The Not Official MacRumor Political Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by numediaman, Apr 20, 2004.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I thought I'd start a thread where you come up with your own Opinion Poll.

I think a good rule should be that you do not have to give a long answer -- only a series of "yes" and "no" answers. The reason for this is that every question can have its own thread. In addition to telling us how you responded, you could also debate the merits of the questions themselves.

So, to start things off, I have come up with a twelve question poll. Each question can be answered as yes or no. You then count up the number of "yes" answers and it gives you a result.

If you like, you can respond with your own poll, as well as give your "yes" total for any of the polls in the thread.

Well, here goes:

War & Terrorism
    1) Do you believe there are WMD still in Iraq waiting to be found?
    2) Do you believe the war in Iraq is an extension of the "War on Terrorism"?

Economy & Taxes
    1) Do you believe the Bush tax cuts were good for the economy?
    2) Do you believe the tax cuts were fair?
    3) Do you believe the economy is better today than when Bush took office?

Social Issues
    1) Are you against "on demand" abortion?
    2) Are you in favor of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman?
    3) Are you for allowing school prayer?
    4) Do you believe that regulating firearms is in violation of the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights?

Attitudes & Beliefs
    1) Do you agree with this statement: "generally, the media has a liberal bias"?
    2) Do you agree with this statement: "evolution is an unproven theory that should not be taught to the exclusion of creationism"?
    3) Do you agree with this statement: "thanks to George W. Bush America is safer and more secure"?​

EDIT: The moderator needs to change the name of this thread. I didn't mean to make is sound like an "official" MacRumor thread. Oops.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

wmd?...no
    extension of war on terrorism...no

tax cut good...yes
    tax cut fair...no
    better economy now...no

on demand abortion...no
    bush const. marriage amend....no
    allow school prayer...yes
    regulate firearms...yes

media=liberal...yes
    evolution to be taught exclusively...no
    usa more secure...yes

so for the issues i cannot be labeled as a liberal or conservative right down the line and for your rather long list, i would find it surprising if any person went completely down the line of the questions in a totally liberal or totally conservative fashion without some reservations

i am pro choice, but i do not consider abortion a casual form of birth control

i believe in god and school prayer, but do not wish the state to mandate religious education in all public schools

the media is generally liberal, but talk radio tends to be more conservative

evolution is the truth for the most part, but that does not mean schools should ban the story of creationism...it's the first chapter in islam, judaism, and christianity

btw...great thread and poll

4. numediaman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for changing the thread name.

By the way, here are some of the questions I rejected:

Attitudes:
    1) Do you agree with the following statement: "do you believe the TV show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is an attempt to make gays (or straights) look bad"?
    2) Do you believe a constitutional amendment should be adopted to officially changing the name of the "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries"?
    3) Do you believe it is wrong for a Republican to eat quiche?
    4) Do you believe Democrats should shut up about clean air and just hold their breath?

I don't know, maybe these are better than the ones I used.

5. jzieske macrumors regular

Yes to all of the 12 original questions. Plus a BIG yes to this one. I am getting sick of listening to people blaming everything on SUV's and pollution. Of course I am living in one of the most leftists states in the country so what should I expect to hear.

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    War & Terrorism
    1) No
    2) No

Economy & Taxes
    1) No way
    2) No way
    3) No, but recovery seems likely.

Social Issues
    1) N/A, dont know enough
    2) NO
    3) No for Public schools, Yes for all others.
    4) Yes, but only up to a point (ie, rocket launchers, grenades, etc)
    project i just finished.
    [​IMG]

Attitudes & Beliefs
    1) Depends on the outlet.
    2) Both should be taught.
    3) HELLz No.

[hr]
    jzieske, what color is your sky? :D
    Ill bet it's not the brownish orange we have... ;)

7. jzieske macrumors regular

I'll give you that but the way the liberals around here talk the would make you think that the sky is falling.

8. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

You do realize this is irrelevant, don't you? It's the Belgian who invented them, not the French. If the term 'French Fries' bothers you ( :rolleyes: ), why not revert to the English term 'chips', and revert your chips to the 'proper' term 'crisps'? :p :p :p

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the past few days has marked an era of goodwill in these forums. please save your sweeping generalizations for somewhere else.

10. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i dont agree with activists on either side exaggerating situations, but when you're a kid out for morning recess or lunch recess, then hearing the bell and the announcement that a Stage 3 Smog alert has been issued, and that you need to sit in the auditorium instead of being outside playing kickball, it does change what you think of pollution in general.

that's what shaped my thinking, and will probably stick with me for life.

11. numediaman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I've corrected my post (fry to fries).

Love the Belgians -- they've given me my favorite band (bet no one can guess their name), and the waffle (though a web site says it was the Greeks, oh well).

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

War & Terrorism
    1) Do you believe there are WMD still in Iraq waiting to be found? (laughs)
    2) Do you believe the war in Iraq is an extension of the "War on Terrorism"? (laughs even harder)

Economy & Taxes
    1) Do you believe the Bush tax cuts were good for the economy? (falls on floor)
    2) Do you believe the tax cuts were fair? (cries)
    3) Do you believe the economy is better today than when Bush took office? (Cries Harder)

Social Issues
    1) Are you against "on demand" abortion? Not sure what that means
    2) Are you in favor of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman? :rolleyes: The amending process should be saved for issues that are government related, not religious
    3) Are you for allowing school prayer? No one ever stopped me. Oh, public prayer in school? No, I'm against public prayer, so was Jesus.
    4) Do you believe that regulating firearms is in violation of the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights? Nope.

Attitudes & Beliefs
    I wish...
    2) Do you agree with this statement: "evolution is an unproven theory that should not be taught to the exclusion of creationism"? Creation is a statement of religious faith. Evolution is the best explanation we have for what is out there. Creation stories can be taught during History/Social Studies, Evolution taught during science.
    3) Do you agree with this statement: "thanks to George W. Bush America is safer and more secure"?(looks over shoulder for crazy person with gun) umm, no.

13. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

1) No
    2)No, I believe the war in Iraq is the first few stages of the attempted implementation of Armageddon and the second coming of christ.
    1) Not sure, don't live there, don't really care a huge amount.
    2) Probably not as the rich can afford to pay taxes.
    3)from what I've heard No.
    1)I'm pro-choice because I believe the soul of an unborn child is not actually part of the fetus or embryo and only joins the body some point after or during birth. I'll have to get back to you on that one.
    2)Of course not, it is just about the most unjust thing going on in America at the moment.
    3)People should be allowed to pray in school but prayer is something that should be done privately and is between you and god. so being given a prayer to read is pointless
    4) No because guns are different now. Also, even though I am all for maximising freedom I am against anything that you can do that causes harm to others. A gun has only one purpose, to harm others.
    1) Maybe but from what I saw of your media during the Iraq war it was anything but liberal. And if there is a liberal bias, fox news makes up for it in rightness and in size. There's no point in having a liberal media if most of the people watch the one station that isn't liberal.
    2) Disagree completely, creationism should only taught as part of any bible studies that might be going on.
    3) No purely for the reason that so many people in the world now hate America because they hate that 1 guy so much. I'm serious, even people who are very conservative think he is a complete bafoon.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

War & Terrorism

Yes.

We will eventually find trace/residual amounts of something. It will not, however, be enough to threaten the US or Britain.

No.

Economy & Taxes

No.

No.

No.

Social Issues

Yes. I am personally opposed to the practice of abortion but realise that you cannot void or interfere with a decision that has been made between a woman and her doctor.

2) Are you in favor of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman?

No.

No.

4) Do you believe that regulating firearms is in violation of the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights?

No.

Attitudes & Beliefs

No.

2) Do you agree with this statement: "evolution is an unproven theory that should not be taught to the exclusion of creationism"?

Yes. I am against the outright exclusion of any theories from an academic setting. I would say I feel more strongly about this statement in reverse though (since I live in an area where creation is being taught to the exclusion of evolution)

3) Do you agree with this statement: "thanks to George W. Bush America is safer and more secure"?

No.

15. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

YYYYY YNYN Y No but shouldn't exclude creationism let people make up their own minds and they can best do that if they know more not less. And finally Not really. Bush isn't the one who put us in danger and while he removed some threats I don't think we are anymore safer than we were.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

No on all, with the possible exception of 1 per pseudobrit's point.

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

War & Terrorism
    no, and I don't think that the bush administration believed it one year ago, either

no, unless you mean that it will extend the lenght of the war on terrorism, which it will unfortunately do (by a decade or more)

Economy & Taxes
    No, but they might have been ok if implemented more honestly and especially if not coupled to other disastrous economic provisions (such as, you guessed, the war in iraq)

NO

in general, no, but there are some who are doing better

Social Issues
    This one is tricky. In my view it is always, to some extent, an act of egoism, but I think it can be legitimate. So, I'm generally pro-choice, especially for therapeutic abortion, cases when the health of the mother is in danger, rape and similar situations. It shouldn't become a family planning tool. I would also add that I don't think that the day-after pill equiparates to an abortion, and that I find being against contraceptives criminal and being anti-abortion and simultaneously pro-death penalty schizophrenic

please...

Not in public schools

I don't think that regulation per se is a violation of the second amendment. The extent of the regulation allowable is a matter of dicussion/interpretation. I believe they should regulated to a much larger extent than they are now and even Desertrat couldn't convince me to the contrary (although he did have some interesting arguments)

Attitudes & Beliefs
    some of the media pursue an agenda, most of the media follow the current political climate, very few are independent. The US is a quite conservative country (compared to the rest of the world), so most of the media tend to be conservative (especially the mainstream ones).
    Because a large part of the population is ultraconservative, to them the media appears (and is) liberal. It's a matter of perspective. To me they have a significant conservative bias

Evolution should be thought in science classes.
    Creationism should be discussed, on par with the other cosmogonies (greek/roman, mesoamerican, japanese, chinese, hinduist, egyptian, sumerian and so on) in history lectures about ancient mithology

3) Do you agree with this statement: "thanks to George W. Bush America is safer and more secure"?
    Probably after afghanistan it was (although at the cost of civil liberties), certainly not after iraq or after the last turns with the israeli-palestinian conflict

18. numediaman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can see now that at least two of the questions are not written well.

I used the term "on demand" because that was how it used to be called.

The evolution question should have been written as: Do you agree with this statement: "evolution is an unproven theory that should not be taught as having more validity than other theories including creationism"?

Oh well, it was a first try. Why doesn't someone else give it a try?

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

War & Terrorism
    1) Do you believe there are WMD still in Iraq waiting to be found? Not tons of nerve gas nor boxcars of anthrax. However, I don't doubt there was a knowledge base. Any country with the facilities to make pesticides can make nerve gas. Any country with any sort of serious medical facilities can make anthrax-type stuff.

2) Do you believe the war in Iraq is an extension of the "War on Terrorism"? To a relatively minor extent. There are other countries which have more active in support of Al Qaida. However, if one regards the WOT as a many-year effort, achieving the Bush goal in Iraq might better enable other efforts. (But that's a guess.)

Economy & Taxes
    1) Do you believe the Bush tax cuts were good for the economy? Retail store numbers said "Yes".
    2) Do you believe the tax cuts were fair? As fair as any across-the-board cuts can ever be.
    3) Do you believe the economy is better today than when Bush took office? No, but the dip began before he took office. And, it's probably gonna take a dive before long, no matter who's in office.

Social Issues
    1) Are you against "on demand" abortion? Adult women? Between them and their "significant others" and their doctors.
    2) Are you in favor of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman? No.
    3) Are you for allowing school prayer? Sure. Didn't hurt me; I wuz ogling girls.
    4) Do you believe that regulating firearms is in violation of the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights? Not entirely; see the Anti-Federalist Papers, but I think many laws do violate the 2nd.

Attitudes & Beliefs
    1) Do you agree with this statement: "generally, the media has a liberal bias"? Yeah, as I've stated before.
    2) Do you agree with this statement: "evolution is an unproven theory that should not be taught to the exclusion of creationism"? No, but then I don't have a lot of use for "Creationism". (To the limited extent that I understand what is meant.)
    3) Do you agree with this statement: "thanks to George W. Bush America is safer and more secure"? No, but not much to anybody else, either. About the only useful thing I know of is that limited part of the Patriot Act II which speaks to removal of "The Wall" between the CIA, et al, and the FBI. I think whomever got elected in 2000 would have pushed for more money into airport security and more money into staff for anti-terrorist inspections at ports or border crossings.

