Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
Everyone seems to be trashing PDA's...rightly so in many cases. I have no desire to own any of the current configurations.

However, I have a great desire and needs that could be fullfilled by an updated Newton. Would the posters here call the Newton a PDA??? or at what point does a PDA stop being a PDA. What needs to be in it to no longer call it a PDA?

My needs

I need to connect to a Lan wirelessly as I move around at work.

I have to enter Data via the web multiple times a day from multpiple locations. Currently I have to find a Desktop to do this.

I always need to be connected to email.

I need to access simple files like text all the way to video for presentations. Some locations do not have ethernet in them so I have to load into a laptop or a computer on a cart then transport all that to the presentation.

I also have to take data home. Sometimes I use ZIP disks, sometimes iTools, sometimes I email it to myself, sometimes FTP, sometimes I rip out a HD from one of the G4's and take it home (large videos)

A wireless tablet (G3 min) full osX with a iPod tucked in the back as the primary HD would be my answer....

now to all of you out there. Is this a PDA?

It is personal
It does contain data
It does assist (I doubt I could edit in FCP to any extent on this but it should be able ot play Quicktime)

At what point do you not call it a PDA. What size of screen does one need to have to NOT call it a PDA??
Newton size?
Viao laptop??

I think many of you are becoming to rigid in this

BAN ALL PDA talk to really participate in a discussion on what other alternatives are possible.

Hell even the iPod can now store names and adresses.... is that now a PDA?????

Should we stop talking about it???

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
The described product would NOT be a PDA.

A PDA is built along "elecronic daytimer" lines. What you, I, and many others have described is a "notepad" computer. A real, dyed in the wool Mac, but without the keyboard or extranious ports and peripherals.

Key difference: A real processor, HD, RAM and TFT.

C

Cheezy

Re: so the question still remains

Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
ok ok, glad to see you guys backing of the pda thing but the question remains. many of you have placed "new digital device" in your line up for the coming year. if its not a pda... what is it?

... A PDA! Now, the MP3 Players market sucks. Apple comes with a better MP3 Player... Boom! So now y'all say the PDA market sucks too. What if Apple came out with a better PDA? It would rock!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
WHAPSMACKWHAPSMACKWHAPSMACK!

Snap out of it Beavis.

Yo Cheesy, you wouldn't happen to be a "poof" would you?:D
Couldn't resist.

Lookout man it's Cartman and he looks hungry!!

lma

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2002
peoria, il
the new machine will be a cell phone like device that can access through local phone lines to the internet and sync with documents on your home computer.
you will be able to alter and access your home computer from a cell phone.
this will be like everyone having a personal iMac which acts like a server

you can show your friends photos on your device from your archives

you can access documents like filed tax returns when you are ppling for a loan

you can update your iPod

you can run your heater, lights, etc from the road

you can access security cameras from your phone

imagine the possibilities

Pablomac

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2001
PDA

If you had the chance to use a Newton, you already know the difference between a PDA and a real let's say "mini-computer".
The Newton was not a PDA was far better than that.
I think Apple has a good opportunity to enter in the PDA market since all the models right now just.. suck. It will be easy for them to make an excellent machine that should be:

Wireless
Palm compatible to some extent
itunes
Appleworks lite
Color TFT screen but with the size of the ebookman (http://www. franklin.com)
10 GB hard disk
Mac-Windows Compatible
Newton's handwriting recognition.

For less that $450 they would sell thousands of them.

This machine would not be a PDA but it will create a category itself, not as big as a tablet or a Newton and not as small as a Sony Clie or ipaq

Pablomac

Ryu-chan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
Palms suck!

