The new Zelda is amazing but...

Discussion in 'Games' started by LukeW, Dec 11, 2006.

1. LukeW macrumors member

... I have one small issue which is driving me insane. Fighting is great with the wiimote, but that little pointer fairy is driving me mad, as when you have to whip the wiimote back and forward, slashing away at waves of baddies, the little bugger is doing dllliiiiinnnnnnnnnngggggdllliiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggdllllliiiiiiiiiinnnnng over and over again and it is incredibly distracting. I know you can turn off the pointer in the menu but then you cant aim anything with the wiimote.
    Anyone know of an option that I have overlooked that lets you look around but turn off the fairy, or at least its damned jingle?
    :p Any help would be very VERY much appreciated!!

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I agree with you; my solution is to simply not point at the screen. I hold the Wiimote vertically, normally, when playing Zelda.

3. erikk18 macrumors newbie

What I do is just aim the pointer down so the fairy is at the bottom of the screen(half hidden). She becomes inactive and you can still swing the remote to slash with the sword (without her jingling). The only time you actually have to point the remote at the TV is when you are shooting a projectile.

Hope this helps!

4. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

You can turn off the pointer fairy if you like. It has a name, I just can't remember what it is. Hit "+" on your remote, then point at Options. It's in there somewhere. Problem solved.

I kinda liked the fairy. When I got bored I'd dance it around the screen. I guess I'm weird.

EDIT: Sorry guys, I was wrong. I was sure I found it in there when I was playing around one day, but the only option is to completely stop using the pointing feature of the Wiimote. It can't just hide the fairy when you don't need it.

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I generally only point at the screen when I'm ready to fire.

I also like to dance my little fairy around. That really doesn't sound right at all. :eek: But since you mentinoned it first, I'm just going to blame the weirdness on you. :p

Finally got component cables. They make a 5 fold difference on LCD TVs.

<]=)

6. LukeW thread starter macrumors member

Good idea, I will give keeping the wii mote pointing away from the screen a go. I dont mind the fairy normally, I am quite happy to have it hopping around when I am exploring, as I rarely use it, infact I wouldnt care if it was zipping around when fighting, only it keeps making that bloody jingle sound, why Nintendo thought it was a good idea for it to make that noise every slight movement it makes I will never know.

7. Malus macrumors 6502

I like the fairy...sometimes I yell "HEY" and "LISTEN" just so I can have that OoT feel.....

that was a joke.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I find it actually feels better to hold the Wiimote vertically (like I said), pointing up. Then when you attack swing it forward and downward, like you're bashing enemies over the head :D

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Who thinks OoT was the best Zelda game ever?

*rasies hand*

10. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

But Navi and its famous "Hey! Listen" nags is probably the most annoying thing from any Zelda ever and most reviewers and players probably let it pass because the game was very good.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It made you want to answer it though, now didn't it? :)

12. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Who thinks OoT was the best game ever?
    *Raises hand*

13. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I have to be honest and say that although it was an AWESOME Zelda game, it was not the best. The difficulty was way too easy for me. The fact that Navi practically tells you how to solve a puzzle was very annoying ("Ooh! Look at that Rock! I think if you blow it up, something nice might happen!"). Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening forced the player to find the solution for themselves. I even got past the so-called "difficult" water dungeon in a day. (c'mon, seriously, it just takes a little thinking. It's not THAT hard)

Plus the fact that you receive an element medal right when you become an adult just reaks of "damn, we couldn't fit another dungeon in here, so here's a cheap fix-it"

I guess my age is showing. In a world where people think that the N64 is "classic" gaming... I cringe, weep tears of unfathomable sorrow, and proceed to turn on my atari 2600, hoping I'll one day figure out Solaris.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

*looks the other way* :eek:

I'm enjoying ZTP way more, even though OoT was a blast and up there with my favorites. The vastly better Wii controls and whole wolf thing has really made it for me. :)

I actually like WW better than OoT, just because it had so much more going for it.

<]=)

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Maybe I just suck at games, 'cuz I STILL can't beat that fricken Lake dungeon!:eek:

16. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

My hand is raised, though I beginning to think Twilight Princess may equal OOT for me personally

17. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I'll raise my hand to OoT as well. :D

Gotta admit though, I didn't like WW much at all. It was fun in the beginning, but the boat reeeally slowed things down, especially when you have to keep changing the wind direction when it'd be so much more fun to just steer in that direction! :rolleyes:

18. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I can't comment on Z:TP or OoT since I'm yet to play either. I really enjoyed WW apart from the boat scenes. Minus the boat, it was a fantastic game. With the boat, it was so so. I'd probably go back and replay it if there wasn't that sodding boat in there.

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The boat could be annoying and travel in the beginning was WoW slow, but I didn't mind, only because it was something different. It gave me a greater sense of exploration versus just running around on land. With ZTP I really don't get that feeling, even thought it's apparent that the game does have quite a bit to explore.

WW's weather and time systems are still one of the best IMO. The cartoony style of art really helped to convey these things.

At least the boat wasn't as annoying as the Minish cap. I certainly wanted to kill that thing more than once. :eek:

My feelings for OoT are mostly nostalgia when compared to a game like ZTP, which is just a great game all around. OoT was fun while it lasted, but I couldn't go back and play it now after using the Wii's uber controls.

Littleodie914,
    It was a sail boat, not a motor boat. It was fun learning how to operate it. I do agree that having to constantly change the wind could get old, but thankfully later in the game the option to warp was made available. Anyway, Nintendo must have heard yours an many other's complaints, because with Zelda DS, the boat is now steam powered. ;)

<]=)