The Next Election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by acidrock, May 5, 2005.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

A forshadow of the next election, what do you think about having Hilery Clinton and Condilisa Rice running? best

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

John Kerry is here in Louisiana for some reason. i think i heard re-election somewhere in the article. :::shudders:::

W

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Condi can go jump off a bridge, and I wouldn't mind Hillary, I'd vote for her in a minute, but I don't want her on the ballot. Sadly, she doesn't have a snowmans chance in hell of winning. Too many people hate her and there are probably enough old fashioned conservative rednecks out there who would shoot her before letting a woman run the country, which is probably the same reason we won't see a woman, Jewish, African American, Muslim, ect, president for a long time.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think you'd better just call them Mrs. Clinton and Ms. Rice.

John Kerry lost the election, so he could not be reelected to that office.

Al Gore is the last Democratic presidential nominee who could be up for reelection.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hahahahahahahaha. those two spellings cracked me up :D

6. coconn06 macrumors regular

LOL. So true =(

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'd much rather see gore run if he sticks to his pre or post VP guns (like with that fiery nyu speech) than clinton. sadly, i think all of these people are better people out of office.

but as far as democrats go in general... how about that letter that kucinich sent to dean about his spinelessness in terms of the iraq occupation??? stellar

letter

8. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

ROFL

[/QUOTE] John Kerry lost the election, so he could not be reelected to that office.

Al Gore is the last Democratic presidential nominee who could be up for reelection.[/QUOTE]
    Is that true? About Kerry? Why?

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Kerry didn't win his election; Gore did.

10. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Sorry - I didn't read your quote carefully enough. I assumed it meant that Kerry couldn't run because he had already run and lost and was barred from running, for some reason. My bad :eek:
    FWIW most commentators here seem to think that Clinton and Rice will contest the next election. Not sure how well Rice would go down with the Republican right. An African- American female you say? Not over my dead body. Personally I think she's sharp enough to do the job well as is Hilary but is she too hated to get the nomination? Hmmm time will tell.

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I think the media is desparately hoping that it will come down to a Clinton vs. Rice election, but I don't realistically believe that's going to be the outcome. Mrs. Clinton may have strong support among Democrats, but she's such a polarizing figure that it would be awfully difficult for her to actually win the election; so I'm skeptical about her chances of getting the party's nomination. On the other hand, I'm not sure who else the Democrats have waiting in the wings.

I'm not sure where you've gotten the impression that Republicans wouldn't support Ms. Rice. She's probably as popular among Republicans as Ms. Clinton is among Democrats. I don't believe she (Rice) is quite as "hated" by Democrats as Clinton is by Republicans, but there would obviously be a lot of opposition to her candidacy from the left.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not to re-open a can of worms, but many are still convinced that the unexplained disparity between the normally-accurate exit polls and the "actual" vote indicates that there was some funny business going on. Though I myself pooh-poohed that idea following the election, I'm coming around to it, seeing how those nice folks at Diebold seem to be tightly tied to the Republican party.

In short, I think it's possible that Kerry did win.

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

There was a thread, a while back now, about people's predictions about the political party/race/gender/sexual preference of the first person elected U.S. President who isn't a "straight white guy". I'm pretty sure that at the time I predicted it will be a hispanic male, and that he will be a Republican. But if by some turn of events the 2008 election does come down to Hillary versus Condi, my bet's on Dr. Rice -- elected by, among other, a bunch of old-fashioned conservative rednecks. Would you like to take me up on that? ;)

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm afraid if Blair could win ours, Bush could win yours, fair and square. Unconvincing opposition in both cases.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Neither of these individuals have much to recommend them as presidential candidates, except that they are high up within their respective party structures. In each of the last few presidential elections most of the nominated major party candidates were in those positions because it was "their turn" or were otherwise well-connected, and not because they offered any vision, political appeal or genuine leadership.

I hope neither one of these people runs, and if they do, that neither are nominated. Fresh faces and fresh ideas, please. Is that too much to ask?

16. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

The general, and I stress general. perception here is that the Republican right can be fairly narrow minded in their view of females in power, and in some cases, of African-Americans. That is the perception - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong I have no desire to start a flame war :) )
    I agree that Mrs Clinton may be a polarising figure but is she any more so than Bush? I also agree on your Rice/ Democrat Clinton/ Republican impression.
    As you say it may be a choice that is made for both parties simply by having no other suitable candidates.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Until you get reform of campaign financing, is it going to be any different? Corporations choose their candidates carefully.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's part of the problem. The other part is an ossified party system.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Arnold is dead. Long live Arnold.

20. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

No I don't wish to take you up on that - I like keeping my money :D

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i actually liked Dean last time around, but i realize that he is too far left to ever get elected.....im not sure if i would vote for Mrs. Clinton or Ms. Rice, neither one would have it in them to do the job right

as has been mentioned, we need to get some fresh faces around in these parties for the good of the nation...

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

No, I didn't want to start a flame war either. I guess my simple recommendation is that if you'd like to know what Republicans think about a Condoleeza Rice candidacy is to (gasp) ask them. ;)

Oh, I would say that President Bush is more polarizing than Mrs. Clinton at this point, hands down. So the question you're getting at is whether the voters' dislike of Bush would translate into unelectability for Dr. Rice? Perhaps so. A lot of that depends on how things go for the Bush White House over the next few years. If the economic situation at home continues to improve and things stabilize overseas -- which, admittedly, is a lot to hope for before the hard-core campaigning for 2008 begins -- the next Republican candidate(s) would be in pretty good shape going into election season.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

seems perception is stronger than reality.

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I took my first trip out to California a few weeks back, and based on conversations with some of my colleagues out there, Arnold isn't a very popular guy. (Regardless, of course, there's the fact that he wasn't born in the U.S. and is thus ineligible to run for President anyways.)