A lot of you Palm owners are going to be in outrage at this comment, but seriously... what in the hell do you use one for that you couldn't do with a $20 Filofax anyway... (not that proper Filofaxes can be bought for $20 but...)
They run on batteries, are vulnerable to moisture and dropping on concrete... and hey, if I want to find someone's contact number it takes 10 times as long with a PDA than a paper organizer.
People said that the electronic age would cut paper consumption to a tenth, but hang on... it's now doubled!? People will always be compelled to write things down on paper, and when you don't... your PDAs memory goes haywire and you've lost your whole life - you suck!!
They are just an expensive, meaningless toy that tries to show the world that you are an up-with-it techie yuppie... who cares??
A leather-bound filofax is 10 times as functional in everyday life, and not to mention is more stylish... I mean, how many of you geeks out there wear digital watches anyway... (or is that a bit of a sensitive topic?)

Just as the digital watch is for pathetic geeks, so too is the Personal Digital Assistant...
For crying out loud, just admit that there are some things in life humans were supposed to do in analog... (you guys spend way too much time with your Virtual Sex with Jenna CDs...)

...get a filofax, and get a life!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Hostile, but Bravo.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no imagination left to most post-ers. *sigh* Apparently the best they can come up with is "PDA", because it's familiar. The words "Digital Device" apparently only apply to existing memes and no innovation is possible. I think I'll go whack some post-modernists, they've made western culture intellectually lazy.

Natural Law: The only constant is change. Innovation through evolution is the destiny of all natural systems. Because Humans are a natural phenomenon (we're not a Genetically Designed Organism), there is no part of our behavior that can escape this rule. Therefore POSTMODERNISM IS CRAP. New things will always happen. PDA's are large, slow moving herbivores in a time when small, quick carnivores are becoming very common. :mad:

Find another horse to bet on.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
ugh

I'm so sick of the PDA issue....

I agree with u mischief....they are slow...and eventually are going to become obsolete when something new comes along...

and all of these poor codependent souls who keep whining for a PDA are not going to know what to do....

Please tell me why it is that this continues to go on?

When will the madness finally end?!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
When all the Spamalopes have been eaten.

Only when a real replacement for the pocket organizer (filofax/daytimer/rolodex calendar, etc.) userps it. Honestly all the functions of a PDA and a Cellphone could easily be absorbed into a "notepad" computer for about $1200.00 and still get you most of the functionality of a "Real" machine. The critical difference is the Wireless Remote desktop idea.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Did you know

The some of the most powerful PDAs on the market use a skimpy 33Mhz processor, have usually VERY limited RAM (32-64MB) and Flash media for storage. Quite frankly, all you are getting is a 1993 PC or Mac with the only real performance difference being better written software. Now what is the point in that if you can have an iBook that does 1000x more for little more hassle?

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
I don't own a PDA and I don't want one (although if Apple made a cool one I'd probably break down and buy it...)

But, if we're thinking about breakthrough digital devices and talking about PDAs, I don't think Apple would release one until those fancy bendable plastic screens become available. I think something the size of a paperback book would work, if it folded out and had a huge screen.

Other than that, I think they want us to buy the iBook and pretend that the Newton never existed.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I can respect your defense Eyelikeart

But, I personally think that it is pretty easy just to lug one of those iBooks around without a hassle. It is smart to keep a bookbag with you at all times, anyway. You never know when it may come in handy.

I must admit that pocket-sized computers are a fairly compelling idea, but I would not get one. I refuse to even get a pager or cell phone because I don't like the idea of being accessable almost anywhere in the world and I don't want the temptation to use it when I don't need to. So you can see that I do have a mild biased against anything that keeps you half-wired. An iBook would be fine because it isn't just for a few functions that one could do without, it is for anything you want to do with it.

(sorry if this made NO sense, but when you only have dollars, what can you do?)

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
HD Cams?

Back on the Hard Drive video cameras, do you think Apple would actually build one after promoting so many other cameras on their website for that long?

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
They still advertise MP3 players from other companies so I wouldn't put it past them. My only concern about a video camera is what market could they actually capture? The low end could be done better, but I don' t know if Apple would make a low end product. If they did, I'm afraid that most likely it would be too expensive for most and not featured enough for the rest.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
A notebook computer wil not cut it for many people. have you ever tried to type while standing (without a table infront of you)??, just try ot take a quick note on a bus when you do not have a seat. Can't be done with a keyboard.

