the next football dynasty will be the atlanta falcons

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jan 14, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am predicting the unpredictable, but michael vick and the falcons are the next big team

they beat the green bay packers in the playoffs in the first round and that is as far as they got this year

but as the decade goes along, teams like sf, st louis, green bay, and the raiders...and some others, will fall out of yearly playoff contention

age and injuries will be a big factor

tennesee can start their dynasty now if they beat the raiders and go to this superbowl and another one or two later in this decade...of course, it would be nice to win a couple along the way;)

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Heck no

The falcs dont have enough players with future talents for that. My pick is the Browns. Tim Couch is a young player and he WILL be good. Same with their running back, and their receivers.

Michael Vic isn't the best thing since sliced bread. I dont see what the big facination with him is. He cannot pass the ball as well as most other quarterbacks, but he can run it. If he is playing a team that will contain him, he is jacked.

Our Varsity football team had the same deal. We had a black quarterback that was really fast, a good leader, but he wasnt a great passer.

Well we were undefeated until the last game, and the biggest game of our season against our rival. They contained our QB and if he tried to run, he would be hit hard. We lost that game 31 to 17.

I see the Browns, the Bears, and the Giants as upcoming teams.

3. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I like Vic, I see a lot of Steve McNair in him. He'll learn not to be so ballsy as time passes, he'll get knocked silly enough that he'll slow down, check his options, and become a better player.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: the next football dynasty will be the atlanta falcons

LOL, the Falcons will be a one hit wonder just like they have been since the early 90's. In '91 Atlanta was a wild card upset king in the playoffs until Washington pummled them in the Divisional game on a cold, wet day in RFK stadium. In '95 Atlanta had another wild card birth but was beat by Green Bay in the first round. In '98 they made it to the Super Bowl but got slaughtered by Denver.

Since '91 one this was only their 4th winning season, and they haven't had back-to-back winning seasons in over a decade.

Lethal

5. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: Heck no

You people should stick to talking about macs. The only way the Browns will ever be an elite team is if they have the guts to get rid of their overrated #1 pick, Fred Munch, and make Kelly Holcomb their starter. I've seen Holcomb play 3 games this season, including that playoff game against Pittsburgh, and he is a future star in this leage, and he is a much better QB / leader then Fred Much (aka the second coming of Elvis Grbac) .......but all this Cleveland/Atlanta talk is moot because last time I checked Jay Fiedler didn't play for either of these teams. :eek:

Attached Files:

6. Macpoops macrumors 6502

First of All besides Vick the falcons have nothing. They have a a no name defense (other then Ray Buchanon) who is just having a decent year. Even if stays in the pocket and throws the ball Who is going to catch it? They don't have any good wide outs. Brian Finneran is a number 3 wideout at best.
    The only thing that sets mike vick apart from other mobile quarterbacks is his speed. He's not revolutionizing the position the way Randal Cunningham did back in the day for the eagles, He was one of the first mobile running quarterbacks. Vick is no better then the Donovan McNabbs and Steve McNars of the world, he's just faster.
    The bears i can see being an up and coming team.....If they can get a quarterback Jim Miller is absolutely horrible. Browns i can see but Couch has not developed nearly as much as the other quarterbacks from that class, in fact the only one that has become a star from that quarterback class is Donovan McNabb.

The Giants i can't see being an up and coming team. They have alot of age with the exception of Shockey, who is amazing.

This year is the year of the Bird. My Birds are going all the way. Philadelphia is the team to beat this year fellas i hate to break it to you. No telling whats going to happen next year, the nfl being the way it is, but this year is the year for the Philadelphia Eagles

7. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Glad to see another Eagles fan!!! Are you from the Philly area? I think the Eagles will be good for a couple of years to come, as long as their nucleus and Andy Reid stay with the team.

8. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

WTF???

Ok guys, lay off the Falcons. I dare say that while Jef might be overstating the situation a bit, he's definitely on to something. First off, we all have to admit that Vick really is that good. He is. Plain and simple. The guy is 22 freakin' years old, for Christ's sake. He's already the fastest and most mobile athelete in the league, and he's got an arm like a cannon. He has 15 years to work on accuracy and routes, folks. Fact of the matter is Michael Vick is more than just the most talented up and comer in the NFL, he's the most talented athelete in the whole league. Period. End of story. Maybe not the best position player yet, but give him time.

