The "New-Powerbooks-Launch-Date-Guessing-Thread"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by srobert, Mar 11, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Ok. It's been 6 months since the last Powerbook update. The buying guide marks powerbooks as Don't Buy - Updates soon. Updates are imminent... well... maybe.

I hereby declare the "New-Powerbooks-Launch-Date-Guessing-Thread™" open. Let's not hijack the other threads anymore with our wild speculations. Let's do it here!

What do you think is the more likely Launch Date for the new Powerbooks?:

[ ] Late March —> (TUE* 22, 30) - About 6 months from last update.
    [ ] IBM Power Architecture Event —>(WED March 31)
    [ ] Early April —> (TUE* 06, 13)
    [ ] NAB —> (SUN April 18) - About 7 months since last update.
    [ ] Late April —> (TUE* 20, 27)
    [ ] Early May —> (TUE* 4, 11)
    [ ] Late May —> (TUE* 18, 25) - About 8 months since last update.
    [ ] Early June —> (TUE* 1, 8, 15)
    [ ] Late June —> (TUE* 22) - More than 9 months since last update.
    [ ] WWDC —> (MON June 28)
    [ ] Early July —> (TUE* 6)
    [ ] Macworld Boston Expo —> (MON July 12)
    [ ] Late July —> (TUE* July 20, 27)
    [ ] Apple Expo Paris —> (TUE* August 31) - Almost a year without updates!!!
    [ ] Microsoft Conference and Expo —> Spring 2004
    [ ] Never! Ever!

Note: Last time we had to wait 8 months for the update, much longer than the usual 5 months, more or less.

Powerbook G4 or G5?... I leave that up to you.

Let the guessing game begin! (No purchase necessary. Contestants must be 18 years or older to participate.)

* Yes, I do know that Apple don't exclusively release updates on Tuesdays... so quit pickin' on me. It's just for fun.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

3. dudeami macrumors regular

4. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

yesterday. we all missed it because we were too busy speculating.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

First / Second

Week of April... no later than this...

This Quartal has been of course very good because of the iPod mini, the next quartal must be pushed up and it means new powermacs and powerbooks, it's pretty clear that PM's are coming soon because normal cycle, at least is what we speculate about, almost 100% sure, but PB's are not really clear in the upcoming weeks, I really hope I can get one, better graphic card, better superdrive and will be happy, but Apple could do the same wit the release time between the titanium and the first 15" ALU, 9 months and it means we can get the G5 PB's for the next quartal an Apple will stay with high IFO values... appart of the rumored new hardware, sure we will see new toys this year, but PB's if not before April 13th, then will be announced at WWDC and shipments in september... wait and see... as always, a lot of theory and nothing sure... :(

6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Too busy specualting? *Pfff* One can never have too much of the good things... except maybe gummy bears. That was one hell of a bowel movement. Oh the agony! I blame it on the clear-white ones.

[​IMG]

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Not to hijack this thread....

But when the updated G5s arrive, there will be an outrageous speed difference between the G4 Macs and G5 Macs.
    The latest iMac (except 20") and PowerBook G4 came out around the same time (September wasn't it?), and both are in for an update.

Fastest iMac: Single 1.25 GHz G4
    Fastest PowerBook: Single 1.33 MHz G4
    Fastest G5: Dual 2.4 Ghz G5 (eh.. ofcourse based on latest rumors, and common sense ;) )

IMHO Apple must update all these Macs around the same time. With every G5 update (how nice and necessary they are!) the G4 Macs seem to lag behind enormously....
    Maybe the rumored 1.5 GHz G4 is suitable for an iBook and eMac, but not for the iMac and PowerBook.
    Me thinks that Apple has a problem..... How the heck are they going to sell G4 iMacs, unless pricetags are halved???
    If you go into an Apple Store not biased about anything, just looking for an iMac, you'll notice the HUGE spec-differences between the iMac (not cheap) and Dual G5.

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

powerbook? who cares! I want my powermac!

Thanks for pointing out my blunder.... Indeed, I've got powermac on the brain.

Powerbook updates in June @ 1.8GHz..

9. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Wow! that's a hell of a speed bump. Almost 2x as fast. I don't think I ever heard of such a speed increase. Here's hoping... but not believing.

10. ToddW macrumors 6502a

G4 updates on emac and ibook around may
    imac G5 and powerbook G5 @ WWDC

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow. You folks are optimists. I was figuring I was being upbeat hoping for an announcement at WWDC. Honestly I'd be surprised if they ship before the end of the year. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised.

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Macworld Boston Expo with availability before Christmas... :(

13. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

the clear white ones are my favorite. and one time in montreal i had beer-flavored gummy bears. i still think about them, from time to time.

and back in topictown: as always, i'm not holding my breath for a G5 laptop. speedbump, maybe, but moving an entire product line from a G4 architecture to a G5 is probably going to take some time. i'm going with end of the year at the earliest.