As for the filo fax...if it works for you great...but my notes have to link with many others instantly. Right now I record them on paper until I can get to a desktop to enter the data. To me this is double working. If I had a "newton"-like device that was connected wireless to my LAN then I wouldn't have to do things twice. Plus I have to wait for the log on and log off times every time I go to a new terminal.

As for the really short sighted comment about what would happen to ones life if their PDA broke... What do you think?? Apple wouldn't make a system to sink up to your computer like the iPod. All PDAs sync. you do not loose your life. Maybe that days notes.

No I do not own a PDA but I also won't trash a person who does. If it makes their life more enjoyable and more productive then all the power to them. If paper is your way...great. No complaints here.

Stop trashing people because they dream of better lives.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Buggy
A notebook computer wil not cut it for many people. have you ever tried to type while standing (without a table infront of you)??, just try ot take a quick note on a bus when you do not have a seat. Can't be done with a keyboard.

As for the filo fax...if it works for you great...but my notes have to link with many others instantly. Right now I record them on paper until I can get to a desktop to enter the data. To me this is double working. If I had a "newton"-like device that was connected wireless to my LAN then I wouldn't have to do things twice. Plus I have to wait for the log on and log off times every time I go to a new terminal.

As for the really short sighted comment about what would happen to ones life if their PDA broke... What do you think?? Apple wouldn't make a system to sink up to your computer like the iPod. All PDAs sync. you do not loose your life. Maybe that days notes.

No I do not own a PDA but I also won't trash a person who does. If it makes their life more enjoyable and more productive then all the power to them. If paper is your way...great. No complaints here.

Stop trashing people because they dream of better lives.

ahmen buggy. i think a lot of people here have been in a bad mood ever since mwsf. we come here to chat about new tech and the possibilities, if you dont want to hear what people think... dont read posts here.

but actually i did start this thread in order to hear people's considerations of new digital devices other than pdas. so far the only thoughts have been the iFrame and iDVCam. i have read threads elsewhere where people have been speculating about a hub device that connects to yoru ipod, computer, stereo, and tv. some people claim to have seen such devices... most people think this is just bs and question the purpose of such a device. personally i think the people creating these hub rumors are taking steve's "digital hub" talk a little too literally.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
Ahem.. Ambitiouslemon.

Please re-read all of the post and then look to see who is being negative (I am not necessarily implying you).

Don't try and make up some inuendo that I don't like to hear others ideas. I do like to hear ideas, that is what I was hoping this post would be about.

Read my posts again. You will see that my posts have clear statements about my needs for a digital device and clear staements about what kind of device I would like to see.

I have not insulted anyone who likes SUV's, Cellphones, PDA's, Notepaper, daytimers, or even called for some ipoop gun to shoot down any opinion I do not agree with. You are aiming your frustrations at the wrong person.

If I am wrong on this, please correct me. I think my earlier posts stand for my support of open disscussions of ideas without biased slamming of people based on their personal choices.

I will state it again because you OBVIOUSLY missed it in the last post. I will reword it alittle incase you miss understood.

"stop trashing people because they dream of better lives"

re-word.
Please do not make personal attacks on people because they are posting their ideas of what would be a good digital device to benifit their lives.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
buggy sorry for the confusion bro. actually that was a amen (sp?) (not an ahem). ok im not religious so thats not a word i use often so maybe my spelling is off. i'll have to stick to the "hell yeah"s i guess. i was agreeing with you and congratualting you on a good post when others were just being negative.

ok nuf of that. there is another thread here discussing changed to the ipod. im beginning to think that the ipod will be the only consumer electronics device that apple will release. especially if apple can put larger hard drives in it without increasing costs. with a larger hard drive users could use it as a data shuttle for movies and photos as well as music. this would take care of all the iSoftware currently out, and since most of our speculations have been trying to link an iBrand to an iDevice this would take care of em all. if the ipod had a tv out, then people could carry the ipod around and show off their iphotos and imovies wherever they go. through in the much rumored remote control and audio in and you have a "does it all" data shuttle.

cplmd

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2001
Louisiana
Follow up to earlier post

Well now that that's settled :D

I have imagined an iFrame type device myself.

