The Nintendo Wii will only have a lifespan of 1 year

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac000, Oct 20, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

It appears a company Fusion is making technology that is a whole lot better than the technology Nintendo is using in their upcoming console Wii.

Although the concept of Fusion is similar to the Wii-mote the technology inside is very different indeed: rather than using infra-red sensors, which are only accurate when the transmitter points in the direction of the receiver, the Fusion uses cutting-edge ultrasonic technology, combined with a tilt sensor in the handle, to provide accurate 3D tracking no matter where the wand is positioned -IGN

http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/10202006/07/nintendo_wii_controller_clone_to_ps3_xbox_360

1. Will the Wii have the same "era" as the Dreamcast?

2. Why couldn't nintendo patent their idea somehow to prevent this from happening? Anyone would rather play a xbox360/ps3 with added bonus of the Wii remote.

3. We watch and see if the Wii will take off like the DS, if it does - there is a good chance the two big player Sony and Microsoft will jump on this technology and steal Nintendo thunder leaving them behind again.

4. I'm sure nintendo knows that this was/is going to happen, they MUST have something else very unique up their sleeve to set them over the top, no?

2. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

please rename your post. It's clearly a lame attempt to get people to read this nonsense.

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    1. Most likely
    2. Because the patent only covered the technology that was used in the Wii's remote, and not all other frequency response technologies.
    3. Again, most likely. However, if you look at additional controllers, such as guns, cameras, wheels, flight sticks, etc. They have a limited life on any console. Most people don't buy these items because it comes down to that less than 10 titles will ever support them.
    4. Probably not. Nintendo is no longer the mega-giant that they once were. While it's true they still sell very well, a lot of people have turned their backs on them, both publishers and customers, because of various reasons. Nintendo is happy where they're at. If they weren't, they would have completely rebuilt the Wii from the ground up and actually included things that they promised at one time.

4. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

what do you mean by "...actually included things that they promised at one time"

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Interesting, but I have yet to see an optional third party peripheral get widespread support from game developers. Most often, each attempt only end up being supported by 1-3 games. Only time will tell.

I'm curious to see the final version. The bundled technology in the initial prototype often takes a dive when times come to mass market it for a decent price.

P.S.: I agree that the thread title is a little misleading and inflamatory ;)

6. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

The truth of the matter is, unlike the Wii where the motion sensing it included and is part of the experience. This is nothing more than a peripheral that will unlikely see any widespread support. The generation after is a whole other ball game, but for right now the Wii is here to stay.

7. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

What's to say Nintendo won't license this technology? The advantage of this technology is *how* it detects tilt, position, etc. Why couldn't a Wii controller be based on this technology? It would just have to send the information on tilt, position, etc. to the Wii in the protocol that Wii understands..

I, for one, will definitely be a Wii early adopter. This article does nothing to dissuade me.

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

DVD playback, region-free games, wifi, HD....

9. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

The Wii has WiFi.

10. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Yeah, curses to Nintendo for taking out the wifi feature!

Oh, wait....

:rolleyes:

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

I don't think HD was ever touted as a feature, and region-free was a slip up by one of the people. There never was an official announcement that it was going to be region-free that I recall, it was a slip from one of the execs.

I'll give you the DVD playback.

12. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

1. If you think sun/light interference is bad, how could a sonic/ultrasonic system be disrupted? By playing the game too loudly?

2. Nintendo has a shipping product; these guys have demo units very far from that (see point #1).

Most importantly,

3. Nintendo has a one-size-fits all controller that can be used in pretty much any game - the launch titles include swords, sports, guns, and driving. Have you seen a picture of this supposed alternative? Yeah, I really want 6 or 7 different controllers depending on the type of game I play.

...Further thoughts on seeing more screenshots and the tennis demo video:

- The racket looks really big - so big that I'd rather just play tennis. Compare that to Wii controller.

- The interface itself is maybe twice as big as a Wii.

- At the beginning of the tennis video, despite the vaunted (in print) responsiveness, the game seems noticeably laggy to controller inputs.

