The new iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by CJM, Sep 6, 2006.

1. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

In case you don't already know, (Highly unlikely :p), there's a new 24" iMac out.

The advantages of this one over the £400 less, 20" iMac model is the 4 inches of extra screen and the nVidia 7300GT card.

Is it worth it to go the extra 4 inches, purely for gaming purposes? Is the new card that much better?

I'd like to point out that on either model, I'd get the 256MB graphical RAM.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That card seems good enough to chug along and the extra screen space is a plus....always good to have extra space plus your getting HD...enjoy.

Bless

3. CJM thread starter macrumors 65816

CJM

Oh and, like the Mac Pro, do the new iMacs sport Multi-Threaded OpenGL?

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'm not sure the extra grunt is enough when you account for the higher resolution you will have to play at for a satisfactory look. Well just a thought really.

5. CJM thread starter macrumors 65816

CJM

Reading it more carefully... It seems that the upgraded card on the 24" is, in fact, a 7600GT 256, rather than the 7300GT 256 I previously thought it to be.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

7300 is a **** card. Worse than the X1600 in the 20"

7600 is relativly still a low end card - why they couldnt give us a 7900 considering the price increase for the bto is baffling....

7. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

The 7600 is a whole lot better than the x1600 and not a bad card, even if the BTO price is high.

Nonetheless, I would like a 7900 in the iMac. What are they doing with all that extra space...

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed, but in comparison to whats on the market they arr both still weedy - that's what i meant.

9. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

is there much of a difference in gaming on 128mb of vram versus 256 mb of vram? How much longer life would I get by upgrading the vram to 256mb.... this is gaming of course, because the technology is ever so changing???

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, the 7300GT usually matches or slightly outperforms the X1600.

The X1600 Pro would beat out the 7300GT, but the regular X1600 is on par and slightly weaker than the 7300GT.

11. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Praxis, you said as soon as the new imacs were coming out you were getting one...which one? That 24" looks heavenly!!1

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm getting one. any model barring the low end 17", with the bad graphics. I'm going to need an intel mac for DualBoot so I can get back to making some games, I mean £950 with an educational discount is a very nice price for the 20". very very nice. seeing I don't want to replace my PowerBook goes to show that I'm happy keeping a mac for years *unlike their PC brethren*.

I want. For game making.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm being tormented here. I planned for over two months to get an iMac when they got Core 2 Duo in September, but with my new school schedule, I'll be sitting 2.5-3 hours on the bus every day with an extra two hours sitting around at school between classes and several hours in class.

I changed my plans; I'm going to be getting a new MacBook on September 14th (after Apple's 12th conference, before the iPod deal ends on the 16th), instead of an iMac. :(

Then Apple goes and drops the iMac price, doubles the RAM, and puts in a Core 2 Duo. ARGH!

14. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

IT'S NOT FAIR! :'(. why couldn't they released it when i got my 20" one:mad:

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have been absolutely fine with 128MB on my 20" iMac Yonah, but does a bigger screen need more VRAM? Will I be sorry if I get the 24" with 128MB?

16. simon.hibbs macrumors newbie

Personaly I think the extra RAM will be handy if you're a gamer. Bar a few eddities, GPUs always benefit from more VRAM and it will certainly help with the higher resolution screen. Also the extra £80 also buys you an uprated GPU so for any gamer it's a no brainer.

Having said that, of course iMacs are never going to be the last word in gaming performance, they're designed to be fairly general purpose home/office desktops but frankly modern GPUs are excellent anyway and gaming just isn't my absolute top priority in evaluating a system.

As for why no 7900 option? It may well be heat dissipation. iMacs aren't optimised for air flow as well as a tower can be.

Simon Hibbs

17. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I have a macbook and they are very nice, but still you could have gotten a new imac........That sucks.
    Well enjoy the Macbook, you will be purchasing it on the same day as the wii conference!

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've come to a decision myself. The 20" model. It's just a bit of 1 student loan cheque which isn't that bad. I need something to push OSX round a little smoother than my PB, which is going to be relegated to a machine of mere iBook duties. plus with my 20" dell monitor, I'll get a nice even spanning desktop.

All I want to know is - how does HL2 run on the 20" iMac? It's the only PC game I play. oh go on then, how about Doom 3 as well?

19. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Nearly every graphics card in a mac is weedy. Give me a 7900GT!

20. MacBuff macrumors newbie

The X1900XT in the MacPro is a pretty nice card.

21. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Sorry I had to do it :p

22. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Damn straight!