The Nintendo DS Lite FAQ Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by .Andy, Jun 20, 2006.

1. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So you're interest is piqued in a DS lite? Thinking of getting one? Well this is the thread for you!

[​IMG]

The Hardware Itself
    The DS lite was released in Japan on the 2nd March 2006. It was available in three different colours – crystal white, ice blue, and enamel navy. Subsequently the white version was released in Australia on 1st June 1st, and Canada and the United States on 11th June. The European release will include both a white and black version on June 23rd. There is currently no word on when additional colours will appear in different countries. As of 29th June a pink DS lite has been released in Japan.

[​IMG]

The main improvements over the original DS include a smaller form factor, brighter screens, a larger stylus, and improved battery life. One of the enticements for many is a much-lauded aesthetic overhaul. You be the judge….

[​IMG]

There are three very good video reviews made by Cabel from 'shockingly good' mac software available on youtube. Well worth watching - Video 1, video 2, and video 3. The reviews include a good comparison between the original and the lite as well as some practical lite tips. Here's BrianSalts' Macrumors Review and RaggedJimmi's Black DS lite photo 56k killer thread.

What Comes With the DSlite?
    This varies from country to country. The common basic package includes a DSlite, two stylus, and a wall charger. Australia received a trial version of brain training, and in Japan a wrist strap was included that has been omitted on other continents. It's well worth shopping around for the best deal as some retailers are including a free game or doing attractive bundle deals.

[​IMG]

Screens
    The DS lite consists of 2 LCD screens with the lower being touch-sensitive. There are four brightness settings with the brightness of the original DS equalling setting 2. Nintendo apparently has a zero dead-pixel policy on the DS lites and generally most retailers will honour this. If not it's best to contact Nintendo directly in your country.

Screen protectors are a good prophylactic against scratches. Your stylus is unlikely to scratch the screen although any dust/grit entering the equation can lead to undesirable results. Hori (Nintendo officially authorised) screen protectors come highly recommended due to their lack of adhesive which can leave a residue with other products.

Battery
    The battery included with the DS comes partially charged and you can play it straight out of the box if you're a renegade. Arguably it is better to fully charge the battery first (as recommended by Nintendo). The DSlite will achieve 5 – 8 hours gameplay on the highest brightness, and 15 – 19 hours on the lowest setting. The battery takes on average 3 hours to charge, longer if you simultaneously play it whilst charging. Following an initial full-charge/full discharge cycle you are free to recharge your system at you whim. Nintendo's battery FAQ can be found Here.

Connectivity
    *Playing games over the Nintendo Wifi connection is completely free - There are no subscription or access fees to play*. All you need is a compatible wireless router and access through a normal ISP. There are also plenty of free hotspots which can be found at the Nintendo wireless page link below. The DSlite supports 802.11b/g wireless networking with an appropriate router such as Apple's airport express. Nintendo also maket their own USB wireless router although it is NOT Mac compatable at this point. Alternatively you can use your Apple Airport Card as a wifi DS access point, as outlined in this MacOSXHints has a walkthrough here.

Unfortunately at this stage the DSlite only supports WEP security. More information on compatable routers, free Wifi hotspots, and configuration guides can be found at http://www.nintendowifi.com/. Nintendo have also stated on the record that the DS will also be able to connect with the Wii when it is released. How this will be implemented is unknown at this stage.

You're also be able to wireless communicate locally up to a range of about 10 meters (30 feet). Many games are local multiplayer with one cartridge, which makes random meetings with DSlite weilders on public transport a pleasure. This feature is also leveraged with DS download stations at retailers where users can obtain trial versions of games.

[​IMG]

Backwards Compatability
    The DS lite plays all GBA games, but does not support gameboy or gameboy colour games. With the smaller form factor of the DSlite, GBA cartridges protrude from the unit slightly. This is also true for the rumble packs. As with the original DS there are two distinct slots so you can have a DS and a GBA game in the machine at the same time. The DSlite also comes with a colour-matched dust cover to protect the GBA slot and contacts when not in use.

Importing/Region Restrictions
    There is no restriction on the importation of the machines (or games). There DS uses no region encoding of any kind, and you are able to toggle between languages (for the DS operating system) via the main menu when you first boot up and personalise your machine.

The included power supply does vary with the configuration of the domestic sockets of the country of origin, so you may have to pick up an additional wall-charger or a third-party USB charger if importing.

Accessories
    *Cases*. There are quite a number of Nintendo and third party cases available. It's a worthy investment to retain the luster of your DS as it has a finish similar to the G4 ibooks and iPods. This Macrumors thread outlines a few.

