The new PowerBook dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacMyDay, Apr 19, 2004.

1. MacMyDay macrumors regular

Having been waiting for the updates for months now because of my iBook screen dying, the day has come to decide about it. I've always been looking at the 12", for it's the same size as my current iBook, looks great and seems fine with specs, but it seems the changes that have come as of today has changed that, mainly due to the 128Mb graphics on the 15". I've had my iBook now for 2 years and it's done everything fine, even though at times it's been very slow, but were it not for the screen problem that would cost hundreds to repair (I've inquired into all this, as it's outside of the logic board repair program) then I'd simply keep it as it is.

I'd be using the new laptop for my time at university, which I'll be going to as of October next year to attend a 3 year course, meaning it'll be lasting me 4 years. Of course, being a student already, I'd like it to have enough power to run all the latest games for at least the time being, which it would appear only the 15" is capable of doing, but I appreciate the size and compactness of the 12". The price shouldn't be too much of a worry, as I'm not paying :eek: but I don't want to simply go for something on the basis that it runs slightly faster. I'll also have to admit I'm a fool for the backlit keyboard on the 15" and absolutely love the idea, thus wasn't too pleased it wasn't offered on the 12" as of today. It also surprises me it doesn't offer Gigabit Ethernet or FireWire 800, but I should be able to cope with such.

Thanks for any advice.

2. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

If you're not going to pay for it, why not go for the model that could last you a long time? If you think 128mb for the graphics card will help out in the long run, I say go for it. You'll love the 15".

3. filmmaker2002 macrumors regular

Get the 15". I'm a student and I carry my 15" AlBook with me EVERYWHERE in my Brenthaven backpack and you'll won't notice the weight nearly as much. It's great to have the bigger screen, kick ass graphics card (128MB 9700!!! WHOA!!!) and everything else. Trust me, you will indeed love the 15", especially now.

4. MacMyDay thread starter macrumors regular

Those cases are mega expensive. You think one of those is worth it too? As my iBook is so scratched from just putting it in my bag.

5. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

You're in the UK, so check out Apple's UK store and look at the Tucano slip cases. You can get them a bit cheaper off Amazon's UK market place though.

I swear by mine - I'm not a professional user - I'm in school - and so I'm not the MOST careful user in the world. I put it in the slip case and then straight into a regular Adidas backpack. It doesn't have a single scratch on it. I absolutely swear by my slip case - never just put your iBook straight in a bag :)

andy

6. MacMyDay thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like they're all out on the 15" at the Apple Store, but Macwarehouse has some. I think I'm gonna go for the 15" and will order it tomorrow, if my wonderful dad is about. Woohooo. No more horribly screen angels due to broken iBook screen at the moment. I'd like to rejoice at having wireless, but think asking for a base station would be asking a bit too much too.

7. BB1985 macrumors newbie

I use a Tucano jacket on my PB 12" in my backpack and it's awesome, a carefree way of carting your machine, highly recommended, good luck. :rolleyes:

8. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Your university will probably have plenty of wifi hotspots!!! :cool:

Congratulations, you'll love your 15. I've got the "old" one and it's a dream! :D :D

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

im a sucker for size. . . nothing beats the 12" it just goes EVERYWHERE. . . but that graphics card in the 15 is inticing for 2 reasons, one it is faster/better preforming and two it will last longer than the 64mb one, in the sense that it will be compatible for longer. plus the backlit keyboard. . . man i want one of those on my 12"