The new iMacs will have RAM soldered on. You can count on that

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Puevlo, Jul 18, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

With certainty like that you should play the lottery.

3. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not likely

4. macrumors member

Unless they change the form factor and make it significantly thinner (which would be pretty difficult to do considering how tight everything is already) I don't see why they would solder the RAM on an iMac.

5. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Don't like this tone, what makes you the big expert?

6. macrumors 6502

We don't know if we will ever see a new iMac again, and you talk about the soldered RAM?

Just kidding :p — or maybe not? :(

7. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because he was granted the power of the "NEW THREAD" button! :p

8. macrumors regular

Redbeard25

The new iMacs will have power cords that are not removable.

9. macrumors 6502

I'm not laughing at your statement, more the fact that you think we should regard "your mind" as a legit source. ^^

10. macrumors 6502a

You may or may not know, but this guy is always starting threads and leaving comments like this. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

11. macrumors G3

Agreed. Also, if you think about it, the memory goes into the thinnest part of the iMac already. If they make that part any thinner, it will affect airflow and cooling.

12. macrumors G5

gnasher729

You make a totally wrong and totally unjustified assumption about Apple's motives. RAM is soldered on the Retina MBP because it always Apple to save space, which is at a premium in that device. No other reason.

You also get Apple's business strategy completely wrong. Trying to make more money from customers is a strategy that has backfired for many, many companies and Apple knows that. For the last twelve years or so Apple has maintained a consistent strategy where the most important thing is to create products that the customers want. Apple would have to be run by complete morons to think that a strategy that as you say makes their customers cry would make money in the long term, when the completely opposite strategy has turned them from not even profitable to the world's most profitable company in twelve years.

13. macrumors 604

The RAM on the MBA and rMBP is soldered on to save space. They don't need to save space that much on the iMac. I see no credible reason for Apple to go to soldered RAM on an iMac.

14. macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Apple know soldered RAM is no big deal. Away from this forum, what percentage of real world customers ever upgrade RAM during the lifetime of a Mac? I bet it's in the single figures.

15. macrumors 6502a

This response wins all the things.

16. macrumors member

Where's the down botton?

17. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I have to agree, probably extremely low.

Not to mention now the retina macs come with 8gb or 16gb. Both are more than enough for most people. I have always upgraded my ram in the past because I would purposely buy the lowest amount of ram, since computer companies overcharge for upgrades.

Apple is selling the upgrade to 16gb at a decent price if you ask me. (though I plan to go with 8 since it's more than enough)

18. macrumors regular

I can see them doing this to the ram but at the same time why would they want totake the only customizable with easy access on their mac? I don't think the will do that. If anything they should lower the priceson ram(kind of hard to believe that too lol) but who knows.

19. macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I have been thinking this is how the 2012 iMacs will go for a while, All solid state, potenially no CD/DVD drive, they could make the whole iMac thinner than the macbook air as the screen is embedded in the device rather than being "the lid", apple will introduce it as the iMac Air :D lol

20. macrumors member

So you think it's gonna become like a big iPad on a stand? Or a unibody retina MBP sans keyboard on a stand? I can kinda see that. The continued convergence of all Apple hardware and software. The post-PC era.

21. macrumors 6502a

Well, for one, Apple would reap the monetary benefits of all memory upgrades, many of which now go to third parties. If the average memory upgrade costs $100 and you charge $200 and you sell 5M iMacs, that's a cool $1B in added revenue at a 100% gross profit margin.

22. macrumors regular

And why don't they solder the 4GB on the current models? I'd be happy to see them solder 4 to 8GB and leave only two slots for upgrades.

23. macrumors 68000

alksion

If this was the case, which I certainly do not believe to be true, then I will most definitely be building a PC workstation.

24. macrumors 6502a

Razorhog

I call total BS on this thread.

25. macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Please imagine me pushing a downvote button ...