*Rumble Packs*. There are a couple of Nintendo brand rumble-packs available for the DS lite which can be purchased seperately or may come bundled with supporting games such as Metroid Pinball. The original DS rumble pack will fit the DSlite, although it will protrude in a similar manner to a GBA cartridge. Recently a smaller DSlite rumble pack has been released that fits flush with the DSlite, although take note that it isn't colour coded to your DSlite. Although fairly effective (for its size) the rumble pack is a fairly noisy addition. Games supporting the rumble feature are still scarce (detailed in second post) although hopefully in the future more titles will incorporate it.

*Play-Yan Micro*. Got PSP multi-media envy? Well you can play MPEG4 video and MP3 files on your DSlite with the Play-Yan micro. This product is marketed by Nintendo in Japan and surprisingly hasn't had a release elsewhere. It is also compatible with the Gamboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, and Gameboy Micro if you've a larger handheld Nintendo family. You'll need the Play-Yan micro, an SD media card, and conversion software to use it, the details of which you can find in ddrueckhammer's posts here and here.

Is it Better Than the PSP?
    It may be better for some, it may not be for others. Not everyone likes tofu. It's a personal choice. There's a thread here if you feel the need to expound one machine's features over another.

[​IMG]

2. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

What, you want Games?
    Games are of course a tricky recomendation due to personal preference. Remember that DS games have no DRM and no regional protection so you are free to import them from where you wish. There are some fantastic exporters of games (and accessories) with web stores such as Play-Asia and Lik-Sang which are both reputable and (relatively) quick with deliveries. So don't feel you need to keep yourself restricted to local brick-and-mortar stores. If importing just make sure that the game has an english/dialect-of-choice language option.

Lately there has also been the first pirated games showing up on ebay. These games are really an inferior quality and you may have trouble saving your game. If going the ebay route make sure you buy from a reputable seller and are assured of the games authenticity.

For a list of Macrumor's friend codes for games see Raggedjimmi's thread here.

Highest rating DS games on metacritic (alphabetical order);

Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    Animal Crossing: Wild World (wifi) - Macrumors thread and BurtonCCC's Macrumors meet up thread
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Mario Kart DS (wifi) - Macrumors MK Racing League
    Metroid Prime: Hunters (wifi)(rrrrumble) Macrumors Metroid Friend's codes.
    New Super Mario Bros Macrumors thread
    Tetris (wifi) - Macrumors Friend's Code thread - currently brief!
    Macrumors Essential DS games thread can be found here.

[​IMG]

Noteables that are worth further investigation (alphabetical Order);

Brain Age / Brain Training - Macrumors thread
    Electroplankton - YouTube vids
    Kirby: Canvas Curse
    Mario 64 DS - Macrumors thread
    Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (rrrrumble)
    Metroid Prime Pinball (rrrrumble)
    Nintendogs
    Ouendan - Macrumors thead and YouTube vids
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Thread)
    Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
    Rub Rabbits
    Sonic Rush
    Super Princess Peach
    Trauma Center: Under the Knife
    Warioware: Touched!

[​IMG]

Upcoming Games to keep an eye out for (alphabetical Order);

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    Children of Mana
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Elite Beat Force
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    Kirby DS
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    Maple Story
    Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
    Mario 3 on 3 Hoops (wifi)
    Opera Web Browser
    Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
    Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (wifi)
    Yoshi's Island 2
    Starfox Command

[​IMG]

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Thanks for taking your time in making the thread, informative and will come in handy when it needs to be linked :)

4. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

My pleasure DeSnousa :). Let me know if there's anything I've left out or any other threads I've missed linking in the OP. Hopefully this thread will help us from duplicating too many DS threads. There's some top info getting posted by people that's getting lost with time.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed...can the mod place all the other threads about the DS lite in this one except the "Got a DS lite" thread.....these threads are poping up everywhere.

Bless

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

7. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

They better not because I started it!! lol jk ;) .. I agree good job .Andy very, very good information. I smell a sticky...(hopefully)..

8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Very nice FAQ, .Andy! Appreciate the links to game related threads on MR. Again, well done. :)

9. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I thought it worth mentioning that I bought some Hori DS screen protectors/filters, and they did not fit my DS Lite screens. The top screen filter was actually a little too big for the DS Lite. I think this is because the DS Lite has smaller borders around each screen than the original Nintendo DS.

Just a heads up for you guys.

10. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

Where these the Hori one's made specificaly for the ds lite sethypoo? I've not heard of this problem. Mine actually fitted well and I was much happier than with my cheap one's for my DS. My personal beef would be the protector of the bottom screen could be larger and cover the whole screen and not just the viewable area. I'll edit that bit out of the OP is they make some that are sub par though.

p.s. glad you guys like the thread :). I reckon GLPraxis should do us a similar Wii thread considering he's the only one of us to have played one....;)

11. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Thanks for the information. I've been convinced to spring for one- I don't want a heavy console to bring to college :) I'll wait until the end of summer though :)

12. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Wow, I bought a two pack screen protector for my DS Lite and never noticed there were specific ones for each screen. I only put one the bottom screen, I don't see too much happening to the top screen. I apparently put the top screen protector on my bottom screen and haven't had a problem, I don't think the material is different, maybe the size. It also leaves an extra for when my girlfriend ends up getting her own DS Lite because she plays mine too much ;).

13. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

Awesome thread! Except it makes me want a DS Lite even MORE.

... I guess that's not a bad thing.:D

14. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

You might also want to include that the Play-Yan Micro works with the DS Lite.

This official Nintendo accessory, currently available only as an import from Japan, plugs into the GBA cartridge slot in the DS Lite and allows playback of music and video content stored on a SD memory card.

There is a forum dedicated to this device on the Lik-Sang.com forums.

I have researched this device and it is my understanding that only the splash screen is in Japanese so it should be useable for non-Japanese speakers.

Since SD cards are used to store the data, only a memory card reader is needed to transfer data to the device and the cards mount like any drive. It plays back MPEG4 & MP3 video/audio files so content can be converted using FFMPEGX and iTunes or your favorite video/audio conversion tool. There is however, a program called:

iPlay-Yan

That allows files to be copied from iTunes playlists through an interface.

This is a really nice accessory for any Gameboy product with a GBA slot. Hopefully, Nintendo begins selling it in other markets outside Japan soon.

While IMO this isn't a replacement for an iPod, since there aren't currently any flash based video iPods with touch screen functionality, it is an alternative...

15. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

Thanks for the summary ddrueckhammer I'll definitely add it :). I've actually done a fair bit of research as I'm going to get one of these myself from Lik-sang. I'd love it if they could produce a DSlite version that doesn't protrude from the GBA slot, although using SD cards I think they're probably quite restricted in how small they can go.

16. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

NP! I too wish they would produce a DS Lite version hopefully in white to match in the US (maybe too much to hope for).

One more thing...

Here is a link to the official SD card support page from Nintendo for the Play-Yan Micro:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/play_yan_micro/subwin2/index.html

You will notice that the ATP AF2GBSD is the only 2 Gb card that is currently supported. The cheapest I could find it is $75 from ecost.com

There are also a few third-party media players that support the Moonshell app on the DS such as the: GBA Movie Player, M3, and Datatel Max Media player but I figured you would want to stick with the official Nintendo accesories for the FAQ...Also, none of them seem to have the overall quality of the Play-Yan. They are just alternative for people looking for something cheaper or who are interested in homebrew...

Haha you have almost the same electronics as I do...I'm trading my 12" Pbook for an iMac though and using my DS Lite for mobile web browsing when the Opera brower comes out if all goes according to plan...I wish google spreadsheet and future online productivity apps would support Opera...This would make the DS into a full scale PDA...

17. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

Pink DS lite

A pink DS lite has been announced for Japan;

[​IMG]

You can pick it up on import from the usual websites. It appears to be going for $US179 if you're keen.....

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye you'd have to be "keen" to want one of them.

good FAQ. top stuff!

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Umm yea....:confused: ...well it looks better than the light blue

Bless

20. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

You guys are so out of touch with the kids these days :p!

Pink is the new black.....

21. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

hey guys i just got mine tonight, it arrived in the mail while i was at work. It is the greatest thing ive ever played with :)

however. i do have one stuck red pixel on the left side of the top screen. i dont really notice it much on mario bros. but when the screen goes to black it is glaringly obvious.

any idea if i should just ignore it? or should i send it back in? and since i did not buy it from a store ( however i was the first to open it ) who should i send it to?

22. BrianSalts macrumors regular

23. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you're in the US AGoglanian I'd give Nintendo a call. That's if it's annoying you.... I'm not sure what they'll say if you don't have a receipt/proof of purchase though. From most reports They do seem to be fairly liberal so it's worth a try.

p.s. Sorry BrianSalts I meant to link your Macrumor's thread in the OP. I'll do it now...

24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I wish I could figure out how to set my DS for connectivity. I had a look at the nintendo website but I can't follow the instructions

25. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

What router you using viccles?