The Next iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hellodon, Jun 8, 2006.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

So i've seen photoshopped designs galore...and heard stories and rumors and possible release dates...but is there anything that seems like it could be the next ipod and any idea when it's coming?

i'm about to buy 2 video ones..but i don't want to get them and then in a month something pops out of nowhere completely redesigned. Like, maybe something black and red with bono's autorgraph etched in it. Now THAT is something worth buying (pfft..hahahaa)

No really though...when's the next big apple even that may end up with a new ipod. i'd rather wait a bit but do you guys think that the current design is going to stick for a while....or do you think a touch screen one is on the way?

2. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

no one officially knows. only speculation:D

last year it was around the paris expo in september, and the months after. i think that that point is the best point for an update if there will be one. but as i said, no one knows for sure (unless you're working on it).

S

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If they're going to stick with the yearly update schedule, then probably much later this year - the nano came out in the weeks following the Paris Apple Expo and the 5G just a few weeks after that. It is widely speculated that the 5G iPod was due to be released at AEP but there was some sort of delay meaning the keynote was cancelled. I think the nano came to overshadow the ROKR debarcle.

However, Apple has in the past to issued new, higher priced models (the iPod photo arrived in October 2004 after the August?? 2004 arrival of the 4G iPod) and eventually merged the lines mid-last year after capacity upgrades etc.

Nobody really can say when a "new" iPod will come out - the U2 5G was a surprise announcement. But I think it will be a few more months at least until we see something brand-spanking new.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I predict a refresh to the line in the next month or so, but nothing major. Perhaps a capacity boost and/or a price drop on certain models. The next major update will not happen until the fall, and that is too long for Apple to wait without releasing any updates at all, so those are my thoughts. The major update in the fall will be the full screen touchscreen video iPod. :cool:

5. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what i'm hoping for. It's a much needed improvement..and highy desired after those photoshop mockups that circulated. for a minute i thought they were real and was very excited.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Those mock-ups themselves were not real, but that doesn't mean that the concept and design itself isn't. I'm fairly certain Apple has something quite similar in their labs which they are getting ready for release in the fall. :cool: