Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnakeOiler

Mar 8, 2009
I still don't understand how in 2004 the top of the configured Power mac (dual 2.5ghz G5) went for $2799. In 2009 the top of the line mac is close to $5899!! I thought these things were supposed to get less expensive... especially in a recession?! Hard drives, superdrives, and memory have all come way down in price since then and the case is basically the same. IBM even built a 3 billion dollar plant just to make the G5 in 2004! Where's all this added cost for the 2009's and why?

I paid $14,000 for a lisa, $10,000 for IIfx, and 5,000 for a mac plus. The current prices are awesome to me.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Simply, don't buy... there are other options.

To the OP.
If you don't like it. You don't have to buy it.

That is simply not true. I have invested tens of thousands of dollars and years of working and learning Mac software. Switching platform is not an option at this point. And since the Mac Pro is the only computer with PCIe slots (which I need for various 3rd party cards) and room for multiple hard drives, I am basically held hostage to Apple's Mac Pro pricing.

This time around for me, is the first time the PowerMac/Mac Pro pricing seems out of control. It feels like Apple is trying the Obama recipe of taxing the rich by raising profit margins on the Mac Pro (Mac Pro users are probably the top 5% of Mac users), to make up up for lower margins on the lower range of computers. The problem is that I don't consider the Mac Pro to be a computer only for Pro's or rich people, as it's the only expandable Mac out there. So no, we don't have a choice in my opinion.

If the 8-core 2.66GHz model was $3499 instead of $4699, I would be buying instead of complaining.

Fomaphone

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
This time around for me, is the first time the PowerMac/Mac Pro pricing seems out of control. It feels like Apple is trying the Obama recipe of taxing the rich by raising profit margins on the Mac Pro (Mac Pro users are probably the top 5% of Mac users), to make up up for lower margins on the lower range of computers. The problem is that I don't consider the Mac Pro to be a computer only for Pro's or rich people, as it's the only expandable Mac out there. So no, we don't have a choice in my opinion.

If the 8-core 2.66GHz model was $3499 instead of $4699, I would be buying instead of complaining.

surely a fine free market capitalist such as yourself can grasp that cost relates to demand... and a corporation is legally bound to its shareholders to extract the highest amount of revenue from a market with a given projected demand. apple simply did what was best for its financial future-- in that way it's not unlike obama's plan.

everybody would be happier if things cost 25% less than they do, but either you will demand a lower price by not buying it yet, or you will consume the provided supply at the current price... but stop whining.

fatespawn

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Chicagoish
I thought these things were supposed to get less expensive... especially in a recession?! Hard drives, superdrives, and memory have all come way down in price since then and the case is basically the same.

Why? Because you wish it to be so? Supply and Demand has nothing to do with your perception of your personal finances. It amazes me how many people on this board are crying because this stuff is so expensive (and I'm not saying it isn't). boo hoo, it's a recessiondepression... do you think ANY corporate entity gives a HOOT about anybody's PERSONAL finances if it won't affect their bottom line. It ain't about you, it's about Apple and the shareholders.

Yeah, they've GOT you (not you personally, but the APPLE devotee....) You invested a gazillion dollars into the Apple monopoly and LOW AND BEHOLD you are feeling the pain of what a monopoly does to supply and demand.

If (perhaps WHEN) Apple feels the pain of lost sales, you can expect a sale. Until then, they'll price the product as they see fit. It'll work itself out. Perhaps not as you'd like it to, but the way the market will dictate.

-fate

SnakeOiler

Mar 8, 2009
No, but the skills developed on it and the business based on those skills sure are.

Then complain about that, not the price of the hardware. The skills and business are really independent of the purchase of hardware. If your business/computer skills are only Apple Computer related, a better investment seems due.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
I suppose it depends on your perspective.

First, core clock speed is no longer a measure of performance. In our comparison of 8-core systems, the 2009 2.26 Nehalem beat both the 2008 2.8 and 3.2 running After Effects, Photoshop, and Compressor.

Second, Apple is offering 4-core models for the price sensitive buyer. Consider that the 1984 Mac was priced at $2495. Adjusted for today's dollars, that makes the 4-core Nehalem 2.66 Mac Pro a bargain.

Third, if you customize a 4-core i7 2.66 AlienWare X58 with a similar configuration as the 4-core Xeon Mac Pro 2.66, the price is $2468. And that doesn't include iLife equivalent software.

Jouhne

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 57

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Second, Apple is offering 4-core models for the price sensitive buyer. Consider that the 1984 Mac was priced at $2495. Adjusted for today's dollars, that makes the 4-core Nehalem 2.66 Mac Pro a bargain.

Third, if you customize a 4-core i7 2.66 AlienWare X58 with a similar configuration as the 4-core Xeon Mac Pro 2.66, the price is $2468. And that doesn't include iLife equivalent software.

Right, but that is the Alienware brand. A Dell XPS is less than $1,000. As you say it is perspective, sadly there appear to be more than a few that peg the 2009 Mac Pros in a bad light and make for an unpleasent purchasing decision.

MCHR

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Once again, there are two sides to this conversation.

The first being that we are ALL sensitive to costs, this being a stressful recession year (or years). I completely understand.

The second, however, is that I also did some comparison shopping in the PC realm before deciding to continue with Apple MPs. It turns out that a comparable Xeon HP workstation (don't get me started, I won't even consider any Dell or startup PC manufacturers) for stability. It came in at nearly $3700, and I'd have to get all PC software for my Adobe suite, etc.

I'm offering no answers here, only observations. I don't like the pricing either, and I'm as guilty as anyone for whining about it. But it is what it is, and if I want to upgrade, I will bite the bullet and get the MP, 2009. The performance increases are (again) noteworthy, despite the costs.

