The number of PowerBook vs. iBook threads

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Floop, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Floop macrumors regular

Doesn't this tell people something - that the two computers are so close in specification that people are having a hard time choosing between them.

There seems to be about 10 posts on this topic every day.

PowerBooks should be kicka$$. They have floundered at their current speed for 9 months, and the PowerBook and iBook lines have never been closer in terms of specification, I would say.

Apple REALLY need to update the PowerBook line, and SOON, to make a clear distinction for why people should pay more for the PowerBook.

2 weeks ago I was hoping MWSF would bring new PowerBooks, but with the recent rumours including nothing on thie front... I'm concerned.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

And you just added one more ;)

I do see your point though, but I think the choise is easier than ever: get the iBook, its so much cheaper than the the pBook and is basically the same computer (until the pBook is updated).

3. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

At appleinsider they are saying that apple will releasing

-12" 1.5Ghz
    -15"/17" 1.7Ghz (technicly 1.667ghz)
    Better Graphics Cards in all models
    G5 PBooks by the second half of 2005

See here Apple Insider

4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

There is still a performance gap in between the 2 computers and a few Pro features that make the powerbook more attractive ..

5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I agree that there really needs to be an update to the powerbooks. A friend of mine owns a powerbook 12" and I have a 12" 1.2GHz iBook and there is VERY LITTLE performance difference. However, I am going to have to return my iBook and get a powerbook because i NEED hardware supported DVI video out. I did not think this through when I bought the iBook.

I hope they update the powerbooks soon, but even if they do will we actually be able to get any? I am having flashbacks to what happened with the iPod Mini.... oh well only time will tell. However, as it stands now really only freatures like monitor spanning and hardware supported clamshell mode and a larger graphics card make the clear distinction... that and superdrive support on a 12" laptop. :rolleyes:

6. TrumanApple macrumors member

The real issue...

is the price of the current powerbooks... They are still fine machines but they have a terrible price/performance ratio. Usually the system of wating for an update every 6-8 months works, but the people who need the FEW advantages of the powerbook are paying for it (to the tune of 600 dollars, 450 with edu discounts). THe problem is not witth the ibook getting better, its with the powerbooks lack of improvement. My complaint is why does apple think that every revision has to be a major change... if the chips arent ready then try this...

12" 1499... 1699 with superdrive
    1.33 ghz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR memory (1 module)
    128 MB vram
    80GB 5400 rpm hard drive
    combo drive
    everything else the same

Then on the 15 and 17 inch models keep the same processor speeds...
    and bump the ram up to either 512+256 or 512+512 as the standard... also make the 128mb vram standard... then lower the prices by 200 dollars...

With those changes, which we KNOW they can do now because they are BTO options, then the powerbook would remain more attractive than the ibook by quite a bit, and the price difference wouldnt be too great...

Remember that the powerbook is not only competeing with the ibook, but also other companies and ( :eek: ) windows machines...

on an interesting note, the new pentium Ms are scheduled to be available the first half of this year... probibly 2.1 2.2 2.3 and 2.4 ghz pentium M... now that would kick any g4s ass out of the water....

my overall point is that the powerbook is no longer living up to its name, but, with some increases in features and lowering of the price, it can once again become attractive in the price/perfocmance ratio compared to ibook and other machines...

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You have a good point. The PB line should offer things that are hard to obtain the iBook line. iBooks should not offer the SDD drive option at all. 64 to 128mb VRAM should be offered on PB's.

And I think it is now the time to drop the 12" PB for a "powerhouse" 10" PB.

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

In order to watch HD movies you need a minimum of 64MB of GPU ram, 32MB will skip the movie.

I hope this new sub 500 USD Mac has a 64MB GPU, so I can view HD movies to a projector or HDTV. :)

9. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Part of what you pay for in the PB is potential, expandability. Don't want to install a 5400rpm HD yourself? Get a PB. Want a resolution greater than 1024x768? Get a PB. Want to use FW800? Get a PB. Like a screen larger than 14"? Get a PB. Simply need the best Mac performance you can get out of a laptop? Get a PB. And there are still a few more, as this forum knows all too well. These things are worth something to some people, even with the current, not-long-for-this-world lineup. Even the 12" still has a leg up that can be tremendously, critically important depending on your needs. Just ask Chrispy, or anyone who wants a SuperDrive in a 12". For some people, functionality trumps the abstract equation of price-performance. Price-performance only comes into play if all the computers under consideration meet your needs. If you need a computer that does certain things, and can afford it, that's the computer you buy. It's not a great deal if it doesn't do them. I submit my name for this week's Stating the Obvious award.

BUT if none of this is imporant to you-- and that might apply to most people-- or if budget is king, then of course get the iB. As has often been said here, it does a fair impersonation of the previous 1-2 generations of PowerBooks, and usually no more than a year behind. And its best feature (barring personal aesthetic case material tastes) is the absolutely beautiful price.

10. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

The other thing it tells us is that most people are too lazy to use the 'Search' function of this site. How many times can the same old comparisons and opinions be trotted out for people who can't be bothered to even check the list of currently active discussion threads?

Bring on the PowerBook updates just so there's something new to talk about in the iBook v PB threads! :)

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To be honest the search functions are basic at best.

And then you have the issue of searches that span 4 or more pages till you get to the question that you really need answered.

12. TrumanApple macrumors member

The assumption you are making is that everyone buys based on what you "need". Well i am going to say that most people buy based on what they 'want'. When those people decide if they should buy what they want, they look at the price, and if it is worth it to them, then they buy it, if not, then they dont.

If i were buying a computer, i would right now buy the ibook, hands down. I WANT the additional features of the powerbook, but will not pay that much more for them. The fact is there are two types of people buying apple laptops, the ones that NEED only the ibook, and the ones that NEED the powerbook. Most people only need the ibook, but apples goal should be to maximize pofits. The way to do this is to get as many poeple who only NEED an ibook to WANT a powerbook bad enough to pay extra for it. I think there are many people out there right now who dont need but want a powerbook, but they are buying ibooks because they are not willing to pay the 600 dollar differnece between the two (that number based on the 12").

13. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I don't see much of a distinction. Who are we to say for anyone else what they need/want and what the difference is? To take it to an illogical extreme, do any of us need any computer? To use a more concrete example, what does Chrispy care what I think he actually needs? I'm just going by what he says, and it's his money. In your case, your decision to buy the iBook prioritizes your wallet over the computer itself, and that is perfectly sensible and I would not/could not criticize that.

The point remains, there are things PBs can do that iBs can't and these are worth money to some people, whatever we might personally think about their needs and wants.

This whole fuss over the apparent closeness of the two lines is itself an aberration based on the lag in PB updates. We are in an odd elbow of between-time not uncommon in Mac-land, and this too shall pass.

14. TrumanApple macrumors member

All im saying is that if apple wants to sell more powerbooks, then they need to make them attractive for the price. The problem isnt whether they are close in specs to the ibook, but they price charged for them is not justified at all by the features. We know the CPU needs an upgrade, but why doesnt apple do other things to boost sales... such as better RAM... Everyone should use more than 256mb if they want good performance out of OS X, and most people buy 3rd party Ram from places like crucial and newegg. All im saying is apple either needs to lower the price, or increase the features so they can survive till this next update. People who are buying computers tend to have a very high elasticity of demand, and it becomes very easy to price yourself out of the market by keeping an outdated product at a cutting edge price (it was a cutting edge product when introduced, but not anymore by any stretch).

15. Floop thread starter macrumors regular

Except... I need the PowerBook... but I'm not going to buy it, because while I need the additional features, I'm not going to pay the premium for it when the iBook comes so close to the same featureset, for $600 less.

People in my position are waiting for the next PowerBook update before purchasing... if they put some distance between the two, then it will make sense to plunk down that hard cash.

Floop

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I think it might also help if there was a sticky thread on "iBook vs. PowerBook". Won't FIX the problem, of course, but it would help!

17. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

The price dip has already begun, at least in my neck of the woods. As I have previously posted, my on-campus college bookstore began the week before Christmas with new price drops on all current PBs, with the 12" starting around $1100 and the 15" at $1449.

hear-hear to the call for updates at MWSF and be done with it already!

18. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I have a perposal (as a joke of course)...

A sticky posting links to all eight bazillion ibook vs powerbook threads.

19. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Why? Threads tend to take a direction that the readers want it to. Floop did give a broad range of issues in his original post, but I think that we have done a good job here.

So far we have covered that PBs need to be more special than the iBs. That stickies on the topic might work since this question comes up so very often.

21. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Exactly

22. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I totally agree most people i know with PB's dont use or need its entirety of features, ports, ect. But that 15inch screen!!!! :eek: A thing of beauty

23. carlos700 macrumors regular

I just bought the iBook G4, because the PowerBook G4 is too close (except for the display) to the iBook G4 specifications.

I'm not saying the PowerBook G4 is bad, it just doesn't seem like a great deal like the iBook G4 does.

24. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

my ibook works fine i guess, its fast enough for me... no real problems.. not that im wanting any :p