The New Space Age Arriving June 21st, 2004

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This is awesome Mr. Anderson. Very happy that it's an American enterprise. Wow a sub orbital flight just like Alan Shepherd. I was privileged to see that live on TV. Wonder if any of the networks will cover the liftoff. :)

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, its sub orbital, but not quite like Alan Shepherd - his rocketship soared to 115 miles, reached a speed of 5,100 miles an hour and landed 302 miles out in the Atlantic.

Scaled Composites will only be going 60+ miles high (a little over half the altitude) and landing right back where they started :D

Not sure the top speed they'll reach, but its not going to be 5,100 mph either - probably around 3000 or less.

D

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is really cool, Mr Anderson you beat me to posting this. I noticed on the last flight there seemed to be a lot of vibration where the nozzle is attached to the spaceship. i hope that what i saw was within specs and normal operation. this just goes to show what private enterprise can do. Nasa could learn a thing or two from these guys. The concept is very solid and white night/spaceship one is the most beautiful things flying i have seen in years. lets hope for a smooth flight. they have done a terrific job.

5. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Not even going to be a "liftoff", more like a "takeoff" at the airport. ;)

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Private Space Travel? Dreamers Hope a Catalyst Will Rise From the Mojave Desert.

One week from today, from a runway in a barren reach of the Mojave Desert 100 miles northeast of Los Angeles, Burt Rutan will try sending a pilot higher than anyone has ever flown in a private plane.

A longtime designer of innovative aircraft, he plans to shoot his creation, a rocket called SpaceShipOne, 62 miles above the earth. If the flight is successful, Mr. Rutan and his sponsor, Paul G. Allen, the billionaire co-founder of Microsoft, say it will usher in an age of privately financed space travel and even spacefaring laboratories and manufacturing plants, at down-to-earth prices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/14/science/14plane.html

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe Bush (not being political here) has the right idea with his non-manned launch announcement today. Though I do have a an issue with profit being tied to satellites that we need, to be launched by the highest bidder...

All in all i hope they can meet the goals for the final prize.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Damn, now the 150 mph top speed of my car seems pitiful by comparison.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It has long seemed to be the case that the government got the best results for its money by just saying we want X who has the best bid. Micromanagement by political hacks has lead to more boondoggles.

10. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

Imagine what you could do if you didn't have to deal with propelling hunks of metal out of earths gravitational field. Pretty cool stuff. I think the next decade has a lot of really exciting advancements in store, nanotech is going to allow for a lot of possibilities. I see it furthering space exploration and aiding human longevity.

<offtopic>I was watching tv the other night and heard a line that struck a cord with me, there was an old man saying that according to the life expectancy back in the day he's already lived 20 years longer than he's supposed to. </offtopic>

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Call seen to privatize space project

By Beth Daley, Globe Staff *|* June 15, 2004

A commission developing a blueprint for the future of the American space program is expected tomorrow to recommend privatizing much of NASA's unmanned space exploration as the first step toward President Bush's vision of returning a man to the moon and eventually sending one to Mars.

The nine-member President's Commission on Moon, Mars and Beyond, appointed by Bush, has been working since February on a report that recommends future directions for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. According to the website Space.com, which obtained a leaked copy of the report, the commission will recommend the creation of incentives such as tax breaks for companies that develop innovative technology or complete successful space missions. It also endorses a NASA plan for monetary prizes for those companies to quickly achieve those goals. Manned space travel, however, would remain under NASA's direct management.

''It's a fabulous idea, said George Whitesides of the National Space Society, a nonprofit group that supports human space exploration. ''The promise that this offers is an entirely new strategy in space. Every time we have opened up a particular sector [of government] to private development, we have gotten faster technology."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/06/15/call_seen_to_privatize_space_project/

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Rocket plane strives to break space barrier

Privately financed bid would be a first

By Beth Daley, Globe Staff *|* June 20, 2004

Early tomorrow morning, in the middle of the Mojave Desert, a bulbous white rocket plane will attempt to climb 62 miles above the surface of the Earth in a bid to become the world's first private manned vehicle to reach space.

SpaceShipOne, a 25-foot long craft financed by Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen, is the frontrunner to win the Ansari X Prize -- a $10 million award offered by a St. Louis foundation for the first private spacecraft to prove it can ferry people to space.

If successful, the attempt could mark not just a landmark flight, but the start of a new type of space race: one among companies instead of countries.

''One person does it, and it shows it can be possible in the future," said Gregg Maryniak, chief operating officer of the X Prize, funded by a consortium of companies and individuals.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/06/20/rocket_plane_strives_to_break_space_barrier/

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

According to Scaled Composites, the launch is scheduled for 6:30AM PST, and CNN is expected to carry it.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't get CNN, so I will miss the launch. Hopefully they will carry the launch on our local news tomorrow.

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Yeah.. If my car went 3000mph+ I could sleep in an extra 15 minutes every morning!

16. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

If your car went 670600000MPH+, you could sleep in for a long, long time, every morning. ;) :p :eek:

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm going to try to tape it on my DVD recorder. "Try" meaning "I'm going to be at work, and I'll attempt to tape around the proper launch time, assuming CNN will, in fact, carry it."

If CNN does carry it, and I do get it on DVD, I'll try to make clips available.

Of course, by the time that happens, said clips will be all over the internet. So, well, I guess nevermind.

I'd attempt a QuickTime Broadcast or iChat session, wdlove, but I don't have an analog->DV converter (my Sony videocam is one generation too old to do that -- I can tape analog in, or I can connect via Firewire, but I can't transmit DV while inputting analog). Otherwise, I'd connect a TV out signal to my Mac and transmit.

If anyone has an analog->DV converter (many modern videocams will do), CNN, and a TV Out somewhere near a Mac, perhaps they could stream video to wdlove or another lucky member.

18. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It will be 9:30 AM on the East coast, but is launch when the plane/spaceship leave the ground or when the two separate and they start the rocket motor?

I'll catch it all on space.com and other news services later. I hope it goes well :D

D

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

According to their website:

"Currently we are planning to taxi out for takeoff at 6:30 a.m P.D.T."

They also state that the runway-to-runway total time is about an hour and a half, and that it takes about an hour of that time to reach launch altitude. Therefore...

I'm guessing that the actual "launch" will occur - if on schedule - around 7:30am PDT.

20. iMook macrumors regular

Actually, you wouldn't be able to sleep in for very long at all, even if your speed was just under lightspeed (as opposed to just above). Due to your acceleration and deceleration, your time would progress far more slowly than time on the outside. Thus, 15 minutes outisde would be maybe 0.003 seconds inside. Not much of a catnap if you ask me.

For the matter at hand, I sure hope that relatively high-quality clips of the (preferably complete) launch and flight of TierOne (White Knight + SpaceShipOne) will be online soon. Man, I can't wait, even though SpaceShipOne is basically just porpoising into space and back again.

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

CNN now says that the separation will occur at 10am ET, not roughly 10:30am ET, as mentioned on the Scalar Composites site (well, they say launch at 9:30 ET and "roughly an hour" until separation).

I'd guess that Scalar would know better than CNN, but we'll see. Or, for many of us, watch later. I'm on my way to work, and I'm taping CNN starting at 9:15am ET for a little over three hours. Hopefully, I'll have something when I come home.

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Watching the post flight press conference. They are getting technical.

When are their X Prize runs going to be?

23. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

it worked!!!! Space Ship one has landed and it went 62 miles high! :cool: :D Now when can I go? :rolleyes:

24. JesseJames macrumors 6502a