The NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by stubeeef, Mar 20, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    All right, if you're like me, you dread baseball season, and after March Madness there is the blight called NFL off-season.

I am a huge Panther fan, Charlotte for those not in the know.

With issues like, expanding instant replay, and free agents landing everywhere, how is your team doing, what do you expect to happen for your team in the fall of 2005?

Post your hopes and fears for the coming NFL year here.
  2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Panthers are gonna kick butt next season... heck, we ALMOST made the playoffs last season, and we had 14 guys on IR, including our #1, #2, and #3 RBs (Davis, Foster, Smart) and our most explosive WR (Smith). Our recent FA signings (Wahle, McCree, etc.) are really going to reinforce our weak spots (O-Line, secondary). Losing Muhsin Muhammad will hurt a bit, but he wasn't worth spending $10M on to keep around. Smith and Colbert and (hopefully) Proehl are all excellent WRs, so barring any more damn injuries, we should do just fine next season.
  3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I agree, in fact my conservative prediction is that the Panthers dominate the nfl for the next 40 years! :eek:
    I know that is conservative but I will admit at least one team will score a field goal on them this year, but only one, no TD's though. :p
  4. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm a 49ers fan with a soft spot for the Lions since they picked up Mooch 2 years ago.

Niners - it's all about the draft. I hate the number one pick - there are no excuses later. It looks like a toss up between Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers. The local favourite is Rodgers since he played just across the Bay but there's the 'Jeff Tedford college QBs don't do well in the NFL' jinx to consider. I'm also slightly biased since the last time I saw Cal play in person, Rodgers got pulled from the game since he was playing so poorly - given that was only his 3rd or 4th game in the system I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. The knock on Smith is his lack of familiarity with taking snaps and reading the defense from under centre rather than from the shotgun.
    Niners are in major rebuild mode - again. But it's been the most positive offseason for 3 years thanks to Donahue and Erickson not being around. Now if they could only can John York...

Lions - it's all about whether Harrington can actually be a franchise QB. They've paid him like one for 3 years and he's not shown much - let's hope he has a Drew Brees year in 2005. I don't think he's consistent enough and I can see Detroit taking a QB in the second/third round (not as much pressure on Joey as round 1 but some all the same) to groom a little since Garcia isn't a longterm answer. I could see Garcia taking over from Harrington at some point in the season. It shows how little faith Mooch had in McMahon that it didn't happen last year.

Panthers - I was in Texas for your Super Bowl and was rooting for you. Partly because of Jake Delhomme who we knew over in NFL Europe. I was amazed you did so well last year with the number of injuries you had. With Tampa struggling under the cap, the Saints not doing much to improve the roster, it's going to be between you and the Falcons although with another year to become comfortable in Mora's system, they too might be better next year.
  5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Applespider-very insightful post.

I was a big 49 fan till Charlotte got the franchise, looks like the timing was good for me. It was strange that the panthers seemed to have the 49ers number when they were in the same conference. When I was growing up I was a gig John Brody fan, strange he is not mentioned much anymore like so many others, he was great. I remember being a 49 fan when they were 1-13 or something like that in '79, then boom the greatest Joe Montana filled the NFL with awe!

I love Jake D, his enthusiam is contageous and lights the fires of so many team mates, he is the genuine article. It was funny he was #2 behind the rams X wonder kid. he called home saying that he didn't think he had it to be a pro cause he couldn't even start in europe! :p Well darn, he was #2 behind a future superbowl champ.
    I love the new heart of the panthers with Fox as the coach, he turned around a nfl gang of felons to a nfl team. I love sam mills too, man is he committed to excellence or what.
    I hate we lost MM but that's trade'n, he was a great reciever and will be missed. But I think there are alot of players that want to come and play for fox and catch the spirit that the panthers have now.
  6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    MUSHY is playin' for da bears, now if only we could find someone to throw to him ... and draft braylon edwards the bears are looking on the up and up but its the bears ...

peter king from cnnsi made one intersting point "chicago is where receivers go to die" and thats probably true ..
  7. stromie952 macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Buffalo Bills fan here

Lots of interesting stuff has happened to the Bills this offseason and more is sure to come.

First - Qb Drew Bledsoe got cut, signed with Parcells and the Cowboys and J.P. Losman gets the starting QB job. I am so excited about the change. We weren't going to get any better with Drew at the helm. I love him to death, but we need a more dynamic offence and a young QB with good speed and arm is a good start.

Second - Free agent losses

We lost 2 big time free agents in Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings. Jennings got overpaid at ~$6 million a year for a guy that almost never finishes a full season. Its a shame that Big Pat had to go, but he wanted $$ that we don;t have to give. I wish him good luck in the revamped Vikings D led by Ted Cottrell (favorite D coordinator, Bills '99).

Third - Free agent pickups

We picked up Kelly Holcomb for our backup b/c Shane Matthews is most likely going to retire. He also has the ability to come in and actually change the game unlike most backups. He can always light up a team for 400 and 3 tds like he did in Cleveland with less talent around him. We also picked up a new guard, Wayne Gandy (I think) from the Bears. Nothing spectacular, but we definitely needed the depth. We need to get a higher end lineman (tackle or guard) to fill out the line. Trey Teague (current center) could move to left tackle if we pick up a center in the draft (good year for centers apparently). Coy Wire (special teams and backup safety) has been resigned along with one of our TEs. So all in all pretty good here.

