Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Our local Apple Refurb. Store has just seen an influx of multiple minis - after months of a complete drought.

It's been my experience that Apple does this about 4-6 weeks out from a refresh; the unofficial sale of old inventory. This would put a new model in line for the March event!

[I live in hope ;-)]

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Hi,

i work in an Apple Reseller and like many of you i'm waiting for the mini 2013 refresh.

From monday the two major Apple suppliers in Italy are suddenly and completely out of stock of minis. I know that this happen from time to time, but the timing is no coincidence.

Trust me, a new mini is coming next week, or at least we have solid evidence to believe it.

Our local Apple Refurb. Store has just seen an influx of multiple minis - after months of a complete drought.

It's been my experience that Apple does this about 4-6 weeks out from a refresh; the unofficial sale of old inventory. This would put a new model in line for the March event!

[I live in hope ;-)]

Hark, a new prophet is amidst us.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I've owned 3 minis. What's with your attitude and claiming I "shouldn't" be posting in a certain forum. That's a bit extreme. Why in the world are you arguing that the Mini had a display choice? It has NEVER, EVER come with a display. Apple HAS displays that will work, but it never came with one. Nor was one ever branded "for Mac Mini". Yes, some Minis did have dGPU options but NEVER for the quad core models. Sheesh, folks.

True that the Mini never came with a display unless you chose the box when ordering the Mini with the tb display. What is your point of being here. Trolling the Mini forum?

Oh geewhize I don't see those Mini's listed in your Apple inventory.

Reactions: sparkie1984

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
This might have been suggested but i'm not going to read back over 240 pages.....

If Apple implements USB type C in the new Mac Mini could that one of the type C ports be used exclusively for mains electricity? Or would Apple likely still keep its power lead and connector in place?

blut haus

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2015
True that the Mini never came with a display unless you chose the box when ordering the Mini with the tb display. What is your point of being here. Trolling the Mini forum?

Oh geewhize I don't see those Mini's listed in your Apple inventory.

So arbitrarily adding them to my inventory that nobody can verify is proof for you? Okay buddy. I only list machines I currently HAVE. I don't list my Mac IIci that is long gone, or my Apple Portable that I don't have, either. I don't see ANY products in YOUR inventory, so you must be trolling the entirety of MR because you don't own any Apple products, right?

I'm trolling the forum? How so? If I was I'd suspect the mods would speak up. I had a perfectly valid comment here, in my view you're the one who is trolling. Check your attitude.

Last edited:
This might have been suggested but i'm not going to read back over 240 pages.....

If Apple implements USB type C in the new Mac Mini could that one of the type C ports be used exclusively for mains electricity? Or would Apple likely still keep its power lead and connector in place?

Interesting question (if I understand it correctly). It looks like the current mini draws 100 watts maximum, and there is a version of USB C that can deliver 100 watts (5 amps at 20 volts), so in theory it could power a mini. But something has to be plugged in somewhere, so I'm guessing that if the next mini, that is almost certainly coming, had USB C it would be used to power other devices from the mini.

Reactions: orbital~debris

AirdanMR

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015

[I live in hope ;-)]

I hope you are right, I can wait until end of March max, and maybe I will buy the mac mini instead the macbook pro.

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
I guess it's time to start checking shipping dates every day. In US it's 6 days after BTU, in EU 3 days...can't remember what it was a few weeks ago, last time I checked.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

[I live in hope ;-)]

Please refer back to the original post in this thread to see how predictions like this can be off by a year.

Reactions: Micky Do and ABC5S

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Please refer back to the original post in this thread to see how predictions like this can be off by a year.
Hey, I've been following this thread since day one.
My post was less of a prediction and more of a message of hope for mini enthusiasts.
It is a rumour site after all...

But for the record, I think we'll see new minis (and MBPs ) in March. And how's this - a new redesign for both!

My post was less of a prediction and more of a message of hope for mini enthusiasts.

But for the record, I think we'll see new minis (and MBPs ) in March. And how's this - a new redesign for both!

Thanks Santa! I hope you are right.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Thanks Santa! I hope you are right.

I like that rumour.
Hopefully we can now get a Jim Dalrymple "yep" on that, and we're all set .

Reactions: Micky Do

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I like that rumour.
Hopefully we can now get a Jim Dalrymple "yep" on that, and we're all set .
I just hope we'll like the new mini. I'm fearing locked down, soldered in everything. I'm hoping for no more (solo) spinning HDDs, 8GB RAM standard and a quad core option. Decent graphics are a bonus, but I can't see that happening.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
2 USB C / Thunderbolt ports. A proper redesign with excellent cooling and quietness. 4 core Skylake. 8GB Ram, unsoldered. PCIe SSD replaceable. Good for multiple monitors. Good graphics. That would do it for me. And a fair price, of course :) LOL!

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
2 USB C / Thunderbolt ports. A proper redesign with excellent cooling and quietness. 4 core Skylake. 8GB Ram, unsoldered. PCIe SSD replaceable. Good for multiple monitors. Good graphics. That would do it for me. And a fair price, of course :) LOL!
And thinner... because that's what we all want in everything.

Actually. Fire Jony. Hire Dave. :D

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015

May I add a proper HDMI 2.0a to that list :D

Reactions: Cape Dave

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't think Apple cares about catering to the gaming or HTPC market at all. Apple used to cater to the server market somewhat, and that a good fraction of why I think the Mac Mini still exists. Thus, I expect any Mac Mini update to be a bit more server-centric. I don't expect fancy new multimedia connectors and no dGPU. I know it is unimaginitive, but I bet the next version will be exactly like the one today but with a newer CPU, and nothing else different.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I don't think Apple cares about catering to the gaming or HTPC market at all. Apple used to cater to the server market somewhat, and that a good fraction of why I think the Mac Mini still exists. Thus, I expect any Mac Mini update to be a bit more server-centric. I don't expect fancy new multimedia connectors and no dGPU. I know it is unimaginitive, but I bet the next version will be exactly like the one today but with a newer CPU, and nothing else different.

I agree to be realistic about it. They won't put a lot of engineering in a product that doesn't produce a lot of revenue. I plan to see nothing more than a processor and possibly up grading a port to usb type c/tb3 and that is iffy.

The desktop market is drying up and people have moved on to mobile computing.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I agree to be realistic about it. They won't put a lot of engineering in a product that doesn't produce a lot of revenue. I plan to see nothing more than a processor and possibly up grading a port to usb type c/tb3 and that is iffy.

The desktop market is drying up and people have moved on to mobile computing.

Any real work I get done on my desktop. I cannot be that unique. Mini rules!

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Any real work I get done on my desktop. I cannot be that unique. Mini rules!

People that do desktop work will still need them. It use to be anyone who used a computer would have a desktop but since the rise of tablets and smart phones it is not a requirement for the typical household and hence the decline in the industry.

Workstations and gaming PC's keep the desktops humming along but a lot of people I know have replaced their desktops with laptops and tablets.

Hell, most of them get by with a phone anymore.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
I think soon to have a desktop without a monitor built in the only choice will be a Windows box
[doublepost=1452899809][/doublepost]
People that do desktop work will still need them. It use to be anyone who used a computer would have a desktop but since the rise of tablets and smart phones it is not a requirement for the typical household and hence the decline in the industry.

Workstations and gaming PC's keep the desktops humming along but a lot of people I know have replaced their desktops with laptops and tablets.

Hell, most of them get by with a phone anymore.

Plus things like the new Windows phones which can be turned into a desktop pc (albeit primitive)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.