"The new wireless networking standard"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vanillamike, Feb 11, 2003.

1. vanillamike macrumors regular

I just got an email today from Future Shop (Canadian equivalent to Best Buy) and they mentioned a new standard in wireless networking 802.11g:

"A group called the IEEE has established a new standard in wireless networking.

The new standard, called the 802.11g, operates at speeds of up to 54 Mbps - five times the speed of the previous 802.11b standard. "

It then goes on to talk about the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G.

I guess steve was right about airport extreme setting a new standard, and now the PC world is following suit.

I was wondering which came first the apple version or the PC version?

Mike

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Explain yourself. I happen to think Apple has done an excellent job. Innovation doesn't necessarily mean creating technology but it also encompasses actually using technology in current products.

Who would say...

Rendezvous- isn't innovation. Sure it's based on an open spec but who else is pushing it but Apple.

Quartz Extreme- Beat Microsoft by 2 years on this and counting.

OSX and it's architecture is oozing with innovation.

True Genius is the abiltity to make the complex simple. Apple has done that in so many ways we take it for granted. All this from a company who's Gross Revenue is lower than Microsofts profits. That's amazing.

4. iconrad macrumors member

Re: Linksys

I was wondering what all Rendezvous can do?

I remember seeing a demonstration with iTunes, and have used it to IM people in my house. But that is about it...

If anybody could give me an idea of what it is capable of I would appreciate it.

5. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Re: Re: Linksys

How bout plugging into a network, and being able to print to any printer shared on that network. How bout automatically setting up your broadband at home with little or no effort on your part. How bout sharing your music with a wireless MP3 player where it just works from the beginning. How bout being able to "talk" to any bluetooth enabled device in the area. Really, anything that required some extra time in setting up before could be made simple so that it just works with no effort.

Of course, this is future uses, right now it is great for meeting others with a powerbook in the area of your wireless network.

6. GrandShenlong macrumors member

I must say that Apple lagged a little on Airport Extreme.

Several weeks before Airport Extreme was shown to the world, I believe CNET had already reviewed a couple early PC routers.

P.S. - But dammit! WHERE THE HECK IS IPOD2?!?! (or iPod Next, iBean, or whatever)