The new design is not easier and more intuitive. In fact simplicity = confusion now.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Bobby Corwen, Jun 12, 2013.

1. macrumors 68030

Jul 16, 2010
    This is probably the first case of simplicity =/= ease of use.

Along with all the details that people pointed out, especially the icons, I also think a lot of the problem is the fact that the less lines and buttons you have on screen (they are merely words now that you click) it gives you less context for where you are.

I dont mean on what page, but whats on the page itself.

There are no lines or organization, just blank white empty space with words strung about.

iOS was famously known for having the dynamic that any old person can just pick it up and intuitively use it. I believe that has been reduced now.

There is also lack of uniformity in general.

Every window area in every app seems different. Safari is grey, texts are white on white. The PHONE APP when in a call is the most beautiful moment. But everything is incongruent. The safari tabs are front to back but the app tabs are side to side... Now I cant see the content on safari, but I can on app manager. The opacity on the task manager is different than the opacity in the other apps. Or why is siri and the slide up task manager page so different in feel? They are both just a menu that comes on top of the main screen. Why are they worlds apart in style?

Its like, give everything the same background or none at all but do it all so it matches!

Even aesthetically, some of the words arent even "centered" just strewn about in places like "back" is there buts its just a word. And its a different color and different font than the word next to it. And the rest is all

Worst of all it "feels" stylistically like android. Everything thats bad about it, I guess Jony Ive (rip my unequivocal respect, I guess Jobs was a lot more a sobering factor than I thought) liked that look?

Its a perfect example of the principle of simplicity not working out.

The OS LOST character instead of gained it.

Overall everything is the same too on a core level. Just has been updated with a bad nightmare of a design.

Wow now instead of double tap and go left you swipe up to get your player. Now instead of multitasking being buttons to delete you swipe up.

That is the main fundamental change of the OS??

And some cheap animations?

Everything should look like when its in a call. That elegance is good. But the rest is too white on white. Too plain. Too scattered.

I know how to use the phone well from before but even I feel like I am looking around for the right button sometimes.

I am confused and I have the OS memorized, I take a bet that the new user friendliness is much less friendly if even I feel confused using it.

Its like everything is a dull sketch of what it should be.
  2. macrumors 68040

Dec 16, 2011
    i just gave my iPhone 5 to my mom who is basically the benchmark for technical ignorance and she was able to use it just fine, and she has used old iOS devices before.

I'm pretty sure iOS is fine.
  3. macrumors member

Jun 21, 2010
    Agree 100%

I will pass final judgement once I see GM.
  4. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Change is hard when you were used to the way things were, but you'll gte used to this as well.

Look, The iPhone was the way it was because no one was used to it. Now we all know how to operate a touch interface so things can evolve.

Wow now instead of double tap and go left you swipe up to get your player.
    Which is now easier with one hand. You would have hated moving from the old iPod controls to the Multitasking bar (iOS3 > iOS4).

Now instead of multitasking being buttons to delete you swipe up.
    Again, easier with one hand because the actions are further up on the screen. Its also quicker because they elimiated a step.

I've had these things on jailbroken phones and had no problem getting used to them.

Some people are just more stuck in their ways.
  5. macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2009
    I don't understand what the complaint is all about frankly.
  6. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Because people love whining about things; makes them feel like experts on the matter.
  7. macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2008
    Glasgow, UK
    Human beings are creatures of habit. They don't like being out of their comfort zone...
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2011
    The changes serve as a move away from skuemorphism to a more Android look and feel. There is no utility in ios7's changes other than the control panel. Other than that, lifeless cosmetic changes.

Sorry, it's weak. The majority has spoken.
  9. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Citation needed.
  10. thread starter macrumors 68030

Jul 16, 2010
    Id like to hear what Scott Forstalls seemingly controversial stances and arguments before he was outsted were all of a sudden.

Im curious what his angle was and why he believed what he believed in.

Maybe he wasnt as wrong as he was made out to seem. Maybe he had vision for something that people didnt understand.

Maybe he was against Android style flatness and wanted to keep some character around.

I can imagine Jony's vision, in concept, in theory, working some how in some alternate realization of the design principles.

