The next Apple OS. 2006 or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Damien, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Damien macrumors regular

With Apple saying there will slow down the upgrades after Tiger are we unlikely to see the next OS next year? I thought it would be good to release one around longhorns release to make sure that the Mac OS is ahead.

So what do you think of the next OS, What do you think about the chances of it being released in a years time? What do you think it will be, a small or big update? Or even a next gen OS?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can't see there being another major update for ~2yrs. Which would STILL put it before Longhorn (slated for '08 last I heard).

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Agreed... but I'd love to see them pull something spectacular out of the hat 2-3 days before Longhorn is trundled out.

With all that dough they're making, wouldn't a free major point update tied to Tiger be cool? One can wish... :rolleyes:

4. iGary Guest

iGary

It was a year and half ago Panther was released, so prolly ~2 years as the gentleman from Great Britain said.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would expect to see a preview of the next OS at WWDC 06, with a release date about a year away from that....

unless apple wants to really start competeing with MS and do a race/feature list and do an update around the time of Longhorn's launch, which i dont see happening

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

2006 does seem excessive. It would depend to some degree on their business strategy. Some of the updates (or at least parts of them) that are bundled in the OS upgrade could come at any time regardless of the OS. However, including these sorts of perks in the OS upgrades is part of what convinces a lot of people to upgrade.

2008 seems too far off though. That's nearly three years (at least), and none of the last 5 updates have taken more than 18 months. I doubt Apple is willing to give us free updates for that long. They'll want another $69/129 out of us before then.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Late 2006 is a possibility - that is October or later. Otherwise I'd say by April or so of 2007.

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Serious? I think "Longhorn" should be changed to "Longwait". ;) :rolleyes:

With all these delays, Longhorn have better be one heck of an OS.

9. Damien thread starter macrumors regular

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

About 2 years sounds reasonable to me. I'd be surprised if Tiger's successor isn't available by mid 2007 or so. In the meantime, M$ will be hard pressed to deliver by then what Apple did with Panther, much less what Tiger is going to be adding. :)

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not for a long long time yet, figure two years between OS updates now....thats 2007 for 10.5, 2009 for 10.6, 2011 for 10.7, 2013 for 10.8, 2015 for 10.9

and thats if they dont speed up/slow down at all in these years, could be longer or shorter, but the OS X marketing is good and there is no reason to get rid of it prematurely

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Timing the next release to embarrass Longhorn seems likely. This would require adding some new technologies that Longhorn will clearly lack. Longhorn does seem like it will be able to _claim_ some of the key Panther and Tiger features like search and eye-candy.

13. Damien thread starter macrumors regular

I dont see why OSX has to go all the way up to 10.9

What would the next gen OS do? What would make it next gen?

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly why its going to take about 10 years to get there, next gen isnt going to happen when OS X is only about 4-5 years old at this point, next gen takes time because of hardware and user needs, OS X doesnt have to go to 10.9, but it can go past too, but it will be a long while before the next generation of OSes come out

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Have there been roughly three different generations of operating systems for the Mac over the last 21 years? 1-6, 7-9, 10. (I think that's right). OS X has a long way to go before a complete overhaul. On the other hand, I wonder if OS X will take us all the way to true 64-bit, or if it will be the 32/64 operating system.

Um. I think I may be off on these assertions. Please correct me if I am.

16. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I'm thinking late 2006, going into 2007.

Based on no knowledge or evidence whatsoever.

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I heard they were rewritting it based on a UNIX Core and it was going to include a solid UI pixel precise Framework leveraging OpenGL, called Cubic Zirconia Extreme :eek:

Of course, thats a joke.

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IIRC, it was after Panther that Apple said it would slow down releases of the OS. 10.3 had come a year after 10.2. 10.2 had come a year after 10.1. 10.1 had come a year after 10.0. 10.4 comes about 18 months after 10.3. If Apple keeps its new schedule, you can expect 10.5 in time for Christmas 2006.

19. Bear macrumors G3

When Apple has something to really shake up things (which will take many years). OS X is a very good foundation and should last for many years.

20. link92 macrumors 6502

WWDC '06 or Expo '06 Preview, with it shipping near Christmas? As for a Longwait embarrasser, they should wait until Longwait has its release date announced, then about a week after, preview the next gen Mac OS, and ship it the same day as Longwait. Hell, I'd like to see Microslow's reaction.

21. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Not true (but you were close):
    Mac OS X 10.0: March 2001
    ~6 months
    Mac OS X 10.1: September 2001
    ~11 months
    Mac OS X 10.2: August 2002
    ~14 months
    Mac OS X 10.3: October 2003
    ~18 months
    Mac OS X 10.4: April 2005

I'd say that 10.5 is set for mid to late 2007, with some incredibly cool new features (as always).
    -Chase

22. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

It is still slated to be released May 2006 and MS has not made an any statement stating other wise. Really you all are just making stuff up.

M$ seems pretty set on the May 2006.

23. Bear macrumors G3

Funny, I was talking about the release of Mac OS X after Tiger, not Longhorn. And yes, it is a guess, but I'd say a reasonable one.

24. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

meh it sorry it I though you where talking about longhorn since thier are clearing several post about longhorn with just making stuff up about longhorn

25. deanbo macrumors regular

G6's should be ready about this time, shouldn't they?