The next Apple event?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by knowledg333, Jan 12, 2007.

1. knowledg333 macrumors member

I'm thinking that the next Apple event will unleash Leopard, as well as *I hope* some laptop component upgrades and new displays. Does anyone else agree? Also, when might this event take place?

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

It's all kind of speculative, but they were at least kind enough at MWSF to hint that updates to the overall product line would be frequent throughout the year.

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

All I know is they better show Leopard, iLife, and iWork. I feel that they what to release these software together as they will all use a ton of Leopard only features :D

Cheers to hoping any way :cool:

4. DMBGuru macrumors regular

Any word as to how much it'll all cost?

(If there's a standard price from past products, I dunno... I'm a recent switcher.. only 2 days ago, lol).

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Standard price: $129 for Leopard, $79 for iLife (family packs $199 and $99). I can't see Apple just announcing Leopard with a press release. I expect an event.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think Apple will plan a big event for Leopard. Its a big change with lots of cool demos Steve can do.

I don't think Apple will be waiting for an event to announce updates to their computers anymore. When updates are ready, they will just throw them up on the website.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They released Panther and Tiger without an event. One day a 2 weeks countdown appeared on the apple website and when it hit zero the OS was available. No flashy event, no massive press presence.

8. Jowl macrumors 6502

But Leopard is 'going up against' Vista. So I expect they'll have some sort of event rather than just a press release.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So was Tiger. So was Panther actually.... :D :D

Bloody hell Vista's late. I reckon you're right and Leopard will have an all singing all dancing release I was just saying that history doesn't suggest an event release.

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I hope that they do plan a big event for Leopard, makes it more exciting than just a 'countdown to release' on Apple's website. :D :)

11. Jowl macrumors 6502

:D

When is Vista released to retail? I've seen people suggest that Leopard would be annouced soon after.

I wonder if Vista SP1 will be out before OS X 10.6?

12. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I predict an event in mid-March. Leopard, iLife and iWork will be previewed with a launch date of April 1st (yeah, I know it's a Sunday). The 'one more thing' will be the Beatles on iTunes and the Beatles iPod.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

January 30th is the public release date, OEM and corporate clients got it in November last year.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Don't hold your breath on that one Jowl. :p ;) :D :)

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I dont think they will be doing the 'one more thing' anymore. Once, twice, three times at a push its funny. The fourth time its just sad. And detractors will start picking up on it and taking the piss.

No more 'one more thing'.

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think Apple will do a Special Event to unveil Leopard, plus the expected iLife and iWork upgrades (as skubish said, there'll be lots of cool stuff for Steve & co. to demo, plus they'll be able to do a bit Vista bashing).

They'll also upgrade the Mac Mini, either quietly on the same day or on stage, to Intel Core 2 Duo, so that the entire Apple Mac range will ship with 64-bit processors plus an OS that can utilise it fully.

17. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

SJ did say there will be some exciting new products coming in the next few weeks near the beginning of his keynote.

I think there will be a "special event" for a formal announcement of The Beatles on iTunes and the introduction of a new iPod. Why did he tease us with all them Beatles stuff in his keynote?

I think the new iPod will have the same "iPod features" found on the Apple iPhone. Meaning high-res widescreen, touch screen, new UI, cover flow, bluetooth and accelerator. I also think Apple could surprise us by including the 2MP camera just to spice up the iPod and include that Photo app as well. It's all there on the iPhone, it won't be hard for them to just drop the phone and internet communicator from the device since it's coming off the same production line anyway. This will be THE iPod of all iPods!

I mean, the iPod's evolution started just by playing just music, then went to include photos, then videos. The iPod will be that much more appealing and would be a major upgrade! You think I'm asking too much? Wishful thinking? :D

18. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Historically, they have released versions of OS X on or around March 24.

19. turtlebud macrumors 6502

Actually, they had a special events at the apple stores when they released Panther and Tiger. The Panther one you could enter to win an imac and you get these Panther dog tags. The Tiger was was especially cool cause everyone that went got a scratcher card and was able to win prizes. I won a 1st gen ipod shuffle. At the very least, you would get a code for a free itune. I hope they do that same for the Leopard - I'd be up for some free itunes or other apple products!

Panther
    Tiger