The next four years

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Nov 3, 2004.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm making some predicitons.

We'll see a few things happen. Perhaps not all of these, but I'm sure we'll see at least one of the scarier ones.

1) Draft
    2) Use of nuclear weapons
    3) Social Security set up for bankruptcy and privatised
    4) Harden the ban against Canadian drug imports
    5) Denounce the UN
    6) Supreme Court stacked with neocons
    7) Abortion outlawed afterwards, Roe v. Wade reversed
    8) Stem cell research outlawed
    9) Ban on sexual education in schools
    10) Affirmative action and civil rights dismantled as much as possible
    11) Mid-decade redistricting to ensure future GOP control of Congress
    12) States begin to fold under the budget shortfalls. Major services cut or eliminated.
    13) Education slips and we fall further in international rank.
    14) Invade or bomb at least one more country
    15) Another recession
    16) School-led Christian prayer mandated in some areas
    17) FBI out of control
    18) DEA ignores Alaska's initiative to fully legalise marijuana
    19) More terrorism hits home

2. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

X means no way in hell.

The UN has no power anyways, it can't protect us in this hostile world, so its something that has some validity.

Affirmative Action sucks to begin with, you should get into college/work based on merit not race.

Invade or bomb at least one more country, quite possibly will happen.

A draft is NOT happening.

Nuclear weapons, their is a much smaller gap nowadays between 4th generation nuclear weaponry and traditional weaponry.

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My prediction is that even fewer people will listen or care what you predict.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Knowing you believe that so many of those things "can't' happen goes a long way towards explaining your vote for Bush. I don't see all of them happening... but Roe v Wade is going down, the SC is going to be stacked with neo-conservatives, and education will continue to slip (see "No Child Left Behind"). I also see that you are not bothered by declining civil rights. White male, right?

5. makisushi macrumors 6502

1) Draft Bush is against the reinstatement of the draft, so I don't think this will happen
    2) Use of nuclear weapons i don't know enough about his war tactics to comment
    3) Social Security set up for bankruptcy and privatised Privatisation is good. I want to have control on my own money
    4) Harden the ban against Canadian drug imports I am not sure how it can get much more strict
    5) Denounce the UN I don't about denouncing the UN, but you have to take care of the US interests first then worry about pleasing the rest of the world
    6) Supreme Court stacked with neocons very likely to happen
    7) Abortion outlawed afterwards, Roe v. Wade reversed also very likely to happen
    8) Stem cell research outlawed possible, but I also think that the US is not the only country capable of this type of research
    9) Ban on sexual education in schools I think schools are legislated on a state level, not sure if Bush can accomplish something like this.
    10) Affirmative action and civil rights dismantled as much as possible this is a tough one, but I think AA takes away the value working hard
    11) Mid-decade redistricting to ensure future GOP control of Congress Both parties are guilty of this
    12) States begin to fold under the budget shortfalls. Major services cut or eliminated.
    13) Education slips and we fall further in international rank. This can be attributed to many more things than who is president
    14) Invade or bomb at least one more country Hard to believe this would happen without justification
    15) Another recessionI don;t know enough about economics to comment
    16) School-led Christian prayer mandated in some areas again state legislation, not federal
    17) FBI out of controlthe FBI has been out of control long before Bush, Bush is taking steps to regain control
    18) DEA ignores Alaska's initiative to fully legalise marijuanaMaybe, but I think drugs illicit drugs are bad too.
    19) More terrorism hits home this is a hard one to predict, unless you know something we don't

I think the US has a bright future, and I am proud to be an American. I think it is wonderful that we are able to express our views.

6. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that Bush specifically is going to do all of the things I've listed, just that some of them are going to happen.

7. makisushi macrumors 6502

ahhh, I seemed to have missed that point in my sleepiness.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yup. I don't see a lot of realism in his views.

How on earth do you come up with that one? Where's the bright future? The rest of the world that thought we were nuts now has confirmation of that opinion. I'm hardly proud of that. How can Bush's fans be right and everybody else in the U.S. and the world be wrong?

9. makisushi macrumors 6502

Maybe I am just an optimist.
    I think that we need to take care of our own interests first, before we worry about what the rest of the world thinks. This isn't a popularity contest.
    It is hard to say who is right and who is wrong, that is why this election was so close. You can't please everyone all of the time.
    I am a Republican who voted for Bush, I am not very happy about how the war on Iraq is going, but I am more concerned with how domestic issues are going to be handled in the future.

10. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Yeah...If Kerry was elected!

11. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Feel free to add something to this thread anytime you're done trolling.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Spot on, my friend. In fact, I think I'm going to apply that same philosophy here in my neighborhood by having my dog go crap in my neighbor's yard so I don't have to clean it up. And I'll just blow my leaves out onto the street so I don't have to bag them. And just for good measure, I'll send my son over to beat up on the kids across the street since I've got a feeling they were planning to TP my yard this weekend.

If they start complaining, well f*ck 'em, I'll just go beat them up. It's not like I need to be friends with any of them anyway, weak-ass liberal pansies.

:rolleyes:

The problem with taking care of our own interests is that they often conflict with those of our world neighbors. Saying we can simply ignore what the world thinks is shortsighted.

13. makisushi macrumors 6502

Yes, you are right, but you also don't have to let your neighbors tell you what to do.

14. Zaid macrumors 6502

My set of predictions:

Politically
    1) Four more years of Bush will further alienate Europe and the US.
    2) As this gap widens, Britain will finally have to decide where she belongs, as one amongst equals in Europe or as the American lap dog.
    3) The increasing political alienation of the US and Europe should force Europe closer together so as to have more global influence and act as a counter point to US policy where it is not in European interests.
    4) China is probably going to become a lot more important politically. (This would have happened irrespective of who was in office)
    5) The US is going to be stuck in Iraq for a long time, either fixing the place up or far more likely propping up a friendly regime and leaving the country in a mess.
    6) Iran will probably be the next target. Though direct military intervention does not make logical sense as the US is heavily committed in Iraq.
    7) Europe will not get involved in Iraq on the principle of 'you made the mess, so you can clean it up'
    8) Increased arab animosity toward the US. Moderate Arabs are going to be unable to affect US policy toward the ME fuelling the rise in muslim fundamentalism, unless Europe becomes more vocal in the area and starts supporting Arab moderates.

Economically
    1) The $ will continue to weaken, partly in response to the ballooning trade and fiscal deficits and partly because the propping up of the dollar by East Asian banks is going to become untenable.
    2) A much weaker dollar will make the US a less important global market, and will boost US exporters.
    3) This will probably cause a worldwide economic downturn unless the Japanese or European economies pick up.
    4) Europe and Asia (the biggest owners of US debt) will probably stop picking up the US debt tab.

As for what happens inside the US, don't know and don't really care that much. You lot have given the right a mandate. (Giving Bush the popular vote in an election with the biggest turnout in 40 years, the presidency and a more republican congress and senate is giving them the mandate how ever you want to look at it) So clearly the US backs Bush and the right. You voted him in, you deserve what you get.

Oh one more prediction. An enormous increase in the number of American ex-pats around the world apologising for the actions of their fatherland.

15. Zaid macrumors 6502

Its not letting them tell you what to do, it's realising you can't tell them what to make for dinner at gun-point and still expect them to like you and that you can't just go bulldozing their homes so that you can use the bricks to build an extention

16. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Yah, BAD JUSTIFICATION.

The entire world knows that Afganistan was just- it was over Osama Bin Laden, that is why a whole slew of countries said lets stop this from happening again. In Iraq, it was not just, and is why many countries did not accompany the US. Even if they did find WMD's, it still would not have been just. I'm now frightened at what the next 4 years could entail if Bush does infact get re-elected.

17. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I hardly feel I am trolling. You make a stupid thread about stupid things that you predict will happen. If you want it in a better format, here you go...

I just thought my way of saying it would have been a little easier for you closed minded liberals...I guess I was wrong and shall spell everything out to you from now on.

But hey...I forgot...Bush pretty much won. So see you in 4 years, I guess,when it will be some new loon stepping up to the plate to run against Giuliani or someone....That is if you haven't moved to Canada by then.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What an American thing to say.

And that's the world's view on America, and that's where your problems lie. While its good to look after your countries best interest, it's also necessary to be considerate. That's the way it is in real life, when dealing with real people everyday. Or maybe it isn't where you come from? All I know is that country/political boundaries are just lines on a map, and since we live on the same Earth, we're going to have to co-exist and not piss each other off.

If that's your attitude, I'd hate to meet you in person.

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

No, but I should at least take into consideration their opinions. As a nation, we haven't done much of that lately.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[sarcasm] Take other people's views into consideration? I'm sorry, this is America. We don't do that. [/sarcasm]

21. makisushi macrumors 6502

Yes, I absolutly agree. I do understand that certain considerations should be taken when participating as a whole in society, but I also understand that sometimes an unpopular thing must be done to better the greater good (and this is where most disagreements happen).

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

Who's greater good? I think that most of the world believes that as Americans, we are only concerned about our greater good, not the greater good of all people.

Perhaps you have an example in mind of perpetuating the greater good, and how it has in the end worked out to the benefit of the rest of the world.

23. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

After this one I start to feel sorry for you...

24. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I am also very curious! :)

25. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I try to avoid this section of the forums, 'cause it's dominated by people who suffer the very problem they accuse america in general of having, arrogance of their rightness. In claiming that so many americans are ignoring their fellow americans and the rest of the world, and denigrating them for their beliefs, these hypocrites seem to be the real problem with america. It's unfortunate that some portions of the rest of the world are anti-american (and some portions of america), but the reality is that there are still many around the world who don't despise america. I'd like to agree to disagree on policy issues and such, but the rabid hate expressed by these hypocrites is where america is really most at danger.