Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I always though they should have two lines
a powerful 15" with quad core and 960M. a powerful 13" with a dGPU or at least a quad core.
thin macbooks but also in 14" and 15/16" sizes.
15" fits perfectly in most bags and offers significantly more screen real estate. They should kill the Airs and replace them with macbooks with 15W or Y CPUs and just bigger displays.

Reactions: CmdrLaForge

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I hardly read here that people are using 4 ports on the rMBP

Speak for yourself - still using a 17" MBP and I really appreciate the 3rd USB port...

and the HDMI port (which could shrink in size as well since there is microHDMI for quite a while).

microHDMI is likely to be obsoleted by USB-C + a displayport-to-hdmi dongle.

The real question is whether Apple are prepared to put more than two USB-C ports on the machine, or if they deem it too confusing to have some USB-C ports supporting Thunderbolt and others not. If you could have 4xUSB-C then (6 months/1 year down the line when more USB-C devices are available) that would be all you need. Well, maybe a SD slot (no point going micro-SD: too fiddly, and the real demand is from DSLR photographers who will still be using full-sized SD).

I think it's the other way around: MBA will merge with the rMB.

How would you tell? Either way, you end up with a 12" Surface Pro competitor, a 13" Ultrabook and a 15" Pro machine. What they're called is just marketing. The issue is that there's currently too little distinction between the 13" Ultrabook and the 13" Pro for both models to continue once the Pro shrinks a bit.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
I'm interested in buying a 13" rMBP next week, but I'm worried about purchasing it at the end of its design cycle. I recall Tim Cook saying that major hardware redesigns would be introduced in 2013-14 (I think), but it wasn't clear if this applied to Apple's notebook line. Can anyone comment on this?

Basically, I'm worried about purchasing a rMBP only to discover a major redesign next year. I don't want to be like that poor sucker who dropped $1.5k on a white macbook just before the aluminum unibody was released. Catch my drift? I don't care about minor spec bumps.

Speaking of which, what real-world improvements will Haswell bring? I thought of it as only a spec bump, but apparently others disagree? Truthfully, I've never noticed a difference based on processor speed, probably because I do simple stuff like movies, web, etc. I'm just hoping the graphics performance improves because that's the one area where the MB has always underwhelmed, even though I rarely play intensive games. My current machine could barely handled COD4 at medium.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

The next Macbook Pro redesign will probably look closer to the Macbook Air (maybe not as thin but not far), either adopt a darker closure or the ugly couch-potato choices (Space-Grey, Gold etc...), have a whole-new Force Keyboard and Trackpad (probably is coming to the Macbook too), fewer ports (as always with Apple, but these time being justified by Skylake's WiGig and WiDi compatibility), slightly more battery (again, as always, thanks to Intel), 4G/LTE compatibility and that's about it since Apple wouldn't go further with new update or products today.

Reactions: boston04and07

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Somehow I feel apple will be more conservative in the ports and retain it as 2 USB + 2 Thunderbolt, so it'll now be 2 USB Type C + 2 USB Type C w/ Thunderbolt (distinguished by having the thunderbolt symbol beside it).

Cause if they went the route of just 2, it'll create a lot of problems as some external monitor doesn't have extra ports, what if I want to use a corded mouse + external monitor + external hard drive all at once? Then Apple will unnecessarily crippling their most sold computer lineup.

And I always feel that they'll be conservative in the port change and instead use it as a marketing, perhaps something like the most extendable MacBooks ever in Apple history!

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
The issue is that there's currently too little distinction between the 13" Ultrabook and the 13" Pro for both models to continue once the Pro shrinks a bit.

With that I agree. Yesterday I've read the rumor that intel plans a third 14nm generation called kaby lake. There was also mention that the U-type would gain a quad-core option. Maybe there is still hope for the 13"-model to get more than two cores...

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
With that I agree. Yesterday I've read the rumor that intel plans a third 14nm generation called kaby lake. There was also mention that the U-type would gain a quad-core option. Maybe there is still hope for the 13"-model to get more than two cores...

Could not believe you when I read Kaby Lake, but actually true:
http://wccftech.com/intel-14nm-kaby...16-256-mb-edram-hseries-91w-kseries-unveiled/

http://www.techspot.com/news/61103-intel-10nm-cannonlake-delayed-replaced-14nm-kaby-lake.html

U-Type seems 2 cores?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Seems a pretty straight forward refresh. It just means they already don't expect to get 10nm running as soon as planned. Even though Intel said that they didn't have the same problems on 10nm that they had with 14nm. This clearly sounds like they do have some problems.
By that time TSMC will almost be ready with their so called 10nm process. Intel is loosing their lead.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
U-Type seems 2 cores?