MCHR

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
(ahem) Just for comparison's sake:

Just for *****s and giggles, I set up an HP XW8600 workstation. The XW8400s we have at work are capable, more often my 2004 G5 is a faster machine. So. . . here goes:

System price p $3,799.00

HP WX8600,

Windows Vista 64 bit
chassis: XW 8600 1050W Plus efficient chassis
two Intel Xeon E5420 2.5 12M/1333 QC LOWPWR=80W
Nvidia quadro NVS 290 256 PCIE
4GB DDR2-667 ECC FBD RAM
HP 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 NCQ HDD
HP 16x/48x DVD-ROM SATA drive

standard keyboard
standard scrolling mouse

system price
$3799.00
shipping and tax not included

Yes, I know not completely Apples to Apples comparison, but for that generation Xeon, that's a helluva lot of money, you have to admit.

SnakeOiler

Mar 8, 2009
Man, so many folks drinking the Kool Aid on this forum.

The prices are REDICULOUS. The 2.26 should be priced the same as last years 2.8!

Here are the prices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

There's no koolaid. Sounds good though, some nice red spelling koolaid. Ferraris are expensive for a reason. So are top of the line bicycles. Ever shop for a nice sewing machine? How about a fridge? All can be had at lesser cost, you just won't get the exact same thing.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
There's no koolaid. Sounds good though, some nice red spelling koolaid. Ferraris are expensive for a reason. So are top of the line bicycles. Ever shop for a nice sewing machine? How about a fridge? All can be had at lesser cost, you just won't get the exact same thing.

You are not getting anything here other then software.

Again, last years 2008 Oct was $2699 with $1500 in CPU costs this years 2.26 is $3299 with $750 in CPU costs. Were not talking Ferrari's here were talking electronics.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Yes, I know not completely Apples to Apples comparison, but for that generation Xeon, that's a helluva lot of money, you have to admit.

Yeah when they came out the 2.83 GHz Harpertowns from Dell and HP configured similar to the Mac Pro were like $1500 more. They have always had the huge "premium" that Apple have applied for DP workstations.

SnakeOiler

Mar 8, 2009
You are not getting anything here other then software.

Again, last years 2008 Oct was $2699 with $1500 in CPU costs this years 2.26 is $3299 with $750 in CPU costs. Were not talking Ferrari's here were talking electronics.

I am currently in a room looking at dozens of computers that are far more expensive than my new mac pro. The mac pro makes every one of them look like a 1990 corolla with rattling cv joints.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
This has been covered in many threads.

* 2009 Models:
1 x 2.66GHz W3520 Bloomfield: $284 ($2499 overall Mac Pro price)
1 x 2.93GHz W3540 Bloomfield: $562 ($2999 overall Mac Pro price)
2 x 2.26GHz E5520 Gainestown: $373 x 2 = $746 ($3299 overall Mac Pro price)
2 x 2.66GHz X5550 Gainestown: $958 x 2 = $1916 ($4699 overall Mac Pro price)
2 x 2.93GHz X5570 Gainestown: $1386 x 2 = $2772 ($5899 overall Mac Pro price)

I don't think they'll be that cheap...

http://www.google.com/products?q=intel+e5520&hl=en

http://www.google.com/products?q=intel+x5550&hl=en

http://www.google.com/products?q=intel+x5570&hl=en

Prices are quite a bit higher, even though the processors are unreleased...

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
* 2009 Models:
1 x 2.66GHz W3520 Bloomfield: $284 ($2499 overall Mac Pro price)
1 x 2.93GHz W3540 Bloomfield: $562 ($2999 overall Mac Pro price)
2 x 2.26GHz E5520 Gainestown: $373 x 2 = $746 ($3299 overall Mac Pro price)
2 x 2.66GHz X5550 Gainestown: $958 x 2 = $1916 ($4699 overall Mac Pro price)
2 x 2.93GHz X5570 Gainestown: $1386 x 2 = $2772 ($5899 overall Mac Pro price)

I don't think they'll be that cheap...

http://www.google.com/products?q=intel+e5520&hl=en

http://www.google.com/products?q=intel+x5550&hl=en

http://www.google.com/products?q=intel+x5570&hl=en

Prices are quite a bit higher, even though the processors are unreleased...

Those are the prices intel charge for a tray of 1,000 CPUs. Good for making comparisons on, even though we don't know how much Apple pay exactly. Also prices tend to come down to those, even for Xeons, as webstores use them to attract customers for the higher margin items.

Cameraman12

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2009
Cali
boo hoo, it's a recessiondepression... do you think ANY corporate entity gives a HOOT about anybody's PERSONAL finances if it won't affect their bottom line. It ain't about you, it's about Apple and the shareholders.

Yeah, they've GOT you (not you personally, but the APPLE devotee....) You invested a gazillion dollars into the Apple monopoly and LOW AND BEHOLD you are feeling the pain of what a monopoly does to supply and demand.
-fate

First of all, yes, they do believe in peoples' personal finances. This is why almost every company in the world, from cars to electronics to clothing to computers have reduced prices and created incentives including low financing (like apple recently just announced with 0% for 12 months.) The times will affect their bottom line.

Secondly, almost every other model in their lineup has either stayed the same price or decreased with better specs. Only the mac pro has gone out of control price wise with an over 200% increase in five years. Supply and demand? Apple sells far more imacs than Mac pro's and their mac pro line up hasn't been selling too well lately.

And for the record, I'm not boo-hoo'ing. I purchased a 2.8 octa last week and I'm very happy I did... especially for 1899.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
I just want to add two thoughts to this discussion.

1) You are relying on megahertz way too much. For example my 3.2Ghz Pentium D is way slower than my 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo.

2) You cannot comment on the pricing until these chips are officially released, because we have no accurate information as to their cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.