the new ipod shuffle worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kimcheeboi65, Sep 12, 2006.

1. kimcheeboi65 macrumors member

kimcheeboi65

I just checked out the new ipod shuffle and I am contemplating whether or not I should purchase it.

I thought shuffle was useless before, but with such a smaller design and plus the new random transfer with itunes 7, I think it might actually be worth it. But I am still not too sure.

What do you guys think? and do you guys know if apple will release a bigger memory shuffle?

THanks in advance.

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Personally I've found the 'old' Shuffle (1Gb) is fine as a 'walking to work/home' MP3 player and particularly useful as a 'USB thumbdrive'. The new suffle looks great, but since it's no longer a thumbdrive, I don't think I'll bother.

3. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

The random transfer function isn't new.
    I doubt that a larger memory shuffle will be released.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i'd never opt for it, personally. ideally, i'd want an 80gb (i have a 30gb filled without any photos or videos!), and a nano for workout purposes.

but, i mean, for those that don't want/have many songs, and just want something tiny to carry around, it'd be perfect. i think the price is right (even better when refurbs start showing up).

BUT, just in case you hadn't noticed: it's not shipping until october.. so you have a few weeks to decide.

5. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Since it's not shipping until October, you might as well wait until then to see if anything comes up. But yeah, the new shuffle is a sweet piece of equipment.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i like it. i'm thinking of getting one to complement my 1st gen iPod nanos. it's just a neat little thing. i'm waiting for a while, though, to see if they release one with a larger capacity or if common sense finds me and i realize i don't really need it.

7. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

I like it - this is the first piece of Apple industrial design that I've been impressed with lately. Looks good, small, form is functional.

8. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I like it...as a matter of fact, I'm thinking of picking one up for the heck of it:rolleyes:

9. danny_w macrumors 601

I had considered many times getting the old shuffle, but think the new one is useless to me. Too small, too light, and no USB connector like on the old one. No thanks.

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

No USB connector? Well that just turned me off :(

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have an original 1GB Shuffle. Love it.

I have noticed over time that I do not use it as a Thumb Drive. Rather I use my Shuffle as a music player and tend to use a dedicated Thumb Drive for my day to day needs.

So the new Shuffle without USB doesn't seem that bad to me at this point in time. Besides, you can always get a dedicated Thumb Drive for a few bucks. Local stores have 4GB versions already for 80-90. And the prices keep coming down.

As for Apple offering a larger memory Shuffle. They just released this version so it will be 6 months to a year before you see this happen.

Personally, I think that the new Shuffle will make a nice x-mas gift.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

I may get one for working out, I gave my old Shuffle to my wife a while back.
    Working out with a big old 40GB is risky!

I'm waiting for a 100GB to come out be for upgrading my main iPod.

13. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I don't know why not having a USB is turning people off. Primary function of the shuffle is to hold and play music in a very portable form. It does this wonderfully.

And you can get a dedicated USB flash drive for under $20 easily. In the other thread, Multimedia said he got a 2GB jump drive from Fry's for I think $20. Both devices added together are still smaller and lighter than the old shuffle.

Then again, I don't know about your usage habits. I like using devices as "dedicated devices" and I'm very happy that the Shuffle has one function and it fulfills that function better than every before. I can care less if they removed one of the Shuffles prior secondary fuctions to improve its primary function.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that we'll quickly see a third party option that will have a USB to stereo connector in a small form factor. Considering that this adapter and the Shuffle itself would still occupy less space than the old Shuffle, it would make it easy to carry around.

One thing that I like about the first generation Shuffle is the dedicated USB connector. Played with many MP3 players that have a folding or pop out type USB connector. I do not like those solutions much. The first generation Shuffle did it right. I doubt that we will see such a solution (folding/pop out USB connector) in the second generation Shuffle.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

It's called convenience. With the old Shuffle I could just plug it into any USB port for music exchange or charging without any cables or dock. Now that kind of convenience is gone. I don't want another dock cluttering up my already messy desk, and I most certainly don't want to have to carry it with me wherever I go. The requirement for a dock just doesn't match the simplicity of the original Shuffle, which to me was its main selling point.

16. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I don't think they'll release a bigger shuffle since the nano is at 2GB.

I like the new design. It's sleek and looks very nice. The old one was just a cheap piece of plastic, in my opinion. Nothing I would've paid $80 for. The new one, I might consider. ("might" because I don't actually need one)

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

IMO the new shuffle is one of apple's best releases in recent memory. I'm very happy with my nano, but that shuffle is amazing. If you run or go to the gym, you can't beat that design or that price.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

For about $20 more you can get a refurb 2GB nano @ the Apple Store if you hurry. I think the new shuffle is pretty cool, but a $99 2GB nano is even cooler.

19. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I have a 1g shuffle and I love it. The new ones look even cooler. I like being able to reach into my pocket and skip songs without having to pull it out and look at it. The new ones would also be even better for working out because you wouldn't need a case. You could just clip it to your shorts, or anything else, and go. If I didn't already have a shuffle, I'd pick one of the new ones up.

20. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Yeah, I am seriously thinking about picking one up when they come out. The clip/shape/size are the big winners for me, as I love the idea of going out and shooting a basketball with this or whatever. Seems much more targeted at that kinda usage.

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

My Opinion, absolutely not
    This is the least function mp3 player in the market, while costs $80.

22. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I love the new form factor. I'll be picking one up for working out with. That and to use as techno-bling.
    [​IMG]

23. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I love my 1GB shuffle. It's perfect for listening to music in bed. I recently got a 60GB iPod, and find it difficult to use the touch wheel with my eyes closed, not to mention the blinding light of the screen.

I wish Apple would have bumped the original up to 2GB, and made this new, smaller one, a 1GB Nike branded player.

24. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Why would anyone want anything Nike branded - especially a music player? When one thinks of digital music players "iPod," not "Nike," comes to mind. Whatever. To each their own.

25. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

hear, hear...
    This "upgrade" of the Shuffle was more of an downgrade from my point of view. I use my Shuffle when I bicycle back and forth to work and to transfer files from work (MS workstation) to Home (Mac).