Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What''s next

• Terrorist attack of 9-11 scale or greater

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Nuclear attack of Hiroshima scale or greater

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Natural disaster of Senshi province scale or greater

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Biochemical or viral epidemic

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Ecological (man induced or natural) disaster

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Bizarre scientific experiment disaster

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Asteroid/s or extra-planetary threat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alien invasion

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Insect spread disease

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I believe there will be a minor to major Extinction Level Event next

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other, will post it

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Was just watching the news about a fire at a chemical plant here in the UK and people are being told to stay indoors for their safety. That's pretty small, but goes to show anything can go wrong at any time.

What do you think the next big disaster will be? Man made or natural? Some vote options above, but Poll is made in haste so write down anything that's not included too..

big-impact-mass-extinction-10.jpg

shaunofdead-zombie.jpg

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
If our state and federal government get re-elected.

Asteroid collisions will not happen, just about every potential rock in space that is large enough to cause any thread and is in our neighbourhood is monitored and their path calculated.

So I'm gonna say, some form of animal-human viral transmission.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Full scale riots by Apple fanboys if the iPhone 4G doesn't contain every single feature they want.

Asteroid collisions will not happen, just about every potential rock in space that is large enough to cause any thread and is in our neighbourhood is monitored and their path calculated.

So what happens if we calculate that it's going to hit us? Send Bruce Willis up there? ;)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
The USA and South Korea deliver on their promise and kick arse/ass to the North big time. Missiles start - well, continue - flying while I'm here in Japan retreating to my Happy Place.

That's if I share the OP's optimism.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I'm thinking the big fault lines under the northeastern and western seaboards. If we had a biiiiig quake in either of those areas, much damage would result and people would be very poorly prepared - especially in the east.

Think that scene from 2012 where the earth just tilts over 45º and sliiiides into the sea.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I voted for other: The Yellowstone Supervolcano erupting, throwing us into an ice age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano

and of course, it would be John Terry's fault.

wouldn't that be a natural disaster?

on the same line, the largest undersea volcano in europe (Marsili) is active and, apparently, on the verge of erupting, which would cause a massive tsunami in the mediterranean sea.

Elixer

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
I'm guessing maybe a hurricane or an earthquake to be the next major disaster.

I'm secretly hoping for some kind of secret underground laboratory to accidently release the T-Virus into the population...

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I agree that I think its a safe bet that the next major disaster will be natural--like an earthquake or hurricane. The spin might be that perhaps it will occur in an unlikely place. A hurricane making direct landfall in NYC would be devastating as the city is too big to be evacuated and no one here is prepared--for anything really.

Some type of virus that decimates the earth human population just isn't going to happen. This has *never* occured in the history of the world. The plague and the 1918 flu were intense--but society did not collapse. Also, people were dirty pigs back then with no awareness of sanitation.

I keep hoping for a zombie apocalypse but every year I am disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.