The New PowerMac G5 & Video cards

Discussion in 'Games' started by eXan, Oct 20, 2005.

1. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Hello,

after seeing all this new dual-core and PCI-E stuff I wandered in the online Apple Store build a nice system :D

But in the Graphics option there were only 3 cards - GF6600, LE and QUADRO FX (that one costs 1700$ more than 6600)

Any other high-end options? Like Radeon X850 or GF7800? Nope...

Maybe in time they will come to Mac pci-e?

Oh what about R520 (or whatever it is called) from ATI? Any news? I heard somewere on this forum that they'll release it in August... Its October now :confused:

Also do you think the performance GPUs will be summed like SLI on PC if multiple GPUs are installed? I think no, cuz they will drive separate displays

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

With regards to the SLI question I'd have to say as of right now twinned NVidia cards will not run in SLI mode for a couple of reasons:

1) No SLI bridge connector (this is supplied with the SLI motherboard in PC land and is requried for SLI to work at the moment).

2) No SLI support in the chipset. This is at best a guess as Apple did not say anything, but in PC land you need an NVidia NForce4 SLI chipset for SLI to work (or an ATI crossfire board, but those are pretty unusual right now).

In support of possible SLI available in the future I'd say Apple's choice of where they placed the 8x slot was interesting. The layout of the slots is like this (all slots are 16x connectors, they have different numbers of lanes connected, the spec allows for this so it's all supported):

--------
    PCIe 16x
    PCIe 4x
    PCIe 8x
    PCIe 4x

So the two slots that are best for graphics are in the same sort of places as a PC SLI motherboard (and remember in SLI mode the NForce 4 SLI boards only allocate 8x PCIe lanes to each card).

3. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

They do list a 7800GTX but for some reason or another you can't configure a PM with one?