Imagine the frame is photovoltaic cells so you don't need a power cord, just hang the picture on the wall and the light on the frame recharges the battery. So, one wire down...

Next have a wireless network antenna to get the pictures from a server, WiFi is one way but bluetooth would be better because:

1. Chipsets cost less.
2. Power use is less.

True, the data rate is less with Bluetooth (thus the ignorance to suggest using it as a way to transfer LARGE files in REAL time) but makes it perfect to download another picture into the iFrame buffer while another is displayed.

I am afraid the DV cam and digital still cam market are pretty saturated and work fairly well. The iPod only had one or two models offering micro-Hard Drives to compete against. An iCam or iDV would face an up-hill battle and would not REQUIRE a Mac (or computer, for that matter) to use.

An iFrame would need a computer because you would put the user interface on the computer and have the frames show up as a storage node on your network browser or chooser. Download the pics and arrange the order and time delay between changes if there are more than one picture and let the display start.

As to the PDA flame war, I think you need to think more of a client/server model. The actual information lives on a server/desktop somewhere. (Where doesn't really matter) By having it networked into a LAN then Internet you can access it from any device, be it desktop, laptop or ??????. I fully agree with AmbitiousLemon that the current desktop or laptop (beautiful though the new iMac is :) ) leaves alot of my time open for another device to access this bucket of information on a server. It's just a matter of will Palm build a device to do it or will Apple. I know, I know, Apple won't but nothing is ever written in stone and I hope USERS have some input into what gets done. Afterall, WE spend the money that keeps the company going.

But other than the iFrame, I cannot think of another device to sell more desktop and laptop Macs to be a 'hub' for.

Now if Apple wanted to do a cell phone right ..... ;)

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: Follow up to earlier post

nice post cplmd. i have to admit i didnt like the iFrame idea at first but imagining it as you described makes me think "maybe." the problem with such a device i would think would be price. i couldnt imagine it doing well unless it were under ~$80. im not sure such a device could be built at such a low cost, and i cant imagine a $100+ frame selling well. so for those of you who know about such things could apple build an iFrame as described by cplmd and price it right?

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
AmbitiousLemon.
Sorry I didn't notice the typo. Honest error. I make typos all too often myself. I must be one of those a bit tense after MWSF.

Great Topic idea you started.

I too have thought that the iPod 'may' be the only device that they introduce. But I do know that Jobs said they had many project ideas when they started with the iPod design. They went with the iPod first because it would be quickest to bring to market.

Going under the hypothesis that the iPod is the only device. This does not mean it has to be relegated to being just a mp3 player.

I had a "dream" before the new iMac came out that the new iMac would have no internal HD but would have a dock into which an iPod could hook into. (I realise there are many problems with this small HD space and can't really unplug and go without a shutdown...but hey I am dreaming here). With your HD in an iPod then the iPod becomes a DATA wallet. The screen gets an update to allow you access to certain file types. Text, quicktime, jpgs, so that you can view them without a desktop. Also when you get to the next terminal (imagined iMac) just plug in the iPod and it is like you are working at your last terminal. Allof your settings, programs, and data are with you.

Maybe something could be built into the OS to recognized Video files like it recognized MP3's (iTunes), so that you can hook it to a TV or VCR to play movie files. THe audio jack it Left and ricght Audio and they add a video out to the same jack something like the camcorders do.

Plug it into a car stereo and play your tunes their.

Plug it into your web enabled phone/pda and you can send attachments??

Hook two iPods together through the firewire to transfer documents amongst people, contacts, etc.

Plug it dirrectly into a printer to print (need some kind of adapter beacuse most printers are USB)

Scan dirrectly into the pod.

etc.etc.

To make a tablet, just need a touch sensitve screen (video card) with a possible airport.

Anyway enough posted for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.