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Apple has decided that 'those silly PowerBook users' will just go nuts if we NEVER but the G5 in there. Instead they are going to wait until they develop the G6, have it in towers for about a year, and then completely forgo G5 PowerBooks altogether and go to G6's in late 2006 announced at MacWorld Boston (what? Boston?) yes dear, BOSTON! Steve will pull an Oprah and give everyone in the free book with a complimentary FireWire 3200 bus-powered ice cream maker from Griffin Technology!! And damn, does it look good with blue napkins! :D :D

15. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

... you had a taste of the beer flavored gummy bears have'nt ya stoid?

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I haven't slept this whole damn week due to massive college projects, I have hella **** to do this weekend, and next week is going to be worse! I've been up all night sustained by chocolate milk and cold hot dogs, I have class in 15 minutes and I'm still sitting here in my boxers about to rip out my hair.

Honestly, I think that we'll see new PowerBooks really soon with these new 1.5GHz Moto G4s, then as early as fall of this year or early next year G5 PowerBooks will emerge as the G5 hit 3.0Ghz a bit later than Jobs originally hoped for.

17. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Will I be guessing when the G5 Powerbooks come out, or the updated G4s? Because I believe there will be at least one more G4 release.

As for the G5, it will be announced no sooner than WWDC and released at least a couple months later.

I also predict that it's cooling mechanism will royally suck and there will be an unprecedented number of support issues with the first generation G5 Powerbooks.

(Jeez, what a downer I was in this post. I'm not a troll. I love my Macs. But I really think this is what will happen.)

18. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think that G4 is actually destined for the iBook and possibly the iMac assuming both aren't looking at form factor changes.

Such an outcome on the G5s as you suggest would definetly do harm to Apple's reputation given the much larger audience of potential switchers that the mini iPod gives them. Surely they have learnt from last years ibook logic board and PB screen problems, that they can't afford to release products with slack quality control. I think that's why we have seen such a delay.

19. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

announced...
    mid to late april. :)
    shipping...
    mid to late april. :D

2005 ;)

20. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I don't think you'll see G5 PowerBooks until late this year or MWSF 05'. The G5 processor produces way too much heat and unless they develop this kick @$$ cooling system for laptops I just don't see a G5 in a PowerBook until then, or until they get the chip to put out as much heat.

I do though think you will see a G5 iMac on or before the WWDC. I also think you will see a form factor change, maybe hard anodized aluminum that comes in colors like the iPod mini. Steve kinda hinted that we will see some cool things involving the G5 this year.

PowerMac G5 updates should be out by the end of this month, shipping in May!

I know it sounds weird to have a G5 in the iMac before the PowerBook, but its a hell of a lot easier to cool an iMac than it is a PowerBook.

I think the G4 will be in the eMac/iBook for a while, or else it will begin to use this new Gobi G3 processor and Apple will just market it as the G4. That would be a better for those products anyways since their only low end consumer Macs.

Just my thoughts!

21. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Who needs sleep when you got MacRumors? Some weeks I don't even blink, I just increase my post count. :)

Too many pessimists in here...

2005!? We're talking 3rd generation g5 powerbooks by then!

I can see myself now.. first year of lawschool, 3rd gen g5 pbook @ 4GHz... drool...

22. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

In light of recent powerbook price drops (>Click to see thread<) and the upcoming IBM Power Architecture Event, I have updated my original post.

23. primalman macrumors 6502a

[ ] Late March —> (TUE* 22, 30) - About 6 months from last update.
    [ ] IBM Power Architecture Event —>(WED March 31)
    [X] Early April —> (TUE* 06, 13)
    [ ] NAB —> (SUN April 18) - About 7 months since last update.
    [ ] Late April —> (TUE* 20, 27)
    [ ] Early May —> (TUE* 4, 11)
    [ ] Late May —> (TUE* 18, 25) - About 8 months since last update.
    [ ] Early June —> (TUE* 1, 8, 15)
    [ ] Late June —> (TUE* 22) - More than 9 months since last update.
    [ ] WWDC —> (MON June 28)
    [ ] Early July —> (TUE* 6)
    [ ] Macworld Boston Expo —> (MON July 12)
    [ ] Later than July
    [ ] Microsoft Conference and Expo —> Spring 2004
    [ ] Never! Ever!

Just to be clear, this will be a processor speed bump only, perhaps to 1.25/1.33/1.42, and maybe a larger HD in the high end, but nothing else.

And I don't ever see any Apple products announced at MW Boston, just based on the public spiff between the organizers and Apple last year. I could see Apple making a huge announcement right before the show, or even at the same time as the Boston keynote, just to slam em. :)

24. Zaty macrumors 65816

My guess is April 20 because of the following reasons:

- PMs will be updated first, on March 23 or more likely March 30, so April 6 is too close to the relase date of the new PMs and I don't think Apple would release new PMs and PBs simultaneously. If they did, depending on what the new revisions look like, one update would take all the attention from the other.

- Easter (My first guess would haven been April 13 but since Easter Monday, April 12, is a holiday in many countries, Tuesday after Easter doesn't seem to be a good date for an update)

By the way, I think the new revision will be G4, PB G5 won't be annouced untill at least MacWorld Expo Paris because Apple will announce them at an event and WWDC seems too early.

25. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Any confirmed date for Macworld Paris Expo 2004 ?