The new iPods and USB 1

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Poff, Oct 29, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

Poff

Referring to this thread, it seems people get to sync their iPhones with USB 1 only computers, even though it is not supposed to work according to the specs.

Has anyone had luck syncing the new iPods, specifically Shuffles or Nanos, through an old USB 1 port?

2. macrumors 6502

It will work. It will just be about 33X slower.

3. macrumors 6502

wakka092

I synced an iPhone with a computer with a USB 1 computer for a few days. It took so long to load anything onto a 4GB iPhone, I can't imagine anyone syncing iPods that can have up to 30x the capacity and not wanting to throw their iPod across the room. :eek:

4. macrumors 6502

1st and 2nd gen shuffle checked and confirmed work with Usb 1. just mega slow

5. macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I've been able to sync my 3G iPod nano using the USB 1.1 port, but gawd, the sync rate was sluggish, to say the least. This is especially true of podcasts, where many podcast files can exceed 30 MB in size easily.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Thanks for replying. I have plenty of time, so no problem with sluggish speeds..

Anyone tried 4G nano on USB 1?

Reason I ask is that for the iPhone it didn't work before iTunes 8 came out, and Apple still say USB 2 is a requirement in their specs.