Fourth - Travis Henry

This is a bad situation to say the least. He doesn't want to be here anymore and we would like to give him his wishes while still getting something out of it. We had a potential trade for L.J. Shelton (LT) from the Cards but that fell through b/c Travis wanted a new contract when he was traded and the Cards wanted to wait a year before comitting. That along with the strength of the RB class in the draft and the availability of top tier backs (Edge and Shaun Alexander) for less than a first rd pick, Travis' value is dropping fast. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a lesser lineman in a trade or like a 3rd rd pick. Donanoe (GM) wanted a first in the beginning, but there is no way that happening now.

Fifth - Next Season

As with every season, I have great optimism for our hopes. J.P. has the potential to be a Doug Flutie like QB but with better size, arm and speed. He has all the tools to be a great QB, but only time will tell. I think the defense will be just as good this year since Big Pat only played 30 some odd percent of plays last year and we have a bunch of other tackles that were OK last year. McGahee is right at the top of RBs and we should have a strong running game again this year. Lee Evans was fantastic in the second half of last year and will be a great asset to J.P. this year. I think we should make the playoffs with a record of 10-6 with our D and the offense playing close to how it did in the second half of last year or better. I don't know about winning the division (lousy Pats!) but we should be able to push ahead of the Jets this year to get in position for one of the two wild card spots.

Sorry for the long length here, but I get long winded when talking about my Bills!
  8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    It is understood here!
  9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    What can I say about the Browns? They're making their third "new start" in the last seven seasons.

However, they have signed Phil Savage as Vice President and General Manager, and Romeo Crennel as Head Coach.

So far, Savage and Crennel have been making all the right moves by getting rid of deadwood like Gerard Warren, signing a quarterback that fits Crennel's plans like Trent Dilfer, bolstering the pathetic offensive line with Joe Andruzzi and Cosey Coleman, replacing cornerback Anthony Henry with Gary Baxter, and signing punter Kyle Richardson. None of these moves are going to put them in the Super Bowl this year, but they are a far sight better than what we saw in 2004, when the Browns were one of the doormats of the NFL.

Though people keep telling us we should be ecstatic about having Savage and Crennel guide this team -- and our heads tell us this is true -- our hearts are being cautiously optimistic. This was the same thing they told us about a couple of guys named Carmen Policy and Butch Davis...and we had every reason to believe them then, too.

Stromie: good luck with Kelly Holcomb. While here, he matched Tim Couch almost statistic-for-statistic -- but given Couch's mediocre performance, that's not saying much. Also, should Holcomb have to come in as backup, he seems to be able to go only three games or so without breaking a leg or something.
  10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, what can I say 'bout my 'Skins...

Ramsey is starting which is good (at least he can throw beyond 15yds...)
    Coles for Santana Moss may or may not be good.
    Portis will have a killer season if Ramsey and the wide-outs can generate a passing game (even a half-@ssed passing game will do).
    I hope the D can stay as dominant, but some strong players have been lost to free agency.
    Hopefully Gibbs & his coaches will go over the "do's" and "don'ts" of clock management.

All in all it's just another "hope for the best" off-season for 'Skins fans.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    As a Jet fan, I loved the deal. Moss is good but not a number 1 receiver. Will be nice having Coles back and hooking up with Pennington.

Sucks that the Jets lost Lamont Jordan and Karim McKenzie to free agency.
  12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Ugh the jets are bleeding people.

We pick up *anyone*

I mean we traded and we got a good replacement for lamont (why he leave anyway, ugh), but we are BLEEDING people, our roster is gonna blow :(
  13. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Dolphins fan here <shields face and looks down>. To keep it short and sweet; hardly any room to go down from last season, so I'm hoping for at least an 8-8 year, or at least close to it. No matter what, though I will burn my Dolphin jerseys if they let Ricky come back. I'd rather go 0-16 than have that back stabbing quiter on my team.
  14. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    I thought Grossman looked pretty good before he blew out his knee. Picking up Muhammed and throwing Terrell to the curb was a good move. Edwards is an electrifying player who would make an immediate impact.

The upside is the division is totally up for grabs. Any team can win it and go to the playoffs - GB, Minn, Chicago and even my Lions.

The acquisition of Garcia as insurance (read: to be given the starter's role in camp) will undoubtedly help. Having a healthy Charles Rogers to go along with Roy Williams will give Detroit a formidable passing attack. Couple that with Kevin Jones' 1000 yd rookie season and Detroit should not have problems moving the pigskin.

There are still gaps on the defense that can be filled via the draft and free agency.

Anything less than 9-7 is a failure. They need to give Harrington the hook. All this checking down merely pads the stats. And there have been rumblings since midway through last season that 90% of the players don't want to play for him.
  15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    give them a chance to trade him if they let him back before you burn anything but I could see if he stepped foot on a field in the dolphins uni .. he hasn't been in the news lately thankg god
  16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    Redskins fan here. Hoping to GOD that we don't have another heart-wrenching loss to the Cowboys this year.