The NSA gets to keep it's evil ways.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Jul 24, 2013.

1. macrumors Core

MacNut

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/backers-surveillance-program-battle-challenge

2. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sad, but no surprise. I'm pretty sure even if it had passed Obama would have tried vetoing it and making them pass another bill without the amendment.

3. macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Shocked there hasn't been more public outrage and outcry over the whole mess. That's the scary part ... too many people just trying to make a living to pay attention to what's going on out there.

4. macrumors 601

Technarchy

Anyone who thinks there is a "good" political party would be smart to re-read this bit.

Check how your rep. voted and boot their ass in the next election. Tell your friends and family they are advocates for violating the privacy of the American people.

People talk about the slippery slope. We'll guess what, you're skiing on it already.

5. macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Definitely! We're gonna primary these biotches!

The effing neocons rearing their ugly heads again. They were the most effective damage that the Democrats could have ever hoped to visit on the Republican Party, a real Trojan Horse op.

Still given all the dirt that the NSA likely has on each and every member of Congress, I'm surprised the bill got as far as it did. And as Mr. Kramer said, no way Obummer was going to let that live.

>

6. macrumors 603

mrkramer

If anyone is interested in seeing how their rep voted you can see here. I was glad to see that my rep voted for the amendment, I usually disagree with him on most things, but here he did the right thing.

7. macrumors regular

This just gets added to the list of reason I want my rep out of office. Beside being one of the bat **** crazy tea party guys.

8. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

"Evil" is a bit hyperbolic.

But at least congress has had it's say.

If you don't like the way your representative voted, you at least have some recourse.

My guy (Dem.) voted against.

9. macrumors 68020

localoid

10. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Sounds to me as if it needs to end up there.

11. macrumors 601

Technarchy

My rep voted for the amendment as well.

I think it's hilarious that Bachman and Pelosi agree that spying on the American people is a good thing...Kinda crazy since they are supposed to be on opposite sides of the spectrum...

Or maybe they are all in the same "good ol boy" club, and everything else is political theater for the stupid.

----------

Lately, I'm not so sure that is a consolation.

12. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

What the NSA is doing is seedy and I would say a part of the evil government machine. They are not doing it for good that's for sure.

13. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Well it's not helping to feed the hungry and clothe the poor, if that's what you mean.

14. macrumors 68020

localoid

Few would argue that deep packet inspection is shining example of works of mercy.

15. macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I would think that the Tea Party guys would have been less likely to vote against limiting the NSA.

>

16. macrumors regular

Either why the guy is a bat **** crazy tea party guy. Who has even said that he does not care about anyone unless they votes for him.

17. macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Your rep (Dem.) voted against the challenge as did my rep (Dem.) - he's definitely not my guy - or did he vote for the challenge and thus against the spying program?

>

----------

Perhaps more telling are those who did not vote (like McCarthy), who may have known and believed that it was wrong to vote no, or (more likely) thought it would be politically dangerous to vote no in their district, but were persuaded to abstain so that the measure would fail.

Those are your real politicos who deserve being primaried.

>

----------

That just makes him a (rather poor) politician, and has nothing to do with the Tea Party.

>

18. macrumors 6502a

I feel the same way about my Rep. Even though he voted YES he is a nut job liberal and needs to go.

19. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In the middle of drafting a nasty email to her as she's my Congresswoman. She's a one issue politician who is completely ineffective.

20. macrumors regular

While it is true that makes him a poor politician the sad part is his attitude is the norm for the GOP at this point and that goes double for the Tea Partiers as they only care more about their primary voters so they care about an even smaller subset of their district.

21. macrumors 601

Technarchy

Not a very good tea party type to be voting against protecting the privacy of people. Who are we talking about? I'm curious about their overall voting record now.

22. satcomer, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

macrumors 601

satcomer

I am disappointed. I would like a printout on how voted to continue this practice. I think I would vote for the representative who voted to continue the spying in the name of "security". The people who voted to continue this should be voted out of office.:mad:

23. macrumors 6502

lannister80

DPI? I thought this whole kerfuffle was over keeping American cellphone call metadata (who calls who, at what time, etc).

24. macrumors 68030

It's a start. The fact that the vote was actually close is cause for celebration.

This isn't over yet. It's only been in the news for a few months now.

25. macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Why shocked? The majority of the American people accept the program as a necessary evil. We are not fools.