The Nights of Neverwinter

Discussion in 'Games' started by 7on, Jul 15, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Ok... I thought I'd post this question here first. I have NWN (as should you all ;P), but I was wondering as to what should be a decent level to have when starting Ch2. I am a level 7 Sorceror and so far in Ch2 much of the enemies (even ones labeled as Easy) have been difficult). I've been getting around on harder villains by saving alot and casting Invisibility a lot (and letting my Henchmen/Summons battle for me). I was just wondering where I should be for experience. I am less than 1000XP away from a level 8 and I'm battling that mummy lord in that one crypt in the southern woods (near the O'Deels and such). I should be really close to 8 tomorrow though.

So any advise?

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Sorcerors take awhile to come into their own. They really kick ass once you get to the higher levels and you can cast a lot more spells before resting. Most sorcerors are kind of weak physically so they can't take a lot of punishment... I think their hit dice are d6? Maybe even d4. I wouldn't worry about it. You're doing fine--there's only so much experience that can be gained anyway. That's about where I was when I was at that point--only I had a monk, so I had an easier time with physical combat.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm almost to the end of Chapter 1 (I don't play it much) and I find myself saving and loading a lot with harder battles too. So it seems like it's normal for it to be tricky :)

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Just about any kind of magic based character is basically a twig at first. But once you gain levels they quickly become beheamoths. My suggestion is to take as many side quests as you can, and get a sturdy tank to take most of the beatings! :p

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Heh. I was thinking you were at the end of chapter 1... yeah, level eight sounds a bit low for chapter 2--that's where I was at the end of chapter 1. My advice? Take a whole lot of side-quests. Check at gamefaqs.com if you like to help you find some.

6. shortyjj macrumors regular

I'm mid-way through Chapter 3, level 14 or so Wizard, and he's not all that powerful - basically I'll cast all those enhancement spells (Stoneskin, etc) to make myself a glorified fighter-type.
    The damage-causing spells are mostly useless because my henchman will be in the mix just after the fighting starts, and magic-dispelling is almost useless as well as you battle very few mages in the game.

Quick question: does having a familiar summoned lessen the amount of experience you receive?

7. m.r.m. macrumors regular

i played it on the pc to long ago to remember, but make sure you've got enough levels when you reach the tanar'i-half dragon. :p
    (though i think that was in the expansion)
    actually, i was too high a level at that point. have fun struggling. once you reach really high levels the game becomes quite a bit more boring. i found it much nicer when you still had to be afraid of dying. i never took along the henchmen (don't believe in splitting the experience points :D). make sure you talk to them nonetheless every once in a while, to get those extra quests and experience points.

8. shortyjj macrumors regular

9. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

lol, accidentally Cmd+Q when I meant to Cmd+Tab, thus loosing my entire post I had typed up. So I'll summarize.

I'm at level 10. And I can't decided on either the Animate Dead spell or the Summon Creature V. The Animate Dead allows me to summon a Skeleton Chiefton but the SCV lets me summon a Dire Bear. The bear has a huge HP (102) over the Skeleton's measily 36. That would be enough to convince me, however the skeleton is also immune to a crap load of spells. He's also really intelligent. Dunno if intelligence is very factoring in battles though. Any help would be appreciated (especially if you know what I'll be up against). So far in Ch2 I've just freed Charwood, closed that portal for Wanev, and did that Creator ruins thing - so that's where I'm at. thanks.

Edit: I just checked the chieftan and he's immune to practically everything but elemental spells. I tried a screenshot, but I'm not at my desk and my laptop keyboard doesn't have an F13 key.

Attached Files:

10. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

I'd go with Summon Creature V. As a sorceror, you want to summon 'tanks' to take all the damage and dish it back out which is what the dire bear seems better at. As for whether intelligence affects your summoned creature's AI, it doesn't at all. In fact, Bioware's AI sucks for anything except melee combat. Personally, this is why I extremely dislike having any henchmen who are spellcasters; they end up in melee half the time or just stand there casting protection spells. There seems to be a few people on these boards who play NWN; is anyone interested in getting together and trying to create a module or such? While the Aurora Toolset doesn't exactly work in VPC 6, the next iteration of VPC supposedly has the necessary support and people do have access to a PC.

11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Personally, I would go with the Animate Dead spell--that guy would rock when in combat against some of the more difficult boss-type enemies, who frequently use lots of spells. That said, the Summon Creature V spell would work better when you're not facing one of those guys... tough call.

It'd be neat to get together with some MR folks and play NWN together, maybe group up on a public server, even. It'd be cool.

12. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

hehe, though I'd prolly end up a PC vs Mac brigade with the Mac users fighting the PC users ;P

13. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Ok, here's what I went with. I went with Animate Dead - but I kept my Summon creature IV in case the dead keeps dying. I also got rid of the phantasm killer, because frankly that has only worked on enemies rated at effortless. Chose Ice Storm to replace that.

14. shortyjj macrumors regular

Anybody fought the dragons in chapter 4? I'm trying to beat Klauth, and give my guys Endure Elements, Stoneskin, everything, and he'll usually kill them all with one of his fire attacks. Any suggestions?
    I read on a board that you can stand outside a door and hit him with arrows from afar, but only one in 20 or so of my arrows hits him, and not for very much damage. I have to beat him, as he has a Word of Power.

15. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Meh, I'm not there - but I'd thought I'd share my status. I'm level 11 now. And I swapped out my Animate Dead spell for the Summon Creature V when I leveled. Big Mistake. Even though the Bear has a huge HP, it's attack does relatively low damage. The Skeleton did a healthy 40+ hits most times he swung his sword, and usually nothing below the teens. Definitely I'll stick with the skeleton when I'm a level 12. I need some evil on my side anyway ;P

BTW, My journal has nothing in it unfinished but the Cult entry, Henchman, and Sharywn's Tale. I'm assuming it's safe to go into Luskin. I believe I've finished all the mini-quests. Oh, I also still have Solomon's ring. Any reason to keep it?

16. shortyjj macrumors regular

Cheating

Anybody know how to cheat, ie use the editor to raise your stats or gain experience? I absolutely positively cannot beat this dragon as is, and need at least some help. Otherwise I'll never finish.

17. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

18. shortyjj macrumors regular

I tried, but to no avail. I'm not a very good cheater.

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I just saw this on Apple's site.

NWN expansions

Not sure how old this is, but it looks like you can order the expansions now.

20. Tejedado macrumors newbie

Chapter 3

Help!!!

I had to reformat my computer and i was on Chapter 3!! Is there any way i can start the game from this spot??

Thanks

21. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

lol, I leveled to 12 not too long ago (got a GameCube 2 days ago, so I haven't really played NWN since then). Well, I was in that one dead wizard's thing (with the 3 seals in the Luskan docks). Anyhoo I leveled right before meeting the fallen hero. So I, like I stated, went with the Animate Dead spell. What is funny though, is that the Fallen Hero has a spell to banish the dead or something. I think it was Turn Dead. Anyway, After instantly killing my summon like 3 times in a row I just started running around a pillar while the Fallen Hero and his goons chased me. It was pretty funny to say the least. Anyway I'm now in Kurth's Lair. And almost finished with that too. Though I'll probably be playing a little more Spiderman 2. I mean it's freakin Spiderman!!!!