Second, everyone seems to be forgetting about Warrick Dunn, no slouch himself. He's big and fast and hella tough. He stays healthy and nobody short of the Bucs can slow down the Atlanta run. All the Falcons really need is to up the quality of their wideouts and they have a damn near unbeatable offense. As for the "no big name defense" argument, well it's just silly. They don't have to pack a line like Tampa Bay or a defensive backfield like Oakland to win games. They proved that by winning at Lambeau. Just work on conditioning and consistency while going after solid talent.

Third, the Browns blow. Seriously people. The Browns? Come on. I'm a HUGE Jets fan, and while I believe we're on the way back from our 30 year exile in suckville I'd have a little trouble arguing that my beloved team is the new heir apparent to run the league. Fact of the matter is that my Jets are a better team with far more talent and a better coaching staff than the Browns. Don't let your status as a fan blind you to the painfully obvious.

So let's look at the possibilities for the new elites, shall we? There's Oakland, but they've got a pretty old squad over there. The Cowboys managed to win for a long time in a similar position, but I think the jury's still out on whether or not guys that are getting up there (Jerry rice, etc.) can hold out at this level long enough to establish a dynasty. The Eagles look great so long as Donovan McNabb stays healthy. I think they've got potential enough to dominate in the years to come. One team that nobody has mentioned as a possible contender to the throne is the defensive juggernaut down in Tampa Bay. I don't even have to say anything about the biggest, baddest, scariest defense in teh history of the NFL, so I'll move directly to Brad Johnson. He's really starting to deliver on all that potential. He's obviously Gruden's boy, and I think he'll continue to improve. They're a top notch team. I'd say that the Bucs and the Eagles are the only two NFC squads that have what it takes to simply dominate. As for the AFC, there's the aforementioned Raiders, and then you've got to take a look at the Titans and the Jets. The Titans have a ton of potential and an incredible offensive backfield. Their situation is, imho, very similar to that of Atlanta. The AFC is a little more of a crapshoot right now, as it's wide open. I think Pennington is really starting to look GREAT in New York, and a solid cast of both running backs and wide recievers seems to really accomodate his style. The Jets biggest problem is defense. Solve that, you win the league.

So that's my $.02. Yeah yeah, I know I said I wasn't going to tout the Jets, but I couldn't help it. Take everything else seriously, though. :D

9. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I'm tired of hearing this one man team crap. The Eagles proved that they can win and play well without Donovan Mcnabb. They were 5 and 1 with a 3rd string quarterback for god sake.
    Honestly how can you argue that they are nothing without their starting quarterback?

As for any bucs fans out there i just want to know which team ended your season the last 2 years? Here's a hint It's the same team you haven't scored an offensive touchdown on in the last 3 games.

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i feel ok about philly, titans, and the bucs for a superbowl ring

but oakland, in my home turf, is so old and prone to getting the tar knocked out of them in important games....they are the all time chokemeisters in big games

part of the reason is because they use washed up, or almost washed up players who were rejected by other teams

but unlike a few teams out there, at least they get to big games

but that still does not console us california football fans with the new england loss in the afc championship last year, the loss to the ravens (which was expected anyway) and other losses in the past to the steelers and to division rivals the chiefs, broncos, and the seahawks

too many times oakland missed the playoffs, which if they went anyway, they would choke

the last time oakland won a superbowl, they were the los angeles raiders and many of you here were not even born or football fans yet...january 1984...nineteen years ago:rolleyes:

11. 3777 macrumors 6502

ugh........... my Dolphins are the all time chokemasters thank you:eek:

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

in their heyday under coach madden, they achieved an unsurpassable .750 record in a decade, and they only have one superbowl ring to show for it

another team that reminds me of winning crazily for a decade with only one title is the atlanta braves in baseball

13. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I know what you're talking about. Philly teams choke all the time. The last time the Flyers made the Cup, Detroit swept them in 4. The Wild Thing gave up a homer to lose the Series for the Phils in 1993. The Eagles tanked in the mid-90's. I don't think owners realize, you have to spend the bucks to get consistent quality players. Philly (until recently), and the Raiders are big offenders.

14. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Yes, us philly fans have taken a beating over the years. Nothing being worse the that fateful night in toronto. The chill still runs through our bones. Hell he's the manager of a minor league team in Atlantic City and still gets heckled for it by us rabid philly fans.
    We've been to the big dance before back in 1980, yes it was long ago, and sadly we fell to the Raiders of Oakland. But A few of my friends have alot riding on the years Eagles. Last week we put up our index fingers on the chopping block. This week we are putting up our right hands. And when they make it to the super bowl i would image we will probably be putting up some alittle dearer to us.....