The next Legend of Zelda...

Discussion in 'Games' started by spencecb, Jan 19, 2007.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

What have you all heard about the next version of Zelda? I hear that it is supposed to undergo a major change.

There is an exclusive article about it on IGN's website, but it is for insiders only, of which I am not a member.

If anyone is, and would like to elaborate on what the article says, that would be fantastic.

Or if anyone has heard info from other sources, please feel free to post here.

Or simply discuss what you would like to see.

And, of course, I am talking about the next Zelda for the Wii, not in any other format.

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I think they need to make a first "Legend of Zleda" before they make a next one :D .

Seriously though, I wouldn't be suprised if the next zelda underwent a major change, maybe taking advantage of the wii controller system even more. I havn't played through TP yet, so I really can't say anything about improving on that system.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If anybody mentions online, they get a smack.

set it somewhere other than hyrule, no ganon, no triforce.
    Voice acting (expect Link)
    Bring back Midna.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

5. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

You might want to read the post before you comment...

:rolleyes:

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They havent done the island in the skies route ala skies of arcadia yet.

A hyrule set in the skies could be sweet.

7. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I think they should make a racing game, like Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing, or that Sonic one that was so good...

... :D

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nah, that's too much like WindWaker. TP's vast land is the way to go. Infact I think one of the reasons they went with the ocean route was the way they could sneak loading in.

I'd love a Zelda set in the future, or just an electronic age. The first 75% of the game is all murky and post-apocalyptic mess like, then you visit Hyrule of old and it's all beautiful.

I'm interested to see where they take the series now.
    Would actually be nice if they told the actual legend of Zelda. I don't think it's been mentioned in a decent Zelda game yet.

9. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

That is an interesting idea...could work. People would compare it to Final Fantasy, though.

Anyone read the IGN article that I was talking about?

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Man, I loved Skies of Arcadia. I want a next-gen sequel.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your not the only one. Loved Skies of Arcadia legends, One of the few 60 hour epics that I've actually bothered playing to the end. Most I give up halfway - losing interest.

A next gen version would be sweet - regardless of what format its on.

12. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

What's the beef behind this Skies of Arcadia game? I.e. what do you guys like about it so much? I've never seen it, but would like to know if it's something worth checking out.

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think a modern Zelda would be a cool ticket. Since Link and Zelda are suppose to be reincarnations or descendants. Link would have a car, and you'd have to "steal" the master sword which is in a museum. Doing so transports you to another realm or such where you get to do the "hookshot, arrow, sword wielding of yore."

14. therevolution macrumors 6502

The "Ford Epona" has a nice ring to it.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's a good-natured JRPG set in a world of floating continents, during a sort of Age of Exploration period. Basically the polar opposite of Final Fantasy's cyberpunk universes.

It's mostly notable for a huge overworld, pleasant character design, simple but engrossingly told story, a remarkably optimistic protagonist, and beautiful music composition (the orchestrated title theme is just achingly beautiful). It really harkens back to the simpler days of RPGs as opposed to falling into the modern trap of increasing complexity and angst. I'd say it's one of my favorite games of the past decade or so.

It originally released on the Dreamcast (where the primary complaint was the high rate of random battles) but was rereleased in a Director's Cut on the GameCube (where the primary complaint was tinny music quality compared to the original game).

It's worth picking up.

Wikipedia article here.

16. ictiosapiens macrumors regular

Maybe go the Mario way, and do a space Zelda... The goron planet, the zoras planet, etc... Could work...

17. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

The IGN Insider article is basically 2 pages on how Zelda has become predictable, nothing too special, you could probably guess everything that's covered in it in about 10 seconds.

Anyway, I can see one problem with a major redesign and that would be that people complain that they've strayed too far away from the formula e.g. The Legend of Zelda -> Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I think there are three serious options:

1) Stick to the formula and just tweak it. Yup, it's boring and predictable and could be risky.
    2) Equally risky is to move Zelda to a different genre. A Zelda strategy game or FPS anyone?
    3) Keep the third-person action scheme, but include several drastic changes, e.g. weapon sets, setting etc.
    4) This one isn't a serious one but everyone loves unexpected surprises. So why not make a comical Zelda spin-off? I'm sure there's a place for Bowser as the final boss in a totally unexpected twist :p

18. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

It seems like every time Nintendo has tried to go away from the proven formula, its been met with harsh criticism (Zelda II, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker). When they deliver the game those same critics have been clamoring for, its met with the "same old, same old" argument.

Honestly, I think with any established franchise, its going to be tough to please everyone. I think it will switch back and forth between same old and unwanted change as more and more games get released. I just hope Nintendo continues to the move the series along as they see fit. Zelda has been the most consistent series I've ever played. That's not to say I don't have criticisms, its just hard for me to find a game series that keeps me interested the same way Zelda has.

19. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Things I think should hapen in the next Zelda:

- More equipment. Customizable armor perhaps? And please more than two swords...
    - Have it connect with other Zelda games more. Zelda fans like myself love even the smallest connections. :)
    - Give Gannon a rest... how many times does he have to die?
    - Give Zelda her own game. Make it a side-scroller and call it Zelda's Adven... oh, wait...

And Zelda will NEVER become more "futuristic." Myamoto will make sure of that :)

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. Zelda was inspired by his own adventures in woods and stuff when he was a child. I don't think they'll change from that much.

you've got to be really careful with Zelda. it has the largest fanbase of any game, most popular adventure series etc etc. You're playing with a classic formula that needs a genius to do something new with it.

21. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I think Zelda should go SteamPunk rather than Final Fantasy's Cyberpunk. Actually, I think that having elements of the modern age like guns, trains, and airships but still having swords etc. would be a nice change for the LoZ franchise. Instead of a bow, for instance , Link could get a dueling pistol or rifle... Even if Link travels to the future or goes to a post apocalyptic world, as others have suggested, it could have a Steampunk theme.

Games like Final Fantasy Tactics and VI, Shining Force III, Legacy of Kain etc. all have Steampunk themes and I think that it would be just new enough to Zelda to make it fresh. I cannot however, see an all out futuristic Zelda game. It would just stray too far from the series roots IMO.

On another note, the next Zelda game must have voice acting (except Link) and a full orchestra. Also, a return to difficult boss battles woiuld be much appreciated by this gamer but I doubt that will happen as Nintendo doesn't want to frustrate less experienced gamers. Finally, the overworld in TP is really big but it still needs to be bigger (even if they have to use 2 or 3 DVDs). Think Norath big!

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. I've just reached the last part of the map. I must say it's big but I'd love a world that I would actually get lost in.

And Nintendo's thinking has always been not to punish players for doing something wrong. Though you still need some kind of negative feedback. TP is the best example of this - if you do something wrong then you usually find out the right thing on the 2nd go (for me it was one of the bosses and a bit where you have to hit a wall).
    Though I would love to see a harder Zelda. Master Quest hard.
    Or better still one that adapts to your game play. Staying one level ahead.

23. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

THAT would be awesome, i would love to play a game like that, but it would have to be done right. As indicated by a member above who believes Myamoto wouldn't let it happen, i'm not quite sure he would rule it out. I certainly believe he would not have wanted it when he created the series, but after so many iterations of the game, i think that he would be willing to take a risk like that and modernize Zelda. Who knows, but i know that would be freaking awesome ;)

24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

25. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

THAT has a 0% chance of ever happening.