The next chip after merom?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KfackC, Aug 22, 2006.

1. KfackC macrumors member

hello,
    what is name of the next chip after Merom ?

2. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

lol C'mon, we haven't even got Merom out yet, if you're referring to Core 3 Duo, then nobody knows.

But if you're talking platforms, then Merom is the portable processor, Conroe is the desk-top based processor and Woodcrest is the server/high-end desktop.

Cheers

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Intel's roadmap quickly gets confusing, as they have multiple lines in development, including low-cost single core chips. But Penryn is the direct successor to Merom...it's a die shrink to 45 nm.

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

hello,
    what is name of the next processor after Intel ?

:rolleyes: :p :eek:

5. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

I think it's "Peckerhead" but don't quote me on that.

6. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

4 cores, 8mb l2 cache.... i have no clue? maybe codename "Waytheheckouttamypricerange-crest" :p

7. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I believe Santa Rosa will be out next to support merom and get rid of the napa platform used now. Apart from merom I do think that it's going to Penryn, but I'm just as confused as everybody else so don't quote me on that. I'm just hoping something significantly faster than merom is out by the time my tibook dies. Either that or I'll buy after leopard. Let's just hope these processors come out faster and COOLER. I want a nice and cool notebook!

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Santa Rosa is the nest intel pocessor line after merom. It runs with NAND flash for faster booting times. Apparently it's goanna be released mid-next year.

9. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

santa rosa is a chipset platform, not a processor

10. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Santa Rose isn't a processor it is a platform. It will allow for processors, eg merom to have a FSB of 800MHz as opposed to 667MHz, improved graphics, 802.11N wireless protocol and NAND which allows for super-fast boot-up using memory similar to ROM....? Not sure on that one.

I personally am waiting for it, as I'm to poor to buy a Mac now let alone an upgrade to Leopard next year, so I'll give it until May next year.

Cheers