'Rat

20. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

1) Yes (see my post "If The Bush Administration Lied About WMD, So Did These People ")
    2) To an extent. I believe that Iraq did and most likely would have harbored terrorists had we not gone to war.

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) No, but I don't place the blame on the economy on Bush, and I do believe it's recovering

1) Yes. If you get knocked up when you didn't plan to, and it wasn't rape, that's your fault. If not as many people had unprotected sex, then we wouldn't have more children than we can afford. That way, women who are rape victims can chose to have their child put up for adoption, where there would probably be more people willing to adopt, or they could chose an abortion if their life was in danger or other extreme circumstances.
    2) Mixed. Religiously, I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. I also believe that the tax benefits for married couples is there to make it easier to raise a family. I have no problem with gay people having relationships, and becoming partners, but when it comes to raising children, I believe we should have some sort of moral standards.
    3) Mixed. I have nothing against prayers in school, but I know that some people are offended, and that instead of being politically correct and recognizing all religions the same, it would be a good idea to keep the practice of religion out of school curriculum or activities. I still believe that students can pray on their own, or in groups of people who decide to. They do have freedom of speech.
    4) Mostly no, but part of me says yes. I do believe that owning guns should be a right we should have. I think restricting gun ownership for everyone is a bad idea. I know people with several guns, and a gun dealer. These people are responsible people, and collect guns as a hobby. They shouldn't have to pay for the mistakes of others.

1.) Yes ( here's why - although I know that most people here would probably disregard the article because of it's source, the numbers presented paint a good picture of the political bias in our media)
    2) No
    3) I might not say we're safer, but I will say that we are no more unsafe. Bush's foreign policy has just brought all of the anti-US groups out of the woodwork. They were there before, but now they're more exposed, which is why they seem to be more of a threat.

I liked this poll. It really helps to understand everyone's positions on different topics...

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

1. Perhaps...I say this because most countries have the capabilities to produce chemical and biological weapons, but I doubt that they are in Iraq now (in large quantaties)...either way, kinda irrelevant as my problem with the US assertion for war was that they would pose a threat to the US, which I feel is patently false.
    2. Theoretically yes (as I am sure some terrorists have been/would be within Iraqs borders). However, hardly the most dire threat...and it seems that Iraq is now much more likely to harbor terrorists...so excellent self-fufilling prophecy...
    1. In the short run yes...in the long run no.
    2. No. If they were, they would've been presented more clearly to the public.
    3. Yes, but not necessarily because of Bush...economic cycles do not pay attention to partisan politics...I will say that another administration might have done a better job...However, with ballooning deficits, Bush has ensured that FUTURE economies will have some problems.
    1. May just be dodging a bullet, but I believe that is an issue between an adult woman, her partner and a doctor...so no comment.
    2. NO...such things do NOT belong in the Constitution...I believe that the state should recognize ONLY civil-unions (for straight and gay couples) and that if you want a marriage you get a separate ceremony recognized only by your Church..
    3. Not really...but I think it is a little overboard to strike ANY religious reference from school...leave it up to individual communities to decide...
    4. Do not know enough about the issue...do think we have the right to have guns, but armor-piercing, cyanide-tipped bullets?...maybe not.
    1. Depends on your perspective...if you are conservative...yes, if you are a liberal...no. All owned by conglomerates anyway, so it is almost beside the point...
    2.I think both have their place...present both (in the proper context), let people decide...however, if you do teach creationism, you might as well allow prayer...
    3. NO. This administrations arrogance has ensured that...

As has been said before...great idea for a thread Numediaman...thanks

22. vwcruisn macrumors regular

Im sorry but i just dont understand how someone can be so against somebody thats trying to clean up the air that YOU breathe. My god what is wrong with people these days :confused:

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think it's something to do with the air they're breathing.... :rolleyes: