The new iMac release was so good...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iGary, May 6, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

That we're not talking about it much only three days later. :eek:

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'll be excited when they update the iBook line and they start shipping with Tiger. that's what i'm waiting for :D

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it caught us all a bit off guard. What are we supposed to complain about exactly? The GPU's fine, the standard RAM's up, the hard drives are big enough! It's really not good enough. Apple must cripple them or I'll have to order one. Ohh, wait, I already did. :D

I can see why they released the PowerMacs before the iMacs!

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Exactly. Usually we are bitching about the video cards or the HDD size for at least a week.

This one was so perfect, there's little to bitch about. :D

Here's hoping for more updates like it. Hopefully the iPod success is helping the overal margins of the company, which is allowing Apple to put bigger and better things in their computers at less margin - mad up by the iPod.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The only talk has been on getting the damn things. They really did a good job of it this time - I just wish they had been available for the Tiger release party....

Now if we could be this happy about the PowerMacs....

D

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

True. Did you order one, D?

I'm getting the base configuration for my partner, which was the middle (what I have now) of the REV A lineup.

7. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Naturally there were some complaints over the video card at the end of the "New iMacs announced" thread. And the negative ratings actually rised quite a bit after a while. Personally I just hope my iMac status will change from "Sent to Manufacturing" to "Shipping" or whatever comes next today.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As mentioned by other posters, I think now we're waiting for iBook, PowerBook, and PowerMac updates (I don't count the recent PM updates - they're a ploy to get some people to buy while Apple preps the real PM upgrades due this summer... and I say that simply because my Rev A dual-2 is looking long in the tooth and I can't afford to get a new dual-2.7).

The iMac updates were so good (not a lot of change, but tweaks in all the right places) that we're simply living from Tuesday to Tuesday, waiting the next announcement. ;)

I was going to buy a PB Friday but now am glad I didn't - I don't truly need one just yet. I strongly suspect an HD-capable release is forthcoming. Of course, as a long-time Apple user, I'm certain I'll lose faith and buy a PB a day before the new ones are announced, whenever that day might be. I used up all my Apple luck by getting a good Rev A dual-2 as soon as they were shipping. That'll never happen again....

9. 36183 Guest

the is just a product refresh, apple have not really added any technology that was not available when the first imac g5 came out, the wow factor of this new imac is the price and the fact it leaves little to bitch about.

i think people are just waiting for their imacs to ship to their homes or just wondering why apple are not advertising this overkill machine.

10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I'd love to be able to talk about mine but the bleedin' delivery monkeys have still got it in their hub ... [still :mad:]

But ignoring that niggle, I agree that the upgrade was so surprisingly good it has taken people aback ... hence my purchase a mere hour after I heard about them. The PM lineups are getting their good jazz in the summer, I hope they will be equally rewarding.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm going to go buy one at the store, probably Monday. Its a good excuse to go to an Apple store, since they're both 2-3 hours away. Besides, then I don't have to keep checking my order status online and see where it is.

The unfortunate thing is that I'm not too excited about it - it will be great - but its not my machine. Its for my wife :D

Although, I'm going to be networking it and using it to help render my animations - which should make a significant difference in render times since its going to be about as fast as my dual 1.25 G4 is now.

D

12. NevadaJack macrumors 6502

Sunday I decided I did not need another computer after all the waiting and I ordered CS2 from Adobe for my PB. Tuesday when I saw the specs I went nuts and just had to have a 20" one and placed the order...damn Apple. Got to bitch about something :D

13. mauly macrumors 6502

Ordered the new iMac on May 4th, this is my very first apple computer! and wanted to know how long does it say (on average) "Sent to Manufacturing"?

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Congrats!

Here is the thread on that.

D

15. NevadaJack macrumors 6502

Based on my order...."too long!"
    :D

You can generally believe the Est. Ship Date...so maybe a day before that or so....nothing is written in stone though. :D

16. Zedaine macrumors newbie

Yes it is really good, but what about us who bought iMac G5's months ago? The iMacG5 didn't has never had an upgrade for graphics, now that this new one does, am I able to send in my Mac to apple (with some cash) and get the new GPU? Or perhaps... even install it myself?