Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Yes, finally Apple has released the long-awaited video iPod. I know that many people here were waiting for this, yet it seems like a lot of people are dissatisfied :eek: :confused: . What were your expectations? Bigger screen? Touch navigation, etc?

As for my self, I couldn't be happier with how the video ipod turned out. Sure a sideways wide screen with touch screen controls would have been cool at first, but I really think I would get sick of it in the long term. The iPod is a successful player because it plays music well. I can more or less navigate my iPod without looking. My touch screen remote control for my TV, not so much. Its annoying! I would hate to have to look at my iPod all the time just to see where the next button is. I'm very glad its still a music player, and the new thinner design is pretty amazing. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I was worried about the cost, but at the same price is good.
Slightly dissapointed the screen wasn't horizontal, but i guess they have to keep a recognizable form factor.
A touch screen would be a crap idea, so screen would get all mucky.
Overal, I like it and will order online at the weekend.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Well said both of you. I agree on all points.

The price is great and the new thin form factor is a definite bonus. I think a lot of people anticipated a wide screen ipod, but I think the way they did it this time around really keeps the focus on the music. The video is a nice feature but the iPod is really just sexier and sexier by the revision. Thinner, bigger screen, sleeker form factor, and still simple.

I think the black 60 gig photo is the perfect iPod for me, too bad I already own a 4th gen ipod 40gig.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Where is my 80gb iPod? That's all I want right now from a new model plus an EQ that works -- couldn't care less about video at all...

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
I'm fine w/ it. Not blown away, but not dissatisfied. I asked about tihs on anohter thread, but nobody answered.

Is it just me or did they round out the back more? Video

IF they did, I'd be pissed. No specific reason- just I would be.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Same price = great
smaller size = great
TV output = great

battery life = not great (up to 2 hrs video :eek: )
iTunes video quality = not great (if I'm going to purchase a video I want it to look great on my ipod and computer.)
TV output = not great ( don't know how good video will look when displayed on a TV only time will tell.)

I'm not so sure I want one anymore. I'm gonna wait and see how this all plays out.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Where is my 80gb iPod? That's all I want right now from a new model plus an EQ that works -- couldn't care less about video at all...

I'm in the same boat as you. I was expecting a video iPod but I really wanted bigger capacity iPods with better battery life.

It's still a pretty cool update, good to see the sound quality is better, but i don't think i could buy one just yet. I'm sure we'll see the bump to 80GB eventually.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I realize a touchscreen is prone to gathering smudges and crap, but it is also more durable and those things wipe off much easier than on other screens.

Take a thought about the touchscreen home entertainment system controllers, those are awesome....so why not make this video iPod in the alternate format (instead of tall, make it wide) and have the screen be the entire front face (think pocket pc like screen filling up the entire front) and have it be touchscreen? You could still have the HD behind, hold slider and headphone jack on top or side, etc etc.

If they were to do what I mentioned above I think it would have to be a new product, not a revision to the iPod because that focus would shift from music to video, not bad but too different for a classic iPod.

Overall I think the revisions are fine, but nothing to get overly hard over. I would get one only if my current 30GB Photo dies off, but otherwise I doubt I would benefit from the added features (save for the case redesign and the black color option....those are awesome).

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm mad they got rid of the remote jack thingy, so now griffin has to make a new itrip, so i guess i'll have two ipods, then my 3g is going to be use a traveling external drive (anyone know the speed for the HD in the ipods) :cool:
I'm concered about the width of the new one, to me it looks very wide to the "old ipods". But overall i think its a nice update just don't know if the black will scratch easily like the nano and what size i want...

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
puckhead193 said:
I'm mad they got rid of the remote jack thingy, so now griffin has to make a new itrip, so i guess i'll have two ipods, then my 3g is going to be use a traveling external drive (anyone know the speed for the HD in the ipods) :cool:
I'm concered about the width of the new one, to me it looks very wide to the "old ipods". But overall i think its a nice update just don't know if the black will scratch easily like the nano and what size i want...

30GB iPod takes up about 45 percent less room than the original iPod. Even the new 60GB model is 10 percent thinner than the fourth-generation 20GB iPod.

They're smaller than the original 4gs.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
puckhead193 said:

Someone said that the overall dimensions, save for thickness, are all the same. The increase in width is due to an optical illusion of having a larger screen.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
efoto said:
Take a thought about the touchscreen home entertainment system controllers, those are awesome....so why not make this video iPod in the alternate format (instead of tall, make it wide) and have the screen be the entire front face (think pocket pc like screen filling up the entire front) and have it be touchscreen?