- In the middle of the game, responsiveness is better, but it doesn't look like you actually see the racket onscreen - just a Batman-style "crash!" when you hit the ball. Without a visual one-to-one correspondance, this is nothing more than a button press triggered by swinging (which Nintendo gets roasted for, but with more to literally show for it).

After viewing this, I call crap. Don't see how this justifies the glowing article or apocalyptic headlines of Nintendo's demise.

13. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

This doesn't mean Nintendo can't eventually adopt this technology and code games to support both. Does it?

Who plays from behind their couch, anyway? Well besides the people in the Wii promo videos...

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't think it was theres to begin with to patent the sensing thing. Other companies like MS had done something and Sony(don't kill me) was working on the sixaxis for a while so..

I also agree about people not wanting to play video games in the kitchen whiles the tv is in the living room.

Bless

15. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

When was HD ever promised?

16. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

I snipped the rest, but let me just say one thing: It isn't better, just different.

Ultrasonic positioning is NOT a new concept. And I doubt 'cutting-edge' means anything important in this case. Ultrasonic is still line-of-sight transmission. Anything and their dog can easily block or reflect an ultrasonic signal, tainting the readings.

Most likely, they found a way to minimize the noise from reflection, although blocked signals are still likely to pose some issues depending on the frequency. Most ultra-sonic systems to date require transmitters or receivers in 4 locations to reduce error in readings, and are more expensive to produce.

We could produce 2 sensor bars for the cost of /one/ ultra-sonic transciever, and this would require at least 3 transcievers, one even more specialized than the other two.

17. insaner macrumors newbie

1. Will the Wii have the same "era" as the Dreamcast?

Highly doubtful that Nintendo would suffer the same fate. Nintendo is a very profitable company, every generation they have profited more than the competition even with the Gamecube (although it came in #3) and they have in the range of $8 billion USD in reserves that they can use up for another generation if they wanted too.

Dreamcast had too many issues such as a limited $100 mil budget and no EA support (Wii obviously has EA's support). Third-Parties including Ubisoft are flocking to the Wii, realizing its potential.

The worst Wii will do is come in third place with more market share than Gamecube and that is because Nintendo fans will continue to play online games like Super Smash Bros. (one of the most anticipated titles in the next-gen) and support the popular franchises. Nintendo in many ways is the Apple of the gaming industry, period.

2. Why couldn't nintendo patent their idea somehow to prevent this from happening? Anyone would rather play a xbox360/ps3 with added bonus of the Wii remote.

I'm sure they have patented it obviously, but the issue is not that someone is copying it but the fact that the Wii's controller is the primary controller of the console. This wand device from In2Games is a third-party controller, sure it offers opportunities for ports but gamers WILL have to buy the controller first in order to enjoy a Wii port. The real question is will third-parties really support the concept for other platforms?

3. We watch and see if the Wii will take off like the DS, if it does - there is a good chance the two big player Sony and Microsoft will jump on this technology and steal Nintendo thunder leaving them behind again.

That is what would happen in the next-next generation, Sony and Microsoft have there primary controllers as of now and that isn't going to change. If they wanted too, they could have stole its thunder already but it's too late for that. Nintendo is hoping to recapture market share so that in the next-next generation they can compete in the HD/Graphics area.

4. I'm sure nintendo knows that this was/is going to happen, they MUST have something else very unique up their sleeve to set them over the top, no?

Again it's all about primary and third-party controllers...besides Nintendo said they wanted this concept to be the standard, so here are the third-parties!

18. white89gt macrumors regular

In response to the original poster's comments about his/her expected short lifespan of the Wii all I've got to say is two words.........virtual console. If all the Wii was ever going to be was a machine to run the virtual console feature, I'd still buy it....twice! Just to be able to play all the old games again without having to have each system and the cartridge or CD is worth it without all the other stuff that the Wii is going to be able to do. Now top that off with some of the most inventive and creative thinking in recent gaming history and you've got yourself the proverbial blockbuster.