But not like this. And not like Android.

Ive spent countless essays criticizing those very things about Android, and now, as if by some cruel twist of fate, here it shows up in my hand.

The dreaded flatness.
  11. macrumors 68010

Jul 23, 2011
    I agree. The floating text and wireframe buttons give much less hierarchy and lose definition. It's cognitively harder to make sense of three words in a nav bar than a title and two flanking buttons.
  12. macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    The majority of what?:confused:
  13. thread starter macrumors 68030

Jul 16, 2010
    Extremely well put.

Hierarchy is a great word to describe what makes it confusing on a purely ocular level of initial analysis.

Also, did I suddenly switch to T-Mobile in some apps?

Why are are some of them pink (cal), some mustard (notes), and some with nothing (reminders).

Some still have the + sign for new items (reminders), Some have the word "New" (notes), and some have the square with pen icon (messages).
  14. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    That difference in the new action is on my iOS6 phone.

It's a beta.
  15. macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    I agree with this point in the inconsistency. Let's hope it's all fixed before final release.
  16. macrumors 65816

doug in albq

Oct 12, 2007
    I do not believe you, especially based on all your staunchly-pro-everything iOS7/Mavericks that you have been posting over the last few days.

The OP is one of the best post I have read about the mess that is iOS7.
  17. macrumors 68040

Dec 16, 2011
    Because I like it?

If you choose to not believe me based on the fact that I like iOS 7 and Mavericks that's your choice. I'm not going to tell you to believe me.

Just know not every single person in the world is anti-iOS 7 and that a lot of people actually are fans of iOS 7.
  18. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Based on your staunch anti-iOS7 post history I believe you are a shill who astroturfs for Samsung.

See how silly that sounds.
  19. macrumors 65816

doug in albq

Oct 12, 2007
    You apparently have not read all my posts on MR. I have read many of your recent posting, post WWDC, and you do sound like you are about 13-14 years I close?

On topic: iOS 7 is currently a mess. It will get better, I hope it gets much better.
  20. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    As close as I was about you.
  21. macrumors 65816

Apr 11, 2007
    I don't agree with the OP across the board, but I have to say I notice this with Safari now. With pages with an all-white background, it's now confusing where the page starts and the interface starts, and when it comes back in, it takes my eyes a few seconds to "find it" every time again.

I would totally vote for something like a flat, dark gray bar or something rather than white in this case.

I actually love iOS 7 for the most part, but he's right in some of what he says here.

Also, saying things like "I gave it to my mom and she figured it out, so it's fine." is missing the point.

I could give my mom a hardcover book and tell her to hammer a nail into a wall and she would figure it out, but that doesn't mean its the best way to do it. UI and UX is all about small details, how your eyes flow across a page, things that distract you for even a millisecond that can be improved, etc.

I think all of this will get better, but some of it is definitely not an improvement right now.
  22. macrumors 601

Jul 24, 2008
    Pacific Northwest, US
    OP I agree with most all of what you said. This feels more like change for the sake of change. I did just figure out how to forward a text message so the quest for knowledge continues.

I think people underestimate how valuable things like disabled controls and colors go towards guiding users to accomplish a task. Or at least something, anything. Now it's a game of hide and seek where I'm staring at a screen where I know I can do something but I don't know how and there is no visible control. So try the same things over and over... Swipe, tap, double-tap, etc., and hopefully stumble onto something.

I'll use deleting or forwarding a text message in iOS 7 an example of design gone wrong or in this case "regressing usability".
  23. macrumors 65816

Apr 11, 2007
    Also, as much as I love that the Safari interface gets out of the way now, it took me quite a while to figure out how to get it back, or to go back and forward.

It's great that you can swipe from the edge for Back and Forward now, too, but most cases get in the way of that, and there's no way to just intuitively know you can do that, which is the problem with most gestures.
  24. macrumors G3

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    what's interesting is that in a way they have introduced a huge skeuomorph across the whole phone.

Pre computers our dominant source of knowledge was books and magazines, which we interacted with via flipping back and forth between pages. Which is not unlike what all this swipe from the left, from the right is.

And yet because there are no page curls etc we don't see it like that.
  25. macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2008