would have been cool noe it joins the herd of other similar products.

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I hope it does well. The iPod needs competition. One of these days some other company will get it right and it will be good for Apple and the iPod.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

5 way joystick eh? Now where have I seen that before?

Oh yeah, the Rio Carbon....

Two words - Pug Fugly.

6. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

That looks so unbalanced with the coloured split going to one side. Does it lead to other controls on the side? If not I think it should have gone straight up towards the display, visually connecting it with the controls.

It´s funny how looks can deter one from investigating a product further.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So this thing is competing with the nano right?

OK:

It's bigger and heavier.
    The screen is a lower resolution but can be rotated (ummm, why??)
    No iTunes.

Bleeerrrgghhh....

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's really incredible... Creative releases new products constantly, and pretty much everyone is improvement over the previous... And they still can't catch up.

9. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Meanwhile that droplet background they're using is the same one that came standard on my Motorola L6 phone, just a different colour.

Looks crap, doesn't work with my Mac. I don't like it.

EDIT: I also see they've done away with their "removable battery is better" mantra. That sucker's embedded and gives a 15 hour playback. I don't really agree with the whole idea of having a removable battery but I really disagree when a company changes it's whole attitude to try and deliver something akin to the rival product and STILL fails.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

an ex girlfriend was banging on about how great her Creative MP3 player is. I laugh.

13. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i actually do but i don't like the font and the menu above with like the battery meter and stuff is ugly.

14. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

That's quite similar to the Mac Mini and integrated graphics, though.
    You could argue that improvements justify the different stances but then that would have taken place on both sides.
    Also, I've read several accounts of the battery life reaching 20 hours but they might all be from the CNet review which stated it originally.

I'm actually quite tempted by this player. It's supposedly cheaper than the Nano and offers video capability (albeit on a 128*128 screen). I'm mainly interested in finding out the battery life with video and what it's like on such a low resolution. I'm sure one advantage would be lower filesize.

EDIT: Sorry if this was considered a large bump; I used the search feature and assumed this thread would have been active more recently.

15. iShane macrumors 6502a

I personally think that is ugly.

I love how theres only two buttons on the same side.

16. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

It's aiming to be a PMP where you only use one hand to operate it.
    The joystick would get in the way of opposite buttons and they may be awkward to reach anyway.

It's a pity though that it lost some of the buttons from the Vision:M although I've heard that holding Back operates as the Contextual Menu key.

17. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I'm kinda bored of ipods. I've pretty much had every model produced (except 1 and 2g) and they've just gotten old to me. Maybe I'll pick one of these up so I can realize how little credit I do give the ipod. :p

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Awful, horrible design if you're left-handed. Yes you can rotate the screen (why???) but the controls are in such a position that no matter where the screen is, if you're left-handed you can't access the controls properly at all.

That's the genius of the click-wheel, you can use one hand to operate it right or left and the screen is never obscured. Symmetrical design - it's brilliant.

19. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

If they screwed over people who don't use Windows, are you surprised they haven't shown much thought for left-handed people?
    They seem content with just attempting to please the majority.

I do believe though, that if you rotate it so that the controls are to the left of the screen, it could be operated with only the left hand.

20. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

There are mp3 players that aren't made by Apple?? Well you learn something new every day!!