I agree that having the touchscreen would enable a larger screen which would definitely be good (although the battery would have to be about twice as big). However, I have one of those touch screen home theater remotes, and while I like having one, programable remote with buttons that can do more than one action at a time (turning on/off multiple components), it kinda sucks for channel surfing. You have to look at the thing to figure out where all the software buttons are. I find I use the hardware buttons to change the channel/volume more often because its frankly easier. I've attached a picture so you can see what I mean.
pronto2000.jpg

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
At first I thought ICK! its wider and more rounded at the back. That said it has grown on me. THe only thing I don't like is the lack of the port on for the headphone remote.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Like others I was expecting 40/80 GB. I wasn't expecting to lose firewire though, on the top end iPod.

An unexpected plus is the stereo recording capability. If suitable accessories appear, it will finally mean I don't need the mini disc anymore.

Hopefully the claims about the sound quality are justified, and there is no sign of the piano distortion issue that affected many iPod photos. We'll know soon.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
efoto said:
Someone said that the overall dimensions, save for thickness, are all the same. The increase in width is due to an optical illusion of having a larger screen.
It looks like the click wheel is also a bit smaller than it was on the 4G - maybe it's just my eyes though.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Jay42 said:
I agree that having the touchscreen would enable a larger screen which would definitely be good (although the battery would have to be about twice as big). However, I have one of those touch screen home theater remotes, and while I like having one, programable remote with buttons that can do more than one action at a time (turning on/off multiple components), it kinda sucks for channel surfing. You have to look at the thing to figure out where all the software buttons are. I find I use the hardware buttons to change the channel/volume more often because its frankly easier. I've attached a picture so you can see what I mean.http://www.customaudioandvideo.com/pronto/images/pronto2000.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

If I had time today I would just mock one up quick to give you the idea, but on the iPod there wouldn't be a hardware button save for the hold slider. The clickwheel is already hardly hardware (easily adapted to a touchscreen clickwheel) and there are no other buttons besides that. If the screen covered the entire realestate of the iPod and the native display was horizontal (think rotate 90º) then the menus could be larger allowing touch access. Perhaps when I get home I'll throw something together just to show the idea better....

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
feakbeak said:
It looks like the click wheel is also a bit smaller than it was on the 4G - maybe it's just my eyes though.

I think that is optical illusion again. If Apple kept the same outer dimensions (leaving only a resizing internally on the casing, same case mold really) I doubt they would spend even more money to have the click wheel resized and the case to fit it. I bet it is the exact same....but only someone with both (or a visit to the Apple store) will tell for sure.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Exactly what I expected and nothing more. It's the first generation video capable iPod, it will have issues.

People expect too much from a first generation product IMHO.

Give it some time to evolve and it will become a PDA, Steve J cannot be trusted as far as his comments go. ;) :)

Apple is squeezing the consumer for all they are worth. From a business perspective it is brilliant. ;) :D

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
I'm expecting to watch my divx files on my iPod, or I'm expecting a little application that will convert every movie file into h264 320x240 iPod standard..

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I was a little concerned about the width of the thing, because it looked a little goofy to what we are used to seeing on the 4th gen iPods.

So I made this mockup from Apple's measurements. The fact it looks so much wider is an optical illusion, I guess because the screen is larger, and the click wheel has been shrunk down a bit.

Anyways, here it is. It's a comparison of a 4thGen verses the new ones:

Attachments

• 4v5compare.gif
    4v5compare.gif
    115 KB · Views: 143

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
The reason it looks so much wider is actually quite simple: the 4Gs/3Gs had a rounded front end. Thus the part of the front that was completely flat was indeed smaller (less wide) than the new iPod. However taking into account its rounded sides they are indeed of the same overall width (measured from the waist of the iPod).

The "new" flat front means that the device will look and feel more wide but allows it to be significantly thinner. I remember not liking the flat front of the original iPod and thinking my 3G was much more comfortable (less sharp) but the nano feels very smooth around the corners so I am assuming the new iPod will as well.

It also looks wider because of the new clickwheel which is significantly smaller and much less "fat". I always thought with the introduction of the gray quickwheel that my biggest problem was that it looked too "fat" and "donut-like" rather than the more ring-like shape of the 3Gs wheel.

Overall, I really do love the new design. It looks much more advanced and futuristic compared to the 1G than the 4G did. A true evolution. I don't really love the black all that much though.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
eva01 said:
its thinner than my 60GB which is the only reason i would buy one, which i may >_>

Heck the 60GB is even thinner than the 20GB B&W 4G iPod, which is itself thinner than the 20GB color iPod. That really impressed me!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
maya said:
Exactly what I expected and nothing more. It's the first generation video capable iPod, it will have issues.

People expect too much from a first generation product IMHO.

Give it some time to evolve and it will become a PDA, Steve J cannot be trusted as far as his comments go. ;) :)

Apple is squeezing the consumer for all they are worth. From a business perspective it is brilliant. ;) :D

But it will always be a great music player. ;)

I think a touchscreen and wireless will eventually come, but it will still have the scroll wheel. These 2 new features would give it a world of possibilities, or maybe more accurately a world of 'Extras'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.