Furthermore, Microsoft and Sony will try to "steal Nintendo's thunder" with a "wiimote" of their own, yet the 360 is only a year old and the ps3 isn't even out yet. They've already gotten their first-party and the early 3rd party game suppliers locked into a traditional style controller, and their ability to transition to a newer style controller is inhibited by it. It'll be their next-gen systems that will make primary use of any wiimote copy, not their present offerings. By then Nintendo will have laid claim to the throne and everyone else will be copycats just catching up while Nintendo is releasing their next big step in gaming. The short of it is, love 'em or hate 'em, they beat everyone else to the punch.

19. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

grammar lesson:

too = 'as well', 'also'

to = preposition, or first part of the infinitive form of a verb: They went to the lake to swim. Or in insaner's case, "they have in the range of $8 billion USD in reserves that they can use up for another generation if they wanted to." or "If they wanted to"

two = number 2

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

1 min left. this is BS. no Zelda or good games for it? looks like that thing is the DC. better tech and worst games

21. jlcharles macrumors 6502

The Nintendo Power Glove used ultra-sonic positioning sensors. They've already used that technology before (15-20 years ago so it isn't exactly new or cutting edge) and decided on something different. I guess they must have had a reason not to use the same positioning technology from experience.

22. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

this is biased nonsence... the wii is going to kill... a large majority of people who have benn polled for what next gen system theyre going to buy, it has been the wii

23. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

1. obviously, unless anyone here has a time machine; none of us can say for certain; but given the wiis momentum right now, I would say that is an extremely unlikely outcome.

2. if this is a different method of motion sensing, then it doesn't fall under nintendos patent. "Anyone would rather play a xbox360/ps3 with added bonus of the Wii remote." not true in the least bit. the Wii will have the controller for all games; the virtual console, the price, the nindendo exclusives (zelda, metroid etc...), and if this forum is any indication; a boatload of fanboys. a wiimote style controller for 360/PS3 would certainly hurt sales of wiis, but people who will buy a wii wont immediately jump ship the second sony or microsoft get there hands on something similar.

3. there is a good chance that the wii will take off like the ds, and there is an equally good chance that sony and microsoft will do something to try and compete with the motion sensing controller. (heck, sony already has) how much that would hurt wii sales remains to be seen.

4. I think at this point, the secrets are done. we basically know what needs to be known about the wii now, and we can just wait and see what happens.

Ok, this coming from someone who is a sony fanboy(for the most part)? :rolleyes:

ok, do you want to tell me when those things were "promised"? aside of course, from the wifi, which the wii DOES have.

saying they may include dvd playback does not constitute a promise, and one executive making an almost instantly corrected false statement regarding region encoding does not constitute going back on a promise either.

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

This coming from someone who obviously isn't involved enough in these forums to know just how much bashing of every console I've done. 360, PS3, Wii, doesn't matter, I point out the BS when it comes. So you can take that little allegation of yours and stick it where it belongs.

Why do you think the Wii is based on the same tech the GC was? Because Nintendo didn't want to push out a 4-600 dollar console. It's years old technology that those who already own a GC have. Hell, even raggedJimmi points this out and is the main reason he's not buying one now. The only additions to this console are backward compatibility and a new remote. Hardly seems fair to those who want the console, doesn't it? But Nintendo doesn't care, their happy with where they are (which is making profits on the units and not losses, like MS or Sony) which is why the Wii is what it is and nothing more.

So the Wii has wifi. Big deal, my mistake. Where's the DVD playback? something that would have cost them nearly nothing to implement. It's not there. HD is not there. Where's the region-free game play? The more you put into a console the more the end user gets out of it. Not everyone wants or has room for 3 consoles and a DVD player.

25. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

You have my vote for the best post in this thread.

By the way, isn't it grammatically improper to end a sentence with the word "to?" In other words, don't say, "who do we deliver the flower to?", but rather, "To whom do we deliver this flower?"