I read the rumor on a german news site (heise). They suggested that U may have 4 cores. If the thermal management will be better than broadwell than this sounds realistic. Well lets wait and see. 4 cores would certainly be a good differentiation between a rMBP and a rMBA...

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I read the rumor on a german news site (heise). They suggested that U may have 4 cores. If the thermal management will be better than broadwell than this sounds realistic. Well lets wait and see. 4 cores would certainly be a good differentiation between a rMBP and a rMBA...
you have the link ?

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
The rMBP 15 uses quad-core CPUs. Intel is expected to release Broadwell quad-core CPUs in July, and we could see a rMBP 15 refresh at that time.

Apple is unlikely to release a completely new, redesigned MBP until Skylake, and Skylake is unlikely to ship in volume before January/February 2016. Thus, I suspect will we see the new designs about a year from now.

The keyboard from the new 12" MacBook sounded pretty cool in the keynote, but now, having tried it, I think it is horrific for performing actual work. Despite what Cook suggested, the feedback/feel on the new keyboard is not anywhere near as good as the feedback/feel on the 13/15" MBP keyboards. I sure hope Apple doesn't adopt that keyboard on the 2016 13" and 15" rMBP models.

I disagree concerning the feedback of the new keyboard but to each their own. I found it far more responsive and never had trouble hitting a key and not seeing a letter/digit appear as will occasionally happen on my MBPr with the old key design. As far as keyboard design goes though, Apple has it nailed like no one else. The large low profile chiclet design is heads above anything else on the market.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
You misread there is no mention of quad cores in the U series.
They say dual cores of the U/Y series and quad cores of the H series.
Though in any case Intel should make some. If there was more competition. Maybe at 10nm they will finally.
So far Kaby Lake looks like a very minor refresh.

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
I am ready to buy a new MacBook Pro Retina 15". Of course there are always news models going to be available soon after you buy so that's why I think it makes sense to buy the best spec I can to give it the longest shelf life. However the latest release is unappealing to me because the processor has not been upgraded.

Looking at the MacRumours buyers guide it reveals that the last 3 models have been released at 9 month intervals. As the most recent MacBook Pro was released in March this could mean a new model in December. None of know when the Skylake model will be released, but does anybody think it probable a new model could be released this year?

Failing that I'm seriously considering building (with help) a Skylake Hackintosh.

Reactions: Scotty141

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I am ready to buy a new MacBook Pro Retina 15". Of course there are always news models going to be available soon after you buy so that's why I think it makes sense to buy the best spec I can to give it the longest shelf life. However the latest release is unappealing to me because the processor has not been upgraded.

Looking at the MacRumours buyers guide it reveals that the last 3 models have been released at 9 month intervals. As the most recent MacBook Pro was released in March this could mean a new model in December. None of know when the Skylake model will be released, but does anybody think it probable a new model could be released this year?

Failing that I'm seriously considering building (with help) a Skylake Hackintosh.

Don't get hung up on update intervals, it has nothing to do with that. Apple will update the MBP the second Intel starts shipping the Skylake CPU's, which is expected to happen somewhere between Sep tember'15 - March '16.

You can't build a Skylake hackintosh unless Apple has first released such a computer and added the necessary support to OS X.

Reactions: Minxy

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
If they can make the redesigned rMBP 13 the same weight as a MBA 13, I'm all up for it. Dell's XPS 13 is actually lighter than the MacBook air at around 1.2KG so hopefully Apple can do it with the rMBP.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
If they can make the redesigned rMBP 13 the same weight as a MBA 13, I'm all up for it. Dell's XPS 13 is actually lighter than the MacBook air at around 1.2KG so hopefully Apple can do it with the rMBP.

Dell is using carbon fiber as main material which is significantly lighter than aluminium but has other downsides (e.g. it brakes more easily, has not good thermal properties). No, you don't want the next rMBP to weigh similar to the current MBA. Then we would have another bend gate...

Scotty141

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2015

I'm in this exact same situation. I like the look of what Skylake has to offer; not just the speed improvements but the new features such as wireless charging capabilities. Whether or not Apple will make use of this, it will still open the door for me to buy accessories that can make use of what Skylake has to offer. Its also time for Apple to do a redesign and I think now will be the chance with Skylake. I'll be with my next laptop for the long run so I want something future-proof and with longevity for the next 5 years or so

Does anybody have any opinions of whether I should wait or buy one now? And if I should buy one now, what would be the loss if I bought a custom one in September (all top specs) and then sold it next year when the Skylake models are out? I'm not in desperate need for a new laptop but my current MBP gets seriously hot from just using Firefox and watching a video, and when I use my video editing software it runs painfully slow.

Reactions: Minxy

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Apple might release a Broadwell or Skylake 15" MBP in September or October. Maybe. If they can't release it by about the end of October or maybe the first week of November, then it will have to wait until after Chinese New Year. Apple cannot risk a release during either major holiday shopping season. If it will be after the holidays, then it will definitely be Skylake, not Broadwell.

Reactions: Minxy and Pahanda

TRDGT4Writer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2014
Classified
Gotta disagree with dingdong. The reason they eliminated all but one port on the macbook was because of its use case - it's basically a glorified iPad pro. There is ample room on the MBP for more ports, and there should remain ample room even after a redesign. Apple kept firewire around for years, there was no reason to eliminate it, and there were many professionals who relied on it. It will be the same with the new MBP, they will probably see 2-3 USB C ports, along with a USB 3.1 A, HDMI, DP/Thunderbold port yada yada. There's no good reason to elimiate all the ports in favor of just a few USB-c ports.

That would actually hell since USB-C/USB3.1 is very new and rare. Flashdrives and external hard-drives would have be available now. If they redesign the exterior, I'll wait until everyone will be on USB-C, USB3.1, and Thunderbolt 3. I hope they don't make the thing (rMBP) any thinner. The MagSafe is the best invention yet and no PC has it which is why I switched. If they kill it, I might as well buy a PC workstation laptop with Windows 10....Ugh

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world

I just read the article and they state

. Lake Doppelkerne der TDP-Serien Y und U sowie Quad-Cores der H-Familie geben, allesamt zum Auflöten in Tablets, Notebooks oder kompakten Mini-PCs.

I can't see anywhere that u might be quad

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
Personal guesses:
  1. Thinner and lighter—through slight tapering (unlikely to be as thin as MacBook) / overall slight thinning
  2. USB-A ports kept but upgraded to USB 3.1
  3. Thunderbolt 2 ports upgraded to Thunderbolt 3 (which is compatible with USB-C)
  4. MagSafe kept but USB-C charging allowed
  5. Keyboard typeface changed to SF

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Personal guesses:
  1. Thinner and lighter—through slight tapering (unlikely to be as thin as MacBook) / overall slight thinning
  2. USB-A ports kept but upgraded to USB 3.1
  3. Thunderbolt 2 ports upgraded to Thunderbolt 3 (which is compatible with USB-C)
  4. MagSafe kept but USB-C charging allowed
  5. Keyboard typeface changed to SF
I personally would love to see the keyboard changed to lower case lettering, like the Chromebook Pixel. It makes so more sense than looking at caps under your fingers, but seeing lower case letters on the display. In fact, Apple has done this very thing in the coming iOS 9.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Does anybody have any opinions of whether I should wait or buy one now? And if I should buy one now, what would be the loss if I bought a custom one in September (all top specs) and then sold it next year when the Skylake models are out? I'm not in desperate need for a new laptop but my current MBP gets seriously hot from just using Firefox and watching a video, and when I use my video editing software it runs painfully slow.
After agonizing over this, I decided to buy the current model to get the advanced features (Force touch, battery life, super-speed SSD) I want NOW. I made this choice fully intending to skip the first version of the Skylake re-design, giving Apple time to work out the bugs which always accompany first editions. I'm pretty confident that my machine will have pretty good resale value by the time Skylake rMBP II two comes out. In the meantime, I get to enjoy using this beautiful and really powerful laptop!

Scotty141

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2015
After agonizing over this, I decided to buy the current model to get the advanced features (Force touch, battery life, super-speed SSD) I want NOW. I made this choice fully intending to skip the first version of the Skylake re-design, giving Apple time to work out the bugs which always accompany first editions. I'm pretty confident that my machine will have pretty good resale value by the time Skylake rMBP II two comes out. In the meantime, I get to enjoy using this beautiful and really powerful laptop!

Thanks for the info! Which model did you have before, and what's the difference in power in terms of using it? Also, what do you expect the depreciation to be? i.e. 10% per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.