Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickBoy98

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
Sydney, Australia
There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.

No it won't the reason it was in the rMBP is because they needed it to be ULTRA-THIN, there is no reason for a desktop computer to be ULTRA-THIN because it is not portable!

----------

Apple know soldered RAM is no big deal. Away from this forum, what percentage of real world customers ever upgrade RAM during the lifetime of a Mac? I bet it's in the single figures.

Yea I know... a lot of people think about it but when push comes to shove they say **** it!

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
This is a big mistake for apple , I will not ever buy a new mac laptop again because they glue everything down now and make it so that you cannot make simple upgrades .
Um, only their extremely thin models lack upgradability. The standard size models still let you replace the HD/RAM/Optibay as before.

HenryJobs

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
The thing I don't understand is what Apple has to gain from soldering the iMacs RAM. They did it in the rMBP to conserve space, but that doesn't matter for the iMac and they know it would infuriate so many iMac buyers and create bad PR about epeat standards and so on.

Think about the big marketing deal they made about the rubber cap on the bottom of the Mac mini and how easy it was to upgrade RAM from there.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
The thing I don't understand is what Apple has to gain from soldering the iMacs RAM. They did it in the rMBP to conserve space, but that doesn't matter for the iMac and they know it would infuriate so many iMac buyers and create bad PR about epeat standards and so on.

Think about the big marketing deal they made about the rubber cap on the bottom of the Mac mini and how easy it was to upgrade RAM from there.

Very good point! They did market the crap out of that ease of ram upgradeability when the unibody mini came out in 2010.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.

You were saying?

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
gotta give it to em, he called it back in july when everyone thought he was nuts

----------

well hes half right at least lol

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
21.5 inch iMac RAM is not user replaceable. As close enough to soldered RAM as you will find. You were saying?

It uses standard 204-pin SODIMM modules, in both the 21" and 27" machine.

The absolute, totally 100%, diametrically opposed situation to "soldered onto the logic board". It's too late to change your argument to make yourself seem right. You can scrunch your face up as much as you like and wish really hard, but it won't make reality go away.

Is that egg on your face? The yolk's on you.

ericbreiter

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
21.5 inch iMac RAM is not user replaceable. As close enough to soldered RAM as you will find. You were saying?

Sorry kid, you're wrong. I wish you a Happy New Year and better luck with your predictions next year. As already pointed out, you can not score any points in here by changing your predictions retroactively. Half right does not make it right.

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Sorry kid, you're wrong. I wish you a Happy New Year and better luck with your predictions next year. As already pointed out, you can not score any points in here by changing your predictions retroactively. Half right does not make it right.

Agreed. It wasn't a correct prediction. Still, it was a worthy one - it just didn't come true.

No hard feelings Puevlo, I can see why you predicted it. Maybe on the next iteration/generation of iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.