The new iPod(s) sound quality thread

Discussion in 'iPod' started by chatoyer, Sep 5, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

As these become available and 'in hand', will be curious to see what people's experiences are with the sound quality:

1. User-configurable EQ? (If not, boo, but how the presets - any different?)

2. Quality of the supplied headphones? Other 'cans' used? Using an amp?

3. Comparisons with previous generations or other players?

All of this is subjective, of course, but discussion could still be illuminating.

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

ever try better headphones?

4. macrumors regular

Now that you've used your iPod Classic for some days, I would like to know how is the sound quality: I have read reports of a very worse sound quality because of the new Cirrus codec, and other reports claiming about an improved sound in the new models... what do you think?

5. macrumors regular

equalizer alters the sound, so don't say that it improves sound quality

6. macrumors 6502a

swwack91

i think the headphones are the biggest change in sound quality. after getting Bose earphones, my iPod sounded like it never did before.

if this debate's going to valid, the person testing will need to use the same headphones on both the 5G and 6G.

7. macrumors regular

My New 80 GB Classic sounds much more pleasurable than both my iPod U2 and Macbook C2D when driving my Sennheiser HD 595 headphones! Much more dynamic, enhanced resolution, and effortlessness!

8. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW a friend and I both got 3G nanos and we both agree that they sound much clearer than all of our previous iPods using the same 'phones and auto connection kits.

Now I actaully hear more 128kbps compression artifacts, but have no room to go tho a higher bitrate. :rolleyes:

B

9. macrumors 6502

I buy alot of my music on iTunes (a few songs from iTunes Plus), And I can not tell the diffrence between the two (I kept the original for a few songs). Maybe it is the fact that I have a moderate hearing loss (just consonants not vowels, I dont get it eater but I cope by reading lips and for my music playing my music loud, prob not the best idea I have had). But I think the sound quality on all my apple buds and iPods were fine but maybe that is just me.