Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Thoughts on this chip being the new base? It's an Intel Core i5-7260U with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640.

http://ark.intel.com/products/97539/

Scores around 3,600 and 7,700 for GeekBench, up from 2,600 and 4,800 for the 4260U.

They've only just put the Skylake ones in and these Kaby Lake ones are launched - not currently shipping. I doubt Apple would use the Kaby Lake CPUs in just a Mac Mini for several months - far easier to go with economies of scale as our desktop engineers have spent months getting the battery and toolbar right in the MBP. It'll hurt if and when Apple release a 2017 Mac Mini and it uses the Skylake CPUs that were released 3 months ago in the Macbook Pro, though

I would say the CPUs remain a decent upgrade and the GPU is interesting. If the Mini is entirely made up of 15w Skylake CPUs and marketed as even more energy efficient we couldn't really complain too much if they retain the same case and maybe engineer a better cooling solution to keep the machine quieter for longer under load.

If anything, thinking ahead, the price of the Toolbar equipped Macbook Pros with the 28w CPUs make it more likely we will see the Mini go 15w Skylake across the board - for example the i5-6360U.

We could see nice fast Mini with 2 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports, PCIe NVMe SSD and hanging off the PCH several USB3 ports, HDMI, Ethernet, Wifi/BT and an internal SATA port for a spinning disk. It's just a crying shame that Apple decided to make the Mini such a completely sealed unit. Going all 15w CPU would have allowed us the chance of a smaller form factor and all Flash.

Phil Schiller: "Apple's most energy efficient desktop." ;)

The Skylake 15w CPUs should give the 28w Haswell ones in the 2014 Minis a run for their money.

Reactions: Cape Dave

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
All I know is it damn well better come with at least 8GB of ram and it better not have a damned 5400 spinner.

Even better: Do like Intel does with the NUC, and just release a Mini with some empty RAM slots and room for the user to add their own storage devices. Let the users themselves choose what to fill the machine with.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Funny… just saw a story "Why Apple's Critics are Right This Time" in the Wall St. Journal and clicked on it, thinking they would mention the lack of attention to the Mac. Nope, doesn't even mention the Mac, the story says Apple is falling behind because Siri isn't as good as Alexa. :rolleyes:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Funny… just saw a story "Why Apple's Critics are Right This Time" in the Wall St. Journal and clicked on it, thinking they would mention the lack of attention to the Mac. Nope, doesn't even mention the Mac, the story says Apple is falling behind because Siri isn't as good as Alexa. :rolleyes:
It seems like less and less people care about the Mac now-a-days. That's not good for anybody :(

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The whole personal computing revolution was fueled more on hype than need. The hype has now moved to somewhere else. What we have now is a very mature market with little room for excitement now since Moore's law is unquestionably dead.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
All I know is it damn well better come with at least 8GB of ram and it better not have a damned 5400 spinner.

If it does, I will not do any business with Apple. iPad and iPhone will be replaced. I hate "entry point/bait and switch scummy marketing. And I hate 5400 (or 7200) spinners even more. They get one last chance to keep me as a customer.

I will most likely not even buy a mini unless they do something miraculous as I want to build me a nice fast, small silent computer using a new mini-itx board and possibly dans case and a new Kaby lake. Apple may not be able to keep up with the latest tech, but I for sure can :)

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
It seems like less and less people care about the Mac now-a-days. That's not good for anybody :(
That goes double for Apple, as their 'All eggs in the mobile basket' approach REALLY suffers when less and less iOS content gets created, because developers are not idiots who buy shiny, inferior products because Apple says to. Those people are called consumers, not developers.
[doublepost=1484011032][/doublepost]
The Skylake 15w CPUs should give the 28w Haswell ones in the 2014 Minis a run for their money.
So basically even MORE of a downgrade from the 2012 Mac Mini.

:eek:

I am typing this on my new (to me) mac mini, a 2012 with the 2.5ghz i5, and the SSD and 16gb of ram I installed yesterday. My 2011 MacBook pro is now put away for travel use only. I really like the mini on my desk - small, silent, and capable for what I do. It makes the wait for the new mac mini, which is almost certainly coming, much more enjoyable.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I am typing this on my new (to me) mac mini, a 2012 with the 2.5ghz i5, and the SSD and 16gb of ram I installed yesterday. My 2011 MacBook pro is now put away for travel use only. I really like the mini on my desk - small, silent, and capable for what I do. It makes the wait for the new mac mini, which is almost certainly coming, much more enjoyable.
Nice one!
I am stuck on windows 10 and my iPad until a new mini drops!

Reactions: DesertSurfer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.