The next generation of DoS attacks

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Aug 28, 2003.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Link.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, now that's going to cause real problem. Papers like this are just fantastic - why don't you go and tell the hackers what to attack next or how...:rolleyes:

D

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My thought exactly. "Here, we have found a great new way to take sites down without the need for masses of bandwidth, wanna know how? Here let me explain..." :rolleyes:

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes...

Lets Destroy those computers...

Slowly...

:eek:

What the hell... this takes all the hard work out of DoSing a person!

No more mass gathering to take the RIAA down?

:confused:

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't think you get it - its not about doing it slowly, its more like a stealthy approach that makes it very hard to find and counter. This is really serious and the effect would be the same as if it was a regular DoS attack.

D

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-edesignuk

I have a general problem with this releasing of information. The biggest problem is that I'm torn that it should or not. But in this particular case, it causes me to think it's similar to publishing information on a easy-to-build nuke out of matchsticks, a capacitor, firecrackers and that sphere of beryllium you just happen to have lying around.

This should be distributed to those who can solve the issue long before the public can get their hands on it.

It also reminds me of "Boy this stinks, here, take a whiff..."

7. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i guess it's a race...now that the info is out there for everyone, who will use it first - those who will use it to hack and those who will use it to patch?

8. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

I suppose the good side of letting all this out is hopefully it will drive IT folks to develop solutions to this problem.

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well they need to find out *how* to do this...

And see if it works on every OS and stuff.

I really don't understand how a lower powered version works...

:confused:

With normal ones you overwhelm the computer... with this... it seems different...

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

the grad students who write these papers probably don't mind that all too much...:D

They could also be hackers, living a double life, one as an academic hack and the other a real-world hacker...

That, or they'd like to have the satisfaction of saying, "Yep. My paper led to this massive attack! w00t!" (An impending PhD does not prevent the excessive and inappropriate use of the word w00t)

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MrMacman

Think of it analogous to a slow and steady pressure with a tip of a pen, rather than a deep and fast stab of a knife.

12. iDONTsteal macrumors newbie

Should?

As soon as we yield the power of what should be published to <insert power mongloid here>, we have begun our way down an even worse path.

Plus... copyrights allow the spread of information and ideas while protecting their <perhaps too long> profit potential...

There are certainly other examples... but.. information spread is good... in almost every case
    :eek: