The NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Any predictions for the first few picks of the NFL draft?

I must admit I'm surprised by the national media's sudden dislike of Aaron Rodgers considering that most of the San Francisco press seem convinced that he's the guy. The nationals seem to be going along with Smith's agent who, although not as bad as the Postons, isn't as keen on getting his players to camp as Rodgers'. The last thing that 'cheapskate' John York needs is for him to be seen as cheap again trying to sign his first round pick.

I've only seen Rodgers play and it wasn't his best game. 9 of 36 for 52 yards and an INT. Ouch! Still, it was early in the 2003 season so I'm willing to cut him some slack. Smith I only saw on highlights and in Utah's bowl game. There's a lot of 'potential' being talked about here as he becomes comfortable in a pro offense, which might mean he wouldn't be pressured to start as soon as Rodgers. And, let's face it, the Niners aren't about to become a Super Bowl challenger next year so there is time to learn.

With all the coy mumblings, potential trade talks and all the expert fluff about teams perhaps not making picks and letting their draft time slip a few slots, it should be interesting (for the first hour anyhow!). The last few years I've been in Germany watching NFL Europe on draft weekend so I'm looking forward to settling down with some beer to watch the draft this year. Thank goodness for NASN in the UK! (and it should take my mind over my feelings that I'm becoming a minority on this board since I haven't d/l or received my Tiger copy yet) ;)

2. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I dont typically follow the draft too much. Not sure why, just never got into it. I kind of passivly pay attention to it I guess.

But, my team, Miami actually has a high draft this year, so I've been watching more closely. They have so many holes I dont know where to start, but I think they'll end up with the Cadillac Williams or a QB. Since Smith will be gone, maybe they'll grab Rodgers.

Either way, I'm bracing myself for another couple years worth of 2-4 win seasons.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Now, I'm not a big football fan, but as a Cal alum, I saw Aaron Rodgers play quite a bit this last season. I think he's good, but is he a number 1 franchise quarterback. Would be such a huge upgrade over Tim Ratay. I don't think so. Even if he does turn out to be pretty good, it could take several years (like drew brees). Cosnidering the 49's are likely to suck this year too, I dunno why they don't go for someone who can make a real difference right away, like a running back or receiver.

4. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I think that there will still be a few trades done before the draft actually begins. I heard someone on the radio say that only about half of all the first round picks actually live up to their hype. I'll be watching the first round on TV.

Oh and Applespider, don't worry about not ordering Tiger yet. I haven't done it, and I don't know when I will. ;)

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

ok ..... I know exactly what will happen in the draft tomrrow ...

SPOiler SPACE

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    --
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    --
    -
    the bears will screw up their pick by taking a running back ... they need to grab mike williams if braylon is off the board.

6. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

The Bears need a running back and I wouldn't be unhappy if they draft one. That said, I don't think that they can go wrong by picking Williams or any of the top running backs.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'm not a ron turner fan, and i think thomas jones is a decent back maybe not the scheme but I think Williams is to good to pas up and he can learn from mushy.

8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Kwyjibo I couldn't agree more about the Bears pick. I don't think it would be the worst thing for them to take a running back, but it would be pretty close. The problem comes in on which receiver to draft, Edwards or Williams, assuming they're both there. I know Turner is high on Edwards but I think he is to similar to Muhammad. That's not a bad thing, but I think they need a different type of receiver and Williams is definitely different. I would love to see Williams in Chicago but with all the talk of a running back being selected, I'm not to sure.

9. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I also agree about not being a Ron Turner fan, but I'm willing to give him a chance. I think Thomas is a very good back and he should be able to fit in the offense as long as he stays healthy, which I think he should be able to do. The reason they have for drafting a running back is to have 2 backs incase Jones can't handle the load. I believe Adrian Peterson is capable of being a number 2 back, he played well when given the chance.

10. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

ESPN insider?

I'm just wondering if anyone here has an ESPN insider account that could post the updated scout reviews of the draft as I'm curious as to who they think the Bears will get.

11. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

NFL Draft

How did your teams do? I was glad to see fellow schoolmate Alex Smith go number 1.

12. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I was a little disappointed with the Bears selecting Cedric Benson but he could be a good fit. I'm still hoping they can pick up Heath Miller in the second or a pretty good receiver.

13. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

I think the biggest surprise so far is the Lions picking Mike Williams. Three first round receivers on one team? If they keep all three of them and don't try shopping Rogers, then that's one vertical offense. The question is whether Harrington or Garcia can actually get the ball to them. Harrington hasn't been wildly accurate and Garcia's arm has never been particularly strong.

I feel sorry for Rodgers dropping so far down the board on not a lot of evidence of major defects; I suspect as ESPN said it was more to do with 'need' than talent but I really did feel for him when they showed him sitting in the Green Room for hours. He looked like he was nearly holding back tears when he finally went out onto the stage. Given he said he'd grown up as a Niners fan, he probably also grew up loathing the Packers ;)

14. craigdawg macrumors 6502

The 49ers made a safe choice with Smith. He's big, smart, and has a good arm. I like him over Aaron Rogers even though I'm a huge Cal fan. Rodgers has the curse of Tedford to live with (Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Kyle Boller are all Tedford-influenced NFL QBs).

Hopefully they can keep him (Smith) upright and healthy. Still don't know who he'll throw the ball to because the 49ers receiving corps sucks. Unlike Detroit's now! I agree with the previous caller, Charles Rogers is the odd man out in that triumvirate. It's all about the Williamses.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So Maurice Clarett goes to the Broncos as the last pick of the third round. Must say that I found that as a big surprise.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

17. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Az-Hakim is actually the odd man out. I think there is concern about Rogers' health too. He's only played 5 games in two years. Also, Williams has the size to possibly move to TE in a few years. Williams will play the slot for now with Rogers and R. Williams split wide. They've also got Pollard at TE and Jones at RB who should get 1500 yards this year. if "Heatherington" stops checking-down and guns it, they could average 40/game.

After years (decades) of downright lousy football, I am at the stage where I'd rather see them lose 50-35 every game and not make the playoffs as opposed to losing 27-10 every game.

I think you take the best player available period. Kiper had Williams as #1 on his board. I have this feeling if Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Gibbs, Parcells, etc., were in the same position and made the same pick, all those ESPN "experts" would be just gushing over the selection.

18. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Agreed that Hakim is toast. They're not going to pay him $2m plus to sit as 4th or 5th receiver.

I agree with the 'best player available' argument but I was surprised when it was announced given the last two years' picks. Rogers has been unlucky but if he stays healthy, the Lions will be a lot of fun this year (too bad I made my pilgrimage last year to that dreadful Green Bay game!)

19. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I think this was a bad year for the 49ers to have the #1 pick for so many reasons. Matt Leinart would have been the hands down #1 if he came out. Instead we're "stuck" with Smith. True some of the best players were WRs, but the 49ers don't have a QB so they wouldn't have much of an impact. The 49ers needed a player who can make an impact now and oddly, the 6th best player (according to the experts) in the draft goes #1 because of it.

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I'm not really sure how I feel about the Packers Taking Rodgers. GB should work on that defense to try and make one more run with Farve, instead of worry about what they do without him. I don't they're anywhere close to making a run though.

21. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Was watching the draft in the locker room at the gym today. There were talking about Brady being taken in the 6th round years ago. They were also talking about some guy the 49ers took that year (3rd round) named Carmazzi and how Brady felt shunned because he grew up in the Bay Area.

I think Smith has potential. There were rumors here in Motown of a possible trade with the 49ers for their pick but it was just rumors. I think Braylon Edwards would have been a safer pick. The guy is electrifying. I'm would have liked to have seen him in a Bears uniform.

Jeez, how the 49ers have fallen in recent years. They got rid of Mooch because he couldn't get along with TO. Then they get rid of TO. This is a put-up year in Detroit for everyone - Mooch, Millen, Rogers, Harrington. I like the insurance policy in Garcia. Figure he will be inserted no later than Week 4 if they stumble out of the gates.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

A Scot starting a thread on the 2005 NFL Draft? You RULE!

Go Pats!

23. craigdawg macrumors 6502

QB wasn't a pressing need for the 49ers in 2000. Garcia made a couple of pro bowls. Gino (from Sactown by the way) was a Walsch favorite and I don't think too many people would have questioned him at the time.

I've always been a big Mariucci fan. He should be able to do some things with that offense! I guess it's all up to Harrington.

24. craigdawg macrumors 6502

QB wasn't a pressing need for the 49ers in 2000. Garcia made a couple of pro bowls. Gino (from Sactown by the way) was a Walsch favorite and I don't think too many people would have questioned him at the time.

I've always been a big Mariucci fan. He should be able to do some things with that offense! I guess